Full timing in reverse (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
After 10 years living fulltime as a family in an RV travelling and working as we go, we have
now bought a house and will hopefully be moving in shortly.

Things have changed in house ownership in relation to deals on gas and electric supplies,
TV packages , broadband , phone, stupid rules on recycling ( there's no such thing as global warming !! ) Home insurance , contents insurance, council tax , water rates, Tv licence.

All these things we haven't had to worry about for so long.

Now , we have trawelled through hundreds of pages of , buy this , change to us, sign up and get a free Rolf Harris DVD................................

Has anyone got any views on any deals or suppliers of the necessary sevices especially
gas , elec, telephone , broadband and TV ( not cable ) We are in West Yorkshie if that makes any difference .

Any advice on how to recycle a family of fours rubbish into two tiny bins gratefully received

Thanks

www.daisydraper.co.uk

TimG

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Minehead, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
We have just gone through the same after full timing for three years. It comes as a bit of a culture shock!! Having to pay for a Tv licence,council tax etc.

After searching I found that talktalk offered the best package for calls and broadband. Can't help with council tax but use a comparison site for your utillities. Also can't help with the weather!Counting the days to when we escape to spain.

Tim G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any advice on how to recycle a family of fours rubbish into two tiny bins gratefully received

Thanks

It's a joke. We split it up. We put it out, They come when they feel like it. Only the rubbish gets collected regularly. I've just put this weeks cans and glass in the garage and hope they collect next week. Not sure if the paper and cardboard got collected or blown away, I'm past caring.

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Talk Talk is definately the best phone and Broadband package especially if you like to phone family abroad regularly. You get unlimited Broadband plus their International calls package costs just under £10 a month which gives you free (60minutes then redial for a further 60 minutes and on and on) calls to 32 countries plus you get free local calls evenings and weekends.
I have also negotiated a terrific sim only mobile deal with their Carphone warehouse arm that gives me 1000 O2 minutes to any network for £15 month. Its normally £20 for 600 minutes but its amazing what you can get out of them if you get to speak to the disconnection guys and threaten to go elsewhere with your next contract. I have the magic phone number if anybody wants it. ::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
After 10 years living fulltime as a family in an RV travelling and working as we go, we have now bought a house and will hopefully be moving in shortly.

Things have changed in house ownership in relation to deals on gas and electric supplies,
TV packages , broadband , phone, stupid rules on recycling ( there's no such thing as global warming !! ) Home insurance , contents insurance, council tax , water rates, Tv licence.

Has anyone got any views on any deals or suppliers of the necessary sevices especially
gas , elec, telephone , broadband and TV ( not cable ) We are in West Yorkshie if that makes any difference .

Any advice on how to recycle a family of fours rubbish into two tiny bins gratefully received.
Blimey!
Welcome back and.........good luck!!

Searching for the best utility supplier is not a problem and very simple to do. I use http://www.uswitch.com/ which shows you the best deals for your area. To work it out you really need a full twelve month billing to get a more precise figure, so make sure you do this on an an annual basis.

A friend or someone on the forum may well recommend a utility supplier they use, but price can vary from one area to another, particularly with gas, electric and water.

As for advice on 'recycling' I am fortunate in having an open fire and living in an area which is still wonderfully 'non-pc' and not smokeless so can burn anything. :Smile:

Also useful to keep the bin near the front door so all your junk mail can go straight into it! You will soon get sick of it coming through your letterbox each day.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Talk Talk is definately the best phone and Broadband package. You get unlimited Broadband......
How 'unlimited' though Tony?

The cheapest on their site at £17.74 a month has a download limit of 40gb a month which is pretty much useless to me (just downloaded more than that in one week!). Also, ignoring the claims from the supplier, what kind of speed and width do you get?

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
How 'unlimited' though Tony?

The cheapest on their site at £17.74 a month has a download limit of 40gb a month which is pretty much useless to me (just downloaded more than that in one week!). Also, ignoring the claims from the supplier, what kind of speed and width do you get?

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband

You sure? 40 gb is massive. :Smile:

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Seek out your most frail neighbours and put your excess in their bins.

They are too weedy to complain.

Survival of the fittest!

I thought that where you live the scallies came in from the city and robbed the bins so no
need to worry.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will just get a pin and shut my eyes.

As for the rubbish I think Hilldweller has the right idea !

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I thought that where you live the scallies came in from the city and robbed the bins so no
need to worry.

Oi! It's alright round here!

And don't forget we know where you live now.
I'll be filling all your bins with our rubbish every time I'm passing.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You sure? 40 gb is massive. :Smile:
Just downloaded two torrent files...one at 32gb, the other 12gb, so a total of 44gb.

It may sound a lot but some torrents are quite big so a monthly download limit of 40gb is no use to me at all.

Tony reckons he gets totally unlimited broadband with TalkTalk for under a tenner a month, including free phone calls. I'd like to see the link to that.

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
After 10 years living fulltime as a family in an RV travelling and working as we go, we have
now bought a house and will hopefully be moving in shortly.

All these things we haven't had to worry about for so long.

Now , we have trawelled through hundreds of pages of , buy this , change to us, sign up and get a free Rolf Harris DVD................................

Thanks

Link Removed

Congrats on buying the house, you'll soon get get to the stage where you don't care how much you pay for telephone etc, if only the other firms would stop calling you up to offer you a better deal!!! And youknow how many stories we've got about the recycling.

Good luck.
Dave, Sam and kids (getting too many to write out now)

OP
OP
billym
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Congrats on buying the house, you'll soon get get to the stage where you don't care how much you pay for telephone etc, if only the other firms would stop calling you up to offer you a better deal!!! And youknow how many stories we've got about the recycling.

Good luck.
Dave, Sam and kids (getting too many to write out now)

I didn't know you were on here !! How's things. We still may well be coming down again
for next year. Not sure yet. ( Daisy and school may be an issue ! )

We have already got to the stage of not caring how much we will pay. We had no idea there is so much choice.

Will be in touch

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I didn't know you were on here !! How's things. We still may well be coming down again
for next year. Not sure yet. ( Daisy and school may be an issue ! )

We have already got to the stage of not caring how much we will pay. We had no idea there is so much choice.

Will be in touch

Been herefor a little while now.

Give us a shout if you are in the area, it would be good to catch up.

We may be heading North in Jan/Feb (really must get up to see parents) sometme so we might drop in on you on the way through.

If we dont speak before, have a great Christmas and New Year.

David

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Has anyone got any views on any deals or suppliers of the necessary sevices especially gas , elec, telephone , broadband and TV

Yes. IMMEDIATELY stop this nonsense, sell the house now, NOW, and move back into your lovely big RV.

Take several large glasses of rioja, lie down until the madness goes away, and just put the whole thing down to a moment of age-induced insanity.

Then go & buy your gas from a garage, get your electric from a solar panel, use your mobile phone for everything, & watch satellite tv. Preferably from somewhere hot.

Bruce & Marion (doing all of the above somewhere in Australia).

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Try Sky. They have an excellent unlimited broad band telephone and sky tv package.

We are very happy with them.

Also try here www.moneysupermarket.com for all price comparison stuff.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Well done for organising your finances so that you can afford to buy a house.

I've met quite a few full timers over the years in France and Spain who would love to come back to the UK to live but are unable to afford any kind of property and feel trapped in their transient existence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back