Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
:Doh:came to drain oil out to day put cant undue the sump plug on my fiat ducato panel van any one had this problem and how did you undue it

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Get the correct Socket.Cheap sockets tend to round off the corners.

A sharp tap with a copper faced hammer should loosen it.

Straight on the head of the socket.

Then use a torque wrench and slowly turn.

Sounds like some person has severely overtightened it.

Try some wd40 overnight.

Good Luck.:thumb:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
As it's upside down I wonder if you are tightening it instead of undoing it. It should go anti-clockwise when looking at the plug. They are often a taper thread so as soon as it starts to move it should come undone easily. As suggested above using a torque wrench should give ample leverage to undo it.

Phil.

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
Loads of penetrating spray

then I bought a Allen key socket that fits onto my torque wrench, which is longer than a normal ratchet giving me more leverage:thumb:

Alan H

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Some Duc's have a 17mm headed plug, some 19mm ( my first one had a 21mm one !! but I think that was just weird ! ), and some, like Alans, have a hex key

Warm up the area with a hot air gun ( I use a black and decker one.. it takes a wee while but by the cringe can it get things hot ! ) and if it is the normal bolt type, get a 6 pointed socket ( Halfrauds or any half decent tool stockists ) rather than the more normal 12 pointed thing.

If plug uses hex key, do the warming up thing again and as Alan said, a good quality hex socket attachment .

Reading this back I should make it clear you heat up all around the plug not directly on the plug its self.. As a final last ditch thing, you can get small tins of what is basically CO2 from a lot of car accessory shops .. Once the area around the plug has been heated up ( and do take your time and get it bloody hot ! ) carefully direct the freezer spray on the sump plug ..
Then go large with the socket of hex key !

Last thing ( sorry ! )
If all else fails you can get pumps that will suck the oil out of the sump via the dipstick hole.
Sounds weird but tis true ( I bought one primarily for the Smart Car as they do not evenn have a sump plug, but it has been used on all sorts of vehicles since ! )

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
On the topic of sumps>RUST!!!

Great post above!!

You need a sharp jolt more than a long levered pull.You could try mole grips or plumbers stilsons if the plug is rounded off.

Dont go too mad or you will break the bond between the threaded insert and sump.
An air gun is ideal for undoing these.(Tyre shop)

When you refit the plug use a new washer so it does not have to be too tight to be oil tight.(You can get new plugs from accessory shops)

CHECK THE SUMP FOR RUST ITS ACOMMON PROBLEM ON DUATOS/BOXERS
IF YOU FIND RUST,DONT GO TOO MAD SCRAPING IT OFF OR YOU WILL GO THROUGH THE SUMP!!! And then you will be cross.
Treat with "JENOLITE" or "KURUST" and repaint with heaproof paint,all available for
Halfords and the like.

Good luck.Rick

Last edited:

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
if all the above fail you could do what i had to do with my Transit.
The plug was all rounded off thanks to previous owners so i tack welded a bit of angle onto the plug and off it came.
It must be said this is probably known as a last ditch method though lol
:roflmto:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Slightly off-topic, but "Ducato" means a Dukedom or Duchy (in Italian). Except in Italy, not a lot of people know that, so you bunch can show off...like me.

Thanks, though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As a very last ditch attempt take the sump pan off, then grip the plug in a vice and twist the pan..

I had to do this on a Volvo 760, messy job but in the plus side I was able to clean years of dirt and sludge from the pan..

jim

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Slightly off-topic, but "Ducato" means a Dukedom or Duchy (in Italian). Except in Italy, not a lot of people know that, so you bunch can show off...like me.

Thanks, though.
I think in this case Ducato may be preceded with an F...... or B..... as well.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
sump plug

i always use a large ring spanner and put one end over the allen key or socket wrench for extra leverage,
also a pipe over the the socket handle or allen key gives the same leverage,
it works every time for me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Doh:came to drain oil out to day put cant undue the sump plug on my fiat ducato panel van any one had this problem and how did you undue it

Is the allen key still tight in the plug ?

