Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
My 2006 Scout SE is about to be popped into winter storage - an old warehouse.
Apart from draining the fresh and grey water tanks is there anything else I should be worrying about?
It's the hot water tank I'm most concerned about. Does it drain when I empty the fresh water?
And what about the heat exchanger for the central heating? Is there water in there, is it a sealed system that I can drain?

It's our first winter of ownership and we would really appreciate any help / advice.:Eeek:

Thanks in advance.

Norrie

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Norrie , drain down with all taps ,shower rtc open and blow down your pipes to get any water traps empty
terry

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On your heater (rather right next to it) is a "button" tap usually red. This is the auto dump valve which would drain your heater if the temp falls too low. You need to press this to open the heater dump as if it fails to open your heater could freeze :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Does your toilet have a header tank? If so empty that as well and make sure there's no water left in the pump.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It's the hot water tank I'm most concerned about. Does it drain when I empty the fresh water?
Norrie
My hot water tank does not drain off when I empty the fresh water tank. There is a drain plug in the side of mine. When I drained the systems down last year I thought that was enough. Then I took the drain plug from the hot water tank an it was still full.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks all - I've got lots to check and do!

I was going to leave the electric heating on (low) over the winter but someone suggested that there may be a water filled heat-exchanger involved in the central heating. Surely not. Sounds and odd way to do things, but.....any ideas?
If there is I guess the CH would be out of action but I can always plug a wee oil filled radiator in.

There's much more to this motorhoming lark than I thought - but what fun!!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
One thing I do not everyone does is to take the filter housing off of the water pump, dry and store inside till dry, I once had one freeze and was quite expensive to replace.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If there is a heat exchanger then there has to be water in there. That would also require heat to transfere to your hot water heater. That sounds a barmy way of doing things but I dont know your van.

Most people have a small oil filled radiator or a heater of some description in the van over the winter when its going to be laid up. It helps keep out the damp amongst other things.

Jim
:Smile:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
My 2006 Scout SE is about to be popped into winter storage - an old warehouse.
Apart from draining the fresh and grey water tanks is there anything else I should be worrying about?
.:Eeek:

Thanks in advance.

Norrie

Hi ,
On my Autotrail there is a small valve ( a presure relief) just below and right next to the hot water tank,I open this valve to dump tank then open all the taps / shower. You will know its dumping just take a look underneath your motor home.
The only other thing I do is drain the grey and fresk tanks and leave the valves open.

OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sincere thanks to all. This really is a brilliant forum.
I'm looking forward to being knowlegeable enough to help someone - one day.
Unless anybody wants to know anything about Edinburgh pubs, motorbikes or indoor kart racing.......:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if there is no dump valve near the boiler have a look at the boiler exhaust vent outside.
botton left hand corner there may be a largish plastic 'screw'.

remove it fully, open a hot tap and it'll drain the boiler.

be careful replacing it as the rubber O ring can get dislodged and not seal properly.

scept1c

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Holywood
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Norrie, I don't know how old your Auto-Trail is but if it's similar to the two I have had, models between 2005 & 2008 this may help.

If you have Truma heating you probably also have Truma hot water heating. If this is the case then you will have two 240 volt switches marked UltraHeat and UltraStore. UltraStore is for heating the water so if you drain your hot water tank you should also turn off the switch.

To drain the hot water tank, you can look to the bottom right side of the hot water tank and you may see a yellow lever. If you have this lever, there are three positions and if you move it to the centre position and then look under the van you will see the tank emptying.

Have a look at this link for more info about Truma UltraStore Link Removed

You can also download a handbook from the Auto-Trail web site Auto-Trail and this should have Winter Laying Up procedures. :thumb:

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
To drain my hot water tank there is a yellow lever which I lift up. Some have the red pushup/down button.

Don't forget to leave all taps open. If single lever then leave in centre position and with the lever upwards. Try to remove all water from the shower hose and leave in downwards position. I also put plugs in sink (in case of spiders etc).

I tend to close all outside taps when I am sure all is drained thoroughly, this is to prevent creepy crawlies getting in.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
To drain my hot water tank there is a yellow lever which I lift up. Some have the red pushup/down button.

Don't forget to leave all taps open. If single lever then leave in centre position and with the lever upwards. Try to remove all water from the shower hose and leave in downwards position. I also put plugs in sink (in case of spiders etc).

I tend to close all outside taps when I am sure all is drained thoroughly, this is to prevent creepy crawlies getting in.

You'll get infested with flies!:Cool:

eirebus

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
kildare ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 yrs
just make sure all taps are empty and pump is dry i changed vans 2 yrs ago and got caught out badly last winter with different water system than i was used to :Doh:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Im a bit late with this reply, but