Define 'Wild Camping' for me. (1 Viewer)

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
What constitutes wild camping ?

Obviously not on a campsite.

Obviously no EHU

Obviously no waste disposal or toilets

But what about the location ? are you 'wildcamping' in a free car park ?, in a paid for car park ? on a street ?.

May 22, 2008
Funster No

Obviously no EHU

But what about the location ? are you 'wildcamping' in a free car park ?, in a paid for car park ? on a street ?.
Strange Post from someone who has posted 657 times on here Methinks????????? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Hidden agenda ????:Blush::Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
to me anywhere that is not on an organised site or maybe should be called freecamping. Before anyone starts shouting freeloading I pay two lots of tax insurance and mot's for the privilage, otherwise I'd just use a B&B.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
to me anywhere that is not on an organised site or maybe should be called freecamping.

I would call it free parking, the generally accepted meaning of Camping is: setting up camp, ie chairs, table, BBQ etc

In Europe, true wild or wilderness camping places are few and far between..
All land is owned by someone and none or very little is set aside ( as in the USA ) for wilderness camping.

jim

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Obviously no EHU NOT TRUE

Obviously no waste disposal or toiletsNOT TRUE
Many aire have free water, free toilet dump and free electricity, there seems to be a lot you don't know.

As to wild camping much of it is done on unpaved parking areas, large and small some on the road side, some in streets, outside a friends house, on a police forecourt, on a railway station, almost anywhere that its possible to park the vehical.

Doug...

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Obviously no EHU NOT TRUE

Obviously no waste disposal or toiletsNOT TRUE

Many aire have free water, free toilet dump and free electricity, there seems to be a lot you don't know.

Doug...

Indeed Doug, but Aires are not wild camping .. they are official motorhome parking places..

there is no need to 'wild' or 'free' park in France ..

jim

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Indeed Doug, but Aires are not wild camping .. they are official motorhome parking places..

there is no need to 'wild' or 'free' park in France ..

jim

But Jim, these services are also available in Spain and Portugal, not as many I agree but they are there. and I do wild camp in France, I have done it many, many times as it sometimes suits me to stop where there is not an Aire.

Doug...

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I am well aware that aires provide water and electricity etc, if only from extensive reading of this site but I wouldn't assume anyone called aires 'wildcamping' .... but yes, there is a lot I dont know. never claimed otherwise.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Strange Post from someone who has posted 657 times on here Methinks????????? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Hidden agenda ????:Blush::Blush:

Not sure what is strange about it. I may have over 600 posts but what I dont have - yet - is a motorhome :ROFLMAO:

Hidden agenda ???? Dont know about that but yes, I had a reason for asking. I wanted to know if people in general consider car parks ( free or otherwise ) to be 'wildcamping'

If the idea I have enlarges itself then perhaps you will find out WHY I wanted to know. :Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Not sure what is strange about it. I may have over 600 posts but what I dont have - yet - is a motorhome :ROFLMAO:

Hidden agenda ???? Dont know about that but yes, I had a reason for asking. I wanted to know if people in general consider car parks ( free or otherwise ) to be 'wildcamping'

If the idea I have enlarges itself then perhaps you will find out WHY I wanted to know. :Smile:

Could this be a budding business venture methinks ????. If so best o luck.

Jim
:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But Jim, these services are also available in Spain and Portugal, not as many I agree but they are there. and I do wild camp in France, I have done it many, many times as it sometimes suits me to stop where there is not an Aire.

Doug...

Aires in Spain are indeed scant, not done much in Portugal yet.. only spent a few weeks there.

I would wild camp in France if the need arose and once I have a less conspicuous van I might be more inclined, but with such a vast selection of aires it would either need to be an emergency or a very remote place with no aire .. probably a beach.

jim

May 22, 2008
Funster No

Watch this space then ?:roflmto::roflmto:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

why does it matter what you call it, either you are happy to stay there or not, what you call it only brings the pedants out of the woodwork. Why should anyone feel the need to label everything.
The law apparently makes no distinction between camping or parking so I have been led to believe on here. I have always parked. I may well fall asleep whilst resting for a few hours. Hee hee.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
why does it matter what you call it, either you are happy to stay there or not, what you call it only brings the pedants out of the woodwork. Why should anyone feel the need to label everything.
The law apparently makes no distinction between camping or parking so I have been led to believe on here. I have always parked. I may well fall asleep whilst resting for a few hours. Hee hee.

