Couple arrested over pensioner’s stolen cash (which he’d put in the fridge) (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Oh well, they got the van at a bargain price, the compensation they should receive will leave them in pocket and the old bloke got his money

Not a bad result all round, dare I say it

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
The gloucs. plod will be vilified for their pathetic response to this and rightly so. After all, a young married couple with a baby who arrived in a vehicle and were clearly identifiable etc. are hardly going to escape to south America with it are they? Whatever the actual truth of the matter is and despite many and varied scenarios portrayed by the serious rumour squad, mistakes were made by people involved and consequences will have to be accepted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The dad was sharp enough to ask for cash.........to safeguard his pension.........surely he was sharp enough to know where he hid it.

I think he was trying to hide the dosh from his daughter, saying he put it in a drawer.
When she couldn't get her hands on it insisted that the police were called.
Very easy to make assumptions,when not knowing the full facts I would give him the benefit of doubt he could have dementia or altzeimers or something similar for all we know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Oh well, they got the van at a bargain price, the compensation they should receive will leave them in pocket and the old bloke got his money

Not a bad result all round, dare I say it
Presumably the cash has now been declared to the DWP as well.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
out of curiosity (as many have said that the couple got a bargain) how much would that van have been really worth?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Could have dementia .. dad refused to bank his savings the last two years of his life ... didn't trust them. One day I realised it had disappeared .. I don't know when ..

Dad showed me his new hiding place ..... the brown wheelie bin .. obviously emptied several times since I had last seen the money. :(

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
out of curiosity (as many have said that the couple got a bargain) how much would that van have been really worth?
There is an 1992 on the internet (trade) 78000 miles for under £5000
Probably be able to knock a few hundred off for cash.

All being equal assuming same condition, mileage and fuel etc.

Could be that the van was priced to sell and both got a decent deal.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A few years ago we was looking to upgrade our 1980ish Hobby
After seeing and advert for a van we liked, and several phone calls, we drove 120 miles to make the purchace
The MH turned out to be a total joke, damp everywhere, solar panel smashed, sat system hanging off wall and damaged, upholstery filthy.. well you get the picture..
left the bloke and started on the journey home..
Had gone about 40 miles when we was stopped by the police.
Bloke claimed we had stolen the keys, probably with the intent of returning to steal it..
A quick chat with the two officers and they soon realised the guy was trying it on..
I suggested the chances were good that as the van was in such a state the seller might well have been preparing the scene to 'steal' the MH himself and claim the insurance

Officers made several notes and said they would be watching matey very closely !!

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Don't we all hide things in are MHs. incase the scum bags get in.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A lot of older folk don't like banks.
If he was savvy enough to advertise, I think he knowingly hid the money then tried to cover himself when he had to explain to daughter where van went, perhaps not realising the consequences.

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Why on earth should the police actually lock up a young couple on the 2nd hand words of the old guys daughter - question them -yes of course but lock them up? nonsense!!:confused:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A lot of older folk don't like banks.
My late MIL did, 3 or 4 accounts with substantial amounts.
She also told us she had money hidden in the house.
When we found it it was in £1000 bundles hidden in folded scarves and pairs of tights in a drawer.
£7000 in total.....she called it 'ready cash' for emergencies.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My late MIL did, 3 or 4 accounts with substantial amounts.
She also told us she had money hidden in the house.
When we found it it was in £1000 bundles hidden in folded scarves and pairs of tights in a drawer.
£7000 in total.....she called it 'ready cash' for emergencies.
My Mum always told me "When I'm gone there is money in a biscuit tin in the drawer under the divan bed".

Unfortunately, she was taken ill when we were in France and we had to make a rushed journey back to the UK.

My family were telling me, on the telephone, that she was saying that she needed to see me to tell me something important, but by the time we reached the hospital she had had a stroke and was incapable of talking to us. She died the following day.

As we cleared the house we found that there was no biscuit tin under the bed. However, we eventually found it elsewhere and realised that, perhaps, her last wish was to tell us where she had placed it.

There was a substantial amount but I couldn't face counting it for some days.

Thanks Mum!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My Mum always told me "When I'm gone there is money in a biscuit tin in the drawer under the divan bed".

Unfortunately, she was taken ill when we were in France and we had to make a rushed journey back to the UK.

My family were telling me, on the telephone, that she was saying that she needed to see me to tell me something important, but by the time we reached the hospital she had had a stroke and was incapable of talking to us. She died the following day.

As we cleared the house we found that there was no biscuit tin under the bed. However, we eventually found it elsewhere and realised that, perhaps, her last wish was to tell us where she had placed it.

There was a substantial amount but I couldn't face counting it for some days.

Thanks Mum!
..wanted to 'like' that but it didn't seem right :(.

Pleased you found the money .. mum wanted you to have it, bless her. I understand why old people don't trust banks .. would never judge without knowing full facts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back