LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Can some one in simple laymans terms explain to a thicko,, please no complicated reply`s,, I am really thick when it comes to this sort of thing,, (Think I am thick on most things) :RollEyes:

Back at the site in Spain the free wifi so I have been told is up and down like a yo-yo.

So,,,

I am on o2 pay as you go,,, and all friends and relatives know that when abroad I only accept texts unless a dire emergency,, If any one calls me from the UK it costs me an arm and a leg..

I dont want to buy a new phone cos I very rarely use a mobile.. So can some one explain the use and cost of a "Dongle" can it be linked up to my PAYG uk phone and the approximate cost for one of these and the running costs,, and what is a dongle ??? :RollEyes:

I really do need at these times to be in touch with my grandkids through the internet.. and as said the internet is up and down and nearly non existent at "Marjal" for some reason..

Thanks.
Maurice.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can some one in simple laymans terms explain
Thanks.
Maurice.

The bottom line is simple - a dongle is a mobile phone without display/keyboard/speaker. Has it's own SIM just like any other phone. It has reception problems like a mobile phone.

From what I've picked up on the forums you are probably better buying a Spanish one.

But having said that Vodafone did some not quite arm and a leg offer this summer.

Link Removed

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks Brian. If I buy a Spanish one do you mean a dongle ?? and does that just plug into one of the holes in the computer.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Brian. If I buy a Spanish one do you mean a dongle ?? and does that just plug into one of the holes in the computer.. :RollEyes:

Yes dongle which will come with it's own SIM. It looks like a memory stick, needs a USB port and Windows. ( I'm pretty sure Windows is needed, might be wrong ).

If you buy a UK dongle it might be locked to one supplier so you are into faffing about trying to get it unlocked - not for the faint hearted though some on here have done it.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Dongle

Maurice,
I have a Spanish Vodafone Dongle, it cost €59 in initial data load and as Brian says is just a phone with it's own numer that plugs into a USB port. There are two ways of paying, usage or time. Mine came with 250 MB of usage with no time limit. I bought it because I intend to travel a bit in Spain and do not want to be caught out, as 3 days ago, because I use the net a lot.
So the way to use it is:- go online, read e-mails, forums etc. Offline and prepare responses in Word or whatever, back on line and post. You will have probably used a few KB of data. Therefore it will last a long time. Had mine since March and just run out due to being "re-registed". However if you want to surf and download movies etc then this is not a cost effective method.
Rgds
JK

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi, first of all your phone doesn't cost an arm and a leg to use in Spain, it's 18 pence per minute to receive a call, [ you pay ] and 35 pence per minute to make a call [ you pay ].That to me is pretty cheap to sit in my van and talk to family :roflmto::roflmto: I have a 3 Dongle and it doesn't work at all on the Continent, so if I want Internet I use WI FI if I can find a site, most camp sites or Hotels have WI FI now , if the camp site WI FI is iffy go to an Hotel for a drink and take your lap top ,or use an Internet Cafe or go to WESTERN UNION Offices the Internet is very cheap there. Or as a previous poster said get a Spanish or French Dongle depending on where you are, I don't know how reliable they are but I know Internet outlets as stated are great. :roflmto::roflmto:
My 3 Donglei Is pay and go and I top up £15 a month, the good thing about it is that I can let it die [ run out of credit ] for up to a year and just top it up when I want to use it again, great as I spend several months out of England each year.
It cost me £49-99 to buy it originally but I believe you can get them free now.:Blush::Blush:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Maurice,
I have a Spanish Vodafone Dongle, it cost €59 in initial data load and as Brian says is just a phone with it's own numer that plugs into a USB port. There are two ways of paying, usage or time. Mine came with 250 MB of usage with no time limit. I bought it because I intend to travel a bit in Spain and do not want to be caught out, as 3 days ago, because I use the net a lot.
So the way to use it is:- go online, read e-mails, forums etc. Offline and prepare responses in Word or whatever, back on line and post. You will have probably used a few KB of data. Therefore it will last a long time. Had mine since March and just run out due to being "re-registed". However if you want to surf and download movies etc then this is not a cost effective method.
Rgds
JK

Cheers Mate.. If I remember rightly you will be there when we get back,, praps you can help me get one of these things.. I only want it to receive and send e.mails.. Ta!! :thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

General question:- Can you still purchase a SIM card in Spain without an address, I thought there was something recently about having to register a Spanish mobile number ?

Do you know what the problem is with the site Wifi, it could just be the area/position that people are pitched that is causing the poor reception/signal.

Having looked at lots of threads on this subject it would seem the best and most cost effective way is to use a Wifi connection either on a site or at places like McDonald's.

If its only a reception problem on your campsite, you may want to look at getting a Aerial Booster for you laptop, I think Maplins sell one, but I sure someone will provide more details.