For clarity ?

I think you are mistaken or been led astray, camping is not the same as overnight parking.

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, wild camping IS illegal, unless you have the permission of the landowner, you cannot camp anywhere other than a recognised campsite. The one exception to this is on parts of Dartmoor National Park, where wild camping is permitted in line with local bylaws.

.. Graham can you clarify ... ?

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope

In the greater scheme of things it doesn't make any difference Wildman but for me, just at this moment, it does.

A rose may smell as sweet regardless of what you call it but there is no point calling it a 'parking' rose if everyone else knows it as a 'wildcamping' rose. :ROFLMAO:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Oh this language of ours ::bigsmile:
I'm sure the term 'Wild camping' ,as applied to Motor Homes,originally meant stopping and spending at least one night in a location devoid of any 'amenities' and in a rural or 'wild' location.
However,with use,or misuse,it now seems to mean a plethera of different things to different people. The basic interpretation seems to be anywhere that is not a designated Motor Home parking area. Being free of charge seems to qualify as well :Smile: Also, I get the impression that,for some people, an element of being against current legislation seems to add a certain piquancy ::bigsmile:
The above are the impressions I have got from reading several posts since I have been on this site.
Rightly or wrongly-if I spent a weekend in our M/H without it being on EHU and with no toilet facilities other than the 'on-board' ones I would say we had been 'wilding' wherever it was parked.:ROFLMAO:
Mike
wish i'd read the posts above before submitting lol

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
so, you would call it 'wilding' on a CL if it had no facilities ?

jim

If I wanted to be pedantic,I'd probably say 'we've been 'sort of' wilding' But why do we have to label it ? As I said before the term 'Wild' seems to have many different meanings to different people. Hopefully it's all still FUN.

Mike.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Obviously no EHU

Hi Cowboy

Why dont you tell us what sort of a scheme it is your cooking up instead of dancing around it and then you may get a more relevant answer.

Cut too the chase man.

Jim
:shout:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
My understanding ( probably incorrect ) is that if you are parked up, not on a campsite, and you can wind out the awning if you have one, put out your table and chairs etc then you are wild camping. If you are parked at a place where it is not permissible to put out tables and chairs or awning etc then you are just parking even if it's for overnight or a short kip.

E&OE :ROFLMAO:

Phil.

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
The law apparently makes no distinction between camping or parking so I have been led to believe on here.

There is a distinction in parts of Almeria, Spain: if you have a habitation window open, an awning deployed or any other item projecting from the 'van, then you can be fined for camping. Othewise you are classed as parked.

FWIW, I think wild camping is sleeping in a tent, motorhome or caravan at a location with no specific facilities laid on and no charge levied for staying there, regardless of the legal status.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If I wanted to be pedantic,I'd probably say 'we've been 'sort of' wilding' But why do we have to label it ? As I said before the term 'Wild' seems to have many different meanings to different people. Hopefully it's all still FUN.

Mike.

Still FUN .. ::bigsmile:

but was that not why the OP asked "What constitutes wild camping ? "

a simple question..

jim

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Cowboy

Why dont you tell us what sort of a scheme it is your cooking up instead of dancing around it and then you may get a more relevant answer.

Cut too the chase man.

Jim

I think he just wanted to see what various people's perception of Wild Camping was.
It's certainly 'opened a can of worms' :ROFLMAO:
Mike

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Hi Cowboy

Cut too the chase man.

Jim

But this is such fun :ROFLMAO:

I will do when I clarify my thoughts a little more but the clues are there. I have started three threads today. 'define wild camping', 'a sensitive issue' and 'wildcamping basics' They are all related.

Jan & Simonne

Free Member
Oct 4, 2009
the Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 514SL
The definition for wild camping for us, is staying in the middle of nowhere, in the bushbush.:Smile:
Free camping for us is staying on an aire, sometimes free of charge, sometimes we have to pay.
We never ever stay on a campsite.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If a person lives in the back of his/her van parked anywhere and sleeps there at night but no one hears him/her snore or sees him/her wash up, is he/she actually there at all?

JJ:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back