Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
The issue is 'Travellers' but I would not like this to desend into a 'leave them alone / drive them out' debate. They are incidental to what I need to know and why I need to know it.

Where I live, on the roads I frequently travel, there WERE several laybys seperated from the road by a grass strip. Most of these were frequently visited by 'travellers'

The council may say that they did what they did to make the laybys more useable, rumour has it that they did it to stop the travellers using them. Either way, the council removed the grass strip and made the laybye 'continuous' with the road. hey presto, I have never seen a traveller in them since.

So what is the law/rule affecting this ? and what other 'parking places' would it affect ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My research - see Here - indicates that there is no national legislation which either specifically permits or prohibits roadside camping. There are local Traffic Regulation Orders which vary from place to place.

It may well be that a council has altered a layby to discourage its use by people wanting somewhere to stay overnight but I have no evidence of that (never thought to look into it). If it is a mechanism which avoids the anti-social consequences of some illegal camp sites then it may well be more cost-effective than passing and having to try to enforce a new TRO.

Graham

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Perhaps the removal of the grass strip has removed a place to tether their horses, so they no longer bother. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
It could be that lorries pulled onto the grass, churning it up and covering the road in mud.

Alan H

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
It could be that lorries pulled onto the grass, churning it up and covering the road in mud.

Alan H

Never noticed that happening. I am 99% certain it was to stop travellers stopping there. and it seems to have worked but need to know why.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never noticed that happening. I am 99% certain it was to stop travellers stopping there. and it seems to have worked but need to know why.

If you want the specific answer(s) for one or more locations, Graham, drop the council an e-mail asking them for copies of the reports etc which led to the decision(s) to alter the lay-by(s). Use the Freedom of Information route (you can normally find the right page through the A to Z route if it isn't obvious).

Graham

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
I think what Graham is asking is "did the council have power to do this?" and can it happen elsewhere. The answer is "it depends" you probably have three councils, Parish, District and County, normally the County is the Highway Authourity, probably the lay-by, verge and road are all Highway land. In which case I would guess they have statutary powers to improve the highway as they see fit. It may well be they had to advertise their proposals in the press and on site, but if no one objected............:Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think the main reason is safety, even travellers need to fee safe
without the protection of a grass verge segregating moving traffic, they would feel, as i would, vulnerable to careless or sleepy drivers ploughing into your bedroom:Eeek:

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I think the main reason is safety, even travellers need to fee safe
without the protection of a grass verge segregating moving traffic, they would feel, as i would, vulnerable to careless or sleepy drivers ploughing into your bedroom:Eeek:

Indeed, it may be as simple as that. My feeling was that it may be to do with the 'definition' of a road, or highway, and that having a grass strip may change the laybye from 'road' to something else.

I have no interest in the laybye, or the travellers, as such but am working on another idea which the council may use 'travellers' as a reason to ignore ( though I doubt that they would say so )

I am just trying to cover all the bases in my thought processes before continuing.:RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's all part of a master plan to tar mac the world ..
this negates the need to cut the grass .. :winky:

I wonder if the Itinerants submitted quote.. a bit like a busman's holiday :roflmto:

Did they also remove the hitching rails ?

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Graham, dont know your 'project' but I have often found it helps to get your local Councillor on board. Although officers (employees of Council) may have a tendency to say no and stick exactly to the rules, Councillors because they have to stand for election are often more sympathetic to local issues. A charity I help out with wanted a road sign and were refused point blank, but a few friendly letters to local councillors explaining our problem brought about not only a change of heart but 2 signs paid for by Council on Highway grounds.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
As I understand it a lay-by that has a dividing strip is not classed as part of the highway, but the lay by without the dividing strip is, therefore the police can say the you are causing an obstruction on the highway and move you on.

Doug...

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
As I understand it a lay-by that has a dividing strip is not classed as part of the highway, but the lay by without the dividing strip is, therefore the police can say the you are causing an obstruction on the highway and move you on.

Doug...

That sounds feasible, Thank you Doug.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Doug...

That's a new one on me. The Highways Act 1980 doesn't seem to define "lay-by" as such so as a lay-by includes a “carriageway” (a way constituting or comprised in a highway, being a way (other than a cycle track) over which the public have a right of way for the passage of vehicles) then it appears to me that a lay-by is always part of a highway.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong if there is a conflicting source though :Smile:

Graham

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
That's a new one on me. The Highways Act 1980 doesn't seem to define "lay-by" as such so as a lay-by includes a “carriageway” (a way constituting or comprised in a highway, being a way (other than a cycle track) over which the public have a right of way for the passage of vehicles) then it appears to me that a lay-by is always part of a highway.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong if there is a conflicting source though :Smile:

Graham

Since when have the police stopped interpreting the law to suit them selves or even in ignorance

Doug...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Doug...

The highway exends to the full width of the verges to the hedgerow on either side of the road so you can be done for causing an obstruction even if all wheels are off of the road and on the grass verge.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Doug is right, as are other posters, but a layby with a space between it and the road is likely to give more room for legal argument than one without. However, if there is no intervening space, such as a grass patch, there will be far more difficulty in pleading not guilty if one is charged with being on the roadway after lighting-up time and not displaying lights. That is probably part of the reasoning.

As one who cut his teeth arguing over such niceties a very long time ago, I threw my references away years ago, so here's a slight bon-bon instead.

The word "lay-by" is a mistake!!

The correct word was a "Lie-bay". This ws a railway term, used to denote a piece of track - a bay - where a slow train could le to allow a faster train to pass. Not alot of people know that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back