What is considered expensive? (1 Viewer)

Gordon-G

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
Bathgate/Orihuela Costa
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
hello again everyone. While still new at this and not quite up for wild camping yet, I was wondering what is the "average" price for an overnight pitch? My wife and I were planning a weekend away to join a couple of friends at a site in East Lothian in February, and when we looked at the price for a serviced pitch it was nearly a hundred pounds for three nights! in February! We stayed at Scone Palace in September and I'm sure it wasn't even half that. Is this expensive or am I just being overly thrifty?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have just had a look at Drummohr near Musselburgh ,that's £72 for 3 nights if it's any use to you.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We recon anything over a fiver a night is expensive. Didn't spend a large chunk of the life savings on a van with full facilities to go and pay someone else for facilities we don't need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Dont stay in campsites in the UK far too expensive, just come back from skiing in France £160 for 11 nights with hook up and wifi !!!

We always wild camp in the UK loads of places to stay.

In Europe its much better for campers we very rarely pay for any aires as most are free and in lovely locations.

£100 a night , i pay less than that for a 5 star hotel in Dubai !!!!!

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Why do you feel the need for a camp site nevermind a serviced pitch. You have a motor home not a caravan.
In fact in my view, if you want to spend time on sites you don't want a motor home, a caravan would be so much better.
A motor home is fully loaded and designed to be fully independant from sites. All you need is a car park / layby and a supply of water / toilet waste once week - sorted!

cant agree with that at all.

i have a motorhome...sometimes i like to travel tour wild camp and be completely independent.

some times i like to set down get my bikes off or scooter out and be like a caravanner..

each to their own if you ask me.

as for it being expensive? i have stayed on sites that are 90 e a night and ive stayed on sites that were a fiver. its all about what you want and why.

a travel lodge is cheaper than owning a MH ..someone once done a spread sheet taking in to consideration .deprieciation running cost etc . you can get about 20 travel lodge nights for the same money..

but?

Why the hell would you want too? and would you?

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Why do you feel the need for a camp site nevermind a serviced pitch. You have a motor home not a caravan.
In fact in my view, if you want to spend time on sites you don't want a motor home, a caravan would be so much better.
A motor home is fully loaded and designed to be fully independant from sites. All you need is a car park / layby and a supply of water / toilet waste once week - sorted!
Yes but..................it is the OPs decision. We all use ours to our own satisfaction and that is how it should be i.e. no judgments (y)

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
hello again everyone. While still new at this and not quite up for wild camping yet, I was wondering what is the "average" price for an overnight pitch? My wife and I were planning a weekend away to join a couple of friends at a site in East Lothian in February, and when we looked at the price for a serviced pitch it was nearly a hundred pounds for three nights! in February! We stayed at Scone Palace in September and I'm sure it wasn't even half that. Is this expensive or am I just being overly thrifty?
I use sites all of the time because that is what my wife wants to and to be honest, it doesn't bother me, I got a Motorhome, yeehaa!. I haven't had to pay £100 for three nights and doubt I ever would in Feb. Most we have paid is £84 pus pence in the summer. Loads of sites out there much cheaper, you mentioned Scone, even in the summer, it is cheap and really nice for the money. I think Grantown on Spey charges around £28/night for a serviced pitch in the summer but well worth it in my opinion although there are other adequate pitches at £25/night. You can be thrifty and find good sites. Try Forfar, Moffat, Strathclyde, Killin et al. good luck(y)

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
We are all different and have different needs, but you have to expect when posting on an open forum, that there will be diverse answers, sometimes contrary to our own norms.
When the kids came away with us, we would head for big commercial sites, with swimming pools etc and would go back, year after year for them to meet up with their caravanning friends.
If me and the missus got away by ourselves for a few days, we would head for CLs or more exclusive sites.
When I get my new van in April and start solo touring, the only criteria will be for my dog to be welcome, so I may visit commercial sites, or CLs and CSs, or I may decide to follow @Stealaway and not mix with any of you lot :LOL:
Diverse answers to the question yes but sometimes the question is not answered (jokes aside) instead we get directives.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I am over sixty and a solo motorhomer so with the C&CC I average about £11 per night with my concessions..which I think is is good value . Some Aires in France were costing similar with no proper facilities and all french municipal sites were much more expensive ..

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are quite picky about what we pay per night, a lot of the CC clubsites have a mid-week discount and if you look around you can always find a deal.
We try not to go over £15. Per night, even then it adds up over a week, we use a lovely CL near family-£5. Per night and if you stay 7 nights you only pay for 6-no EHU tho!
Lyndon Top is a fantastic place but no EHU, lovely when the weather picks up!

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I am very much in the "It's your van, do what you want with it" camp. I will dislike paying the new 10Euros for a night in Calais (going to nearby restaurant) more than the 70Euros I will pay in Spain during the school holidays.
Do your own thing, if you feel it is value for money go again if not then choose from the thousands of other places you can camp/park.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's really all about location.

