Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
"Thank you for your email.

Our speed limit source for Europe is the FIA. They have given limits for motorcaravans in France over 3500kgs as 90kmh for motorways and 80kmh for other roads outside of towns.

There are higher limits for what the French define as passenger carrying vehicles but this has not been clarified. The French equivalent of the Club has published an article [I have seen a third party translation only] stating that camping cars over 3500kgs are still passenger carrying vehicles and subject to the higher limits of 110kmh for motorways, 100kmh for major dual carriageways and 80kmh for other roads.

Due to these conflicting views from France you will find a lot of conflicting information on the internet. As yet we have had no formal confirmation as to which is correct from a French government office.

For the time being we can only suggest adhering to the lower limit until things can be clarified.

As for labelling up your vehicle there is no actually compulsion to do so. The treaty of Vienna [an EU treaty] exempts you from having to do such things as you are not required to have such speed stickers for the UK. As a tourist you are legal abroad if you are legal in you home country [hence A-frames can be used to tow cars abroad also]. There is a six month limit with this treaty, after that you must localise your vehicle by formally importing it to the country of your stay. Then you will have to use stickers with numbers.

The problem is how do you explain the treaty of Vienna to a gendarme? Unless your French is very good you may struggle.

We have suggested to the NCC that they produce a standard multi lingual letter that can be carried by a touring unit user [caravan users have similar problems too] explaining the treaty and our rights [their rights too] to travel freely in their country as a visitor."

I recall this was dicsussed earlier this year, and as we are due to set sale in December, I contacted the C&CC, for their view. This is the reply, and it goes some way towards explaining why there are differing views.

For ease of life, and less than £7.00 I have opted to purchase them.

Nomadic

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I would think that also meant you do not need an extra pair of spectacles, warning triangles, spare bulbs, that bid square warning sign for cycle racks, etc, etc, etc, but I wouldn't try it.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
unfortunately the C & CC are not the authority in france or anywhere else for that matter

be aware that the french gendarmerie don't accept their ruling and french motorhomers are unhappy that , if their vehicle is over 3,500Kg , their speeds are now restricted and they must have the appropriate stickers all over the back of their vehicle

the argument that if it is legal in the uk then it is legal elsewhere is specious eg
don't try driving at 60mph on ordinary french roads
beecause it is legal to drive aged 17 in the UK and you hold a full licence doesn't mean you can drive in france !

I thought the golden rule was that you had to abide by the law of the country in which you find yourself

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
unfortunately the C & CC are not the authority in france or anywhere else for that matter

be aware that the french gendarmerie don't accept their ruling and french motorhomers are unhappy that , if their vehicle is over 3,500Kg , their speeds are now restricted and they must have the appropriate stickers all over the back of their vehicle

the argument that if it is legal in the uk then it is legal elsewhere is specious eg
don't try driving at 60mph on ordinary french roads
beecause it is legal to drive aged 17 in the UK and you hold a full licence doesn't mean you can drive in france !

I thought the golden rule was that you had to abide by the law of the country in which you find yourself

Lebesset

The C&CC have not set themselves up as "the authority" they clearly state their source.

It also explains why there is so much discontent, introducing new regulations without repealing old ones.

Only the French government can regulate, if they want to!!

Nomadic

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
OK-I'm happy to bite the bullet-what stickers do I need for a 3,500 kg vehicle ?
Also I guess I need a thingy on my bike rack-what's that and where do I get all these things?

May 22, 2008
Funster No
OK-I'm happy to bite the bullet-what stickers do I need for a 3,500 kg vehicle ?
Also I guess I need a thingy on my bike rack-what's that and where do I get all these things?
You only need speed stickers if over 3500 kgs and warning boards are available from Camping Shops. I have the Stickers on my van as it's 4600 kgs HGV I bought them over the phone on the net and they cost about £7 delivered. :roflmto::roflmto:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is 3880kg on the rating plate, and is registered as PHGV so I assume I need these. What exactly is/are the required sticker(s)?
:help:

Because my van is not obviously over 3500 to the casual observer, do you think I would be better off not having the stickers but just keeping to the speed limits (no real hardship as driving it fast has a dire effect on fuel economy)