Oct 23, 2008
Clay Cross, Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 1998
Re: Dongles

Have you considered a travel sim card? see Link Removed . Put the sim in an unlocked phone and you can make voice calls from overseas (for europe not as cheap as e.g. tesco/o2 ) But you can receive voice calls for free by getting callers in UK to ring you. They dial/text a UK number and talk to you at normal UK >UK rates (or even in their 'free' call element of their monthly bundle etc. ) I used this in Sth Africa to keep contact with UK recently...reception is good both ways.
The travel sim card costs ?? @ £20 , but you get a credit for most of that charge to use for calls. There is a fair usage clause where you are expected to dial out as well as receive calls, but 95% of my calls were to receive only....sending a couple of texts seemed to keep them happy! The card does not expire after 12 months like some others, but you do have to top-up to keep it active with a credit balance.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi,

General question:- Can you still purchase a SIM card in Spain without an address, I thought there was something recently about having to register a Spanish mobile number ?

Do you know what the problem is with the site Wifi, it could just be the area/position that people are pitched that is causing the poor reception/signal.

Having looked at lots of threads on this subject it would seem the best and most cost effective way is to use a Wifi connection either on a site or at places like McDonald's.

If its only a reception problem on your campsite, you may want to look at getting a Aerial Booster for you laptop, I think Maplins sell one, but I sure someone will provide more details.

I am not sure about the address thing..

Dont know what the problem is,, the first couple of weeks were fine,, all be it a bit slow, then a few days before we returned it got slower and slower, to the extent if you could get on within mins you lost it and it just got worse.. some times it showed as local connection only then the next min it was international.. :Doh:

Thanks Braunston.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't know enough about Wifi to really help on what the problem could be but I think JSW has one of those aerial things for your laptop, perhaps he could provide a little info on whether it may help with your situation.

Only I really do think if you could resolve the Wifi problem that would be the best way to go, just my opinion.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I am not sure about the address thing..

Dont know what the problem is,, the first couple of weeks were fine,, all be it a bit slow, then a few days before we returned it got slower and slower, to the extent if you could get on within mins you lost it and it just got worse.. some times it showed as local connection only then the next min it was international.. :Doh:

Thanks Braunston.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Maurice ..

If there is Wifi on the site, a Wifi antenna will boost the site signal significantly, when we were at the CL the wifi was out of range, this bit of kit picked it up no problem and I had 5 bars on the signal meter.. highly recommend it :thumb:

Link Removed

The Hawking Hi-Gain Wireless-300N USB Dish Adapter extends your wireless network 6 times and boosts your data throughput 12 times! It is capable of transfering data up to 300Mbps. The Wireless-300N USB Dish Adapter is designed with advanced Directional Dish Technology for excellent range and performance. A built-in dual antenna concentrates wireless signals for extended wireless range of up to 600%*, compared to a standard network adapter. It is the most powerful 802.11n Wireless Networking Adapter on the market. Furthermore, it is backward compatible with Wireless 802.11b and 802.11g and will operate on the highest throughput that your network allows.

Have a Google, they have came down in price significantly since I bought mine..

jim

Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
dongle

Peeps,
You need to produce your passport, and a address where you are staying, camp site or whatever, they don't check and you original invoice. Recently all foreign mobiles had to be re-registered, if not the number would be lost along with any credit. Something to do with terrorists/crooks, but as no real checks what is the point, it's free, which is unusual.
The problem here (Marjal) is that the wi-fi here is up and down because of the routers failing and the management cannot be arsed to fix them quickly. The wi-fi is free (well included in site fee) and I guess you sometimes get what you pay for.
Jk

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Maurice ..

If there is Wifi on the site, a Wifi antenna will boost the site signal significantly, when we were at the CL the wifi was out of range, this bit of kit picked it up no problem and I had 5 bars on the signal meter.. highly recommend it :thumb:

jim

Another option is to buy a usb Wifi dongle ( don't confuse with a GPRS dongle ) and a 3 mt USB extension cable ( I think that is the max length without losing too much signal), this can be put up on the roof, I've even seen them mounted on poles .. enclose in a stout plastic bag to protect from the weather..

jim

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
dongles

Hi
I have bought a vodafone dongle here in spain but you do need to take in your passport when purchasing.The initial cost is 59 euros with 250 megabytes of data which expires after 7 days, you can then topup 49 euros a month with unlimited usage or 59 euros for
1 gigabyte lasting 90 days a lot more expensive than england.
Vodafone.es has a very good website in english giving all there tarrifs
alan

Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Dongle

"Hi
I have bought a vodafone dongle here in spain but you do need to take in your passport when purchasing.The initial cost is 59 euros with 250 megabytes of data which expires after 7 days, you can then topup 49 euros a month with unlimited usage or 59 euros for
1 gigabyte lasting 90 days a lot more expensive than england.
Vodafone.es has a very good website in english giving all there tarrifs
alan "

Alan, did you see my post? Mine has no expiry date, no/month charge, just top up as a normal pay as you go. There must be different deals around.
JK

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: There is a USB Broadband Dongle advertised in the FREE English newspapers on the Costas. Contact info:-

info@memobileinternet.com - phone 902 907 910

PAY AS YOU GO - 20 Euros - Used on Vodafone & Orange Network

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back