If the site in question is exactly where you want/need to be then pay what they ask. If there's somewhere in a better location for you then go there instead.

We happily pay the €60-€70 per night in Italy to camp directly on the shores of the lakes. We won't pay £10 per night for a campsite in the UK, or anywhere else, that's in the middle of nowhere several miles from anywhere useful or in a location that doesn't interest us.

I don't understand the idea of going to a particular site at a particular time for no other reason that it's cheap. I'd rather stay at home than do that.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think the most expensive we have used in the last 8 years was 26€ a night, but then again it was two nights and then 12 nights on free aires so averaged that 2 week bit at less than 2€ a night. If it's somewhere you want to visit then the cost is irrelevant, however paying a high charge for somewhere in the middle of nowhere is a different matter.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
It's really all about location.

If the site in question is exactly where you want/need to be then pay what they ask. If there's somewhere in a better location for you then go there instead.

We happily pay the €60-€70 per night in Italy to camp directly on the shores of the lakes. We won't pay £10 per night for a campsite in the UK, or anywhere else, that's in the middle of nowhere several miles from anywhere useful or in a location that doesn't interest us.

I don't understand the idea of going to a particular site at a particular time for no other reason that it's cheap. I'd rather stay at home than do that.

Can't fault that.......blimey, agreeing with another @NickNic post....what's happening to me:rofl:

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Only used one site in east lothian as we lived there but liked Yellowcraigs club site and no way was it 100 for 3 nights but it didn't have club house and leisure facilities. Seems a bit pricey for Feb but there is a mid term holiday that month.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
But not happy to pay a few quid for camping.. Makes ya laugh doesn't it ..?? Lol
We're not all in that boat (or Moho as the case might be) and, certainly in my books £100 for 3 nights in the depths of winter and being in Krankie land is well over the top for us.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Diverse answers to the question yes but sometimes the question is not answered (jokes aside) instead we get directives.
I see your point, but to me this is just another example of the diversity on the site, as I see a directive being something issued by someone who has control over me, be it an instruction or a rule issued by site admin, or something issued by my employer.
Please don't get me wrong, I see yours and others' views on Stealaway's comments as being equally as valid as mine, it's just I'm not as bothered by him voicing that opinion in the way he did.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
what is the "average" price for an overnight pitch?
I don't think it's possible to come up with an "average" price because there's no "average" pitch. You'd need to check against facilities & extras such as pool &/or gym, child-friendly facilities, on-site bar &/or restaurant, shop, fishing etc, & whether they're included in your fee or cheaper for those on site.
Is this expensive or am I just being overly thrifty?
If you're prepared to pay it, to get what you want (in this case, time with your friends) then it's worth it - to you, at that time. It may be different for somebody else, or even for you if you weren't meeting up with friends. Anything is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.
I didn't know there was a "thing" about using a site, or did I get the wrong impression?
Some people have a "thing" about it, just as some have a "thing" about UK motorhomes, or clubs, etc. Mostly people just do what they want to, & go where they prefer, and enjoy it. Hope you do too!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deleted User

Ours isn't:)...........and I spent half my working life looking for lay bye's and car parks to sleep in, definitely last resort now.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
But not happy to pay a few quid for camping.. Makes ya laugh doesn't it ..?? Lol

I still can not see why any one would buy a motorhome and all the extra expense that involves --- Why not simply buy a much cheaper caravan and spend the savings on site fees.

Motor homes and site fees amounts to a double whammy.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Facilities define what sort of charges are made, whether its worth it to you depends on what facilities you actually find useful.
To us child friendly, bar on site (ie drunks on site) are reasons to avoid a site, and the only facilities we actually use are swmbo uses the showers.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I still can not see why any one would buy a motorhome and all the extra expense that involves --- Why not simply buy a much cheaper caravan and spend the savings on site fees.

Motor homes and site fees amounts to a double whammy.
The choice of having the best of both worlds and the ability to slot in to either lifestyle at a moments notice.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We're not all in that boat (or Moho as the case might be) and, certainly in my books £100 for 3 nights in the depths of winter and being in Krankie land is well over the top for us.
Would be the same for me..no way could I justify that sort of cost.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Would be the same for me..no way could I justify that sort of cost.
That's basically what it's all about. Cost but importantly justifying the cost.
Lots of folk on here are happily meandering about and stop where they choose and the cost of site is secondary. However, there are lots who need to factor in all their outgoings and a lot of times, site fees are an unnecessary cost. For some, £40 a night is acceptable whereas for others free or a couple of £'s is enough.
From my perspective, I think charging £30+ for a bit of grass or hard standing extortionate but there are others who'd happily pay double that for a night and they're probably the ones with all singing, all dancing Mohos with inverters, 4 solar panels, 2/3 leisure batteries and want EHU too.
I'm not in that camp

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back