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Mine is 3880kg on the rating plate, and is registered as PHGV so I assume I need these. What exactly is/are the required sticker(s)?
:help:

Because my van is not obviously over 3500 to the casual observer, do you think I would be better off not having the stickers but just keeping to the speed limits (no real hardship as driving it fast has a dire effect on fuel economy)
110 kmph Motorway 100kmph Dual carriageway and 80 kmph single carriagewayare the stickers, I assume you have a fire extinguisher, Triangles and High Viz vests in your van for France? so why not have the stickers,if a Gendarme decides to check your van you will not be a happy bunny .:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
110 kmph Motorway 100kmph Dual carriageway and 80 kmph single carriagewayare the stickers, I assume you have a fire extinguisher, Triangles and High Viz vests in your van for France? so why not have the stickers,if a Gendarme decides to check your van you will not be a happy bunny .:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Sorry to appear thick but can you confirm that what I need is 3 stickers 80,100,110. can they just be stuck in a row or is there some special way of displaying them.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Sorry to appear thick but can you confirm that what I need is 3 stickers 80,100,110. can they just be stuck in a row or is there some special way of displaying them.
Hi I don't know for sure the correct way to display the stickers, but from what I saw on the trucks in France and what I have done is put them in a pile on the LEFT REAR of my van in order of number IE 110 at the top then 100 then 80 [ Descending order.] and my GB sticker is below this.:Smile::Smile::Smile:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the stickers are to allow the authorities to identify vehicles with lower speed limits
it is not easy to identify a vehicle which weighs , say, 3850 and not 3500 ; for this reason it is a serious offence NOT to display the requisite stickers

~I am sure none of us would like to be continuously stopped to check the weight of our motorhomes!

LittleKath00

Free Member
Sep 21, 2007
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Since 2004
speed stickers

:thumb: could someone please tell us where to get these stickers from. Have searched the internet but just cannot find them. does anyone have a direct link.
Thanks LittleKath00

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
From the Automobile Club de France:
The stickers must have a minimum size of 15cm (6") in diameter
The speed limit(in km/h) must be written in black numbers, on a white background, The stickers can be glued, attached or painted on the bodywork.
The sticker mentioning the lowest speed must be put in the left bottom of the back of the vehicle. If several stickers are necessary, the sticker with the highest speed must be put to the right side of the other stickers (if horizontally aligned) or above the other stickers (if vertically aligned).

Its interesting to note that it says 6" stickers yet the company link that was posted do a 4" self cling sticker for caravans and motorhomes and a 4.5" sticker would we get away with those do you think?

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Do these stickers have to be stuck only on the vehicle that is over 3500kg or do they also have to be applied to a trailer carrying a car behind the vehicle.

Info from Caravan Club Site
We have now received confirmation from the legal department of Automobile Club de France (ACF) regarding speed limits in France which are kilometres per hour:

Motorway
Dual carriageway
Single carriageway
Vehicle towing a caravan/trailer where the vehicle has a gross train mass of under 3.5 tonne – or a motorhome that has a gross vehicle weight under 3.5 tonne*
130**
110**
90**
Motorhome which has a gross vehicle weight over 3.5 tonne*
Vehicle towing a caravan/trailer where the vehicle has a gross train mass over 3.5 tonne

*[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Motorhomes without a trailer, if the motorhome has a trailer then the speed limit will be based on the gross train mass[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. ** [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]In adverse weather conditions or rain these limits reduce to 110/100/80 [/FONT][/FONT]Gross vehicle weight [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]– the weight of the vehicle when fully loaded with luggage, and passengers etc to its maximum permitted capacity.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
john and joans post is , of course , correct

the simply motorhomes one is rubbish

and if you are towing and your towing vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes then you are restricted to 80/80/90 , and must exhibit 2 stickers on the trailer , 80 bottom left , and 90 either above or to the right

Last edited:

homeless

Free Member
Apr 21, 2010
Funster No
useful information..... non on ebay so purchased from speedstickers.:thumb: now for the bike sign

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
useful information..... non on ebay so purchased from speedstickers.:thumb: now for the bike sign

Do you mean the rectangle sign with diagonal orange/ yellow stripes , please post where to get them from :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back