From memory it was just quality allen key and steel pipe on the end of it. Then GRUNT.

Halfords stock new ones.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As a very last ditch attempt take the sump pan off, then grip the plug in a vice and twist the pan..

jim

unfortunaely jim that doesnt usually work.

the fiat sump bung 'shoulder' is only around 1/8" thick and relatively soft metal .
molegrips/vice etc will just slip off and chew the bung shoulder to bits.....i know, you should see mine. :Doh:

i undid mine, eventually, with the CORRECT hex key, a lot dont fit tightly and will damage the hex, and a 2ft breaker bar.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
unfortunaely jim that doesnt usually work.

the fiat sump bung 'shoulder' is only around 1/8" thick and relatively soft metal .
molegrips/vice etc will just slip off and chew the bung shoulder to bits.....i know, you should see mine. :Doh:

i undid mine, eventually, with the CORRECT hex key, a lot dont fit tightly and will damage the hex, and a 2ft breaker bar.

I guess it depends on the plug.. someone had butchered the key hole on mine, totally round, mole grips just slipped off.. the vice was a last resort and it worked.. :winky:

Bigtrev8xl

Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Hi.
The last resort would be to buy a new drain plug, then weld a allen key or long bar to the old drain plug, if that doesn’t shift it I’d be very surprised. Refit new drain plug

Cheers Big Trev

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Don't know if if Ducato is the same, but I got a Saab plug out by putting molegrips on the flange, which had a bigger diameter than the bolt head.

Pudsey Bear

Free Member
Jun 28, 2008
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Hi.
The last resort would be to buy a new drain plug, then weld a allen key or long bar to the old drain plug, if that doesn’t shift it I’d be very surprised. Refit new drain plug

Cheers Big Trev

Which made me think if/when you do get it off, why not weld something a bit beefier to the plug before fitting it, and with new gasket/seal, next time jobsagudun.

Kev.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I guess it depends on the plug.. someone had butchered the key hole on mine, totally round, mole grips just slipped off.. the vice was a last resort and it worked.. :winky:

Bl**dy mole grips, small stillys or footprints is what you want.

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi.

Cheers Big Trev

Mmmm!!!!

welding something the thickness of a strong enough steel bar or allan key to a reasonably thick sump bung is going to produce a lot of heat even with a mig welder.

i wouldnt want someone welding my sump when its full of oil...:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bl**dy mole grips, small stillys or footprints is what you want.

Olley

I've still got footprints .. can't beat them.. must be at least 60 years old :Eeek: maybe older, I got them from my Dad .. and he said he had them as an apprentice , he's 86 .. yikes

as an apprentice we called them Hoof Beats .. .. :roflmto:

Great for pipework but can't catch narrow stuff like the edge of a sump plug ..

jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim funny you said you have your dads, I lost my dads years ago. :Doh: never did buy him another pair. :Blush:

Olley

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I rebuilt my fizzy with a pair of mole grips.

As for the OP post,, Taking the sump off and then replacing it with another is as good a cure if it all goes pete tong.

therefore throw caution to the wind, do the winding the hammering the chiseling with devour and if all else fails, change the sup tray.:thumb:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
If it is a allen key type make sure it fits well then hit the allen key with a hammer ussually breaks it free.

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
fond memories

Tut , tut , showing your age with quotes such as fizzy

yamaha fs1e
honda ss50
suzuki ap50

fond memories of them all and then the susy x7 250

wish i had kept them all

fond memories but i may have been a little bit lighter and more agile then
::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
if all the above fail you could do what i had to do with my Transit.
The plug was all rounded off thanks to previous owners so i tack welded a bit of angle onto the plug and off it came.
It must be said this is probably known as a last ditch method though lol
:roflmto:

Seen it and done it.....

Usually due to the previous owner or service mechanic not torquing to the correct spec...:Doh:

Same goes with spark plugs...They really don't need over tightening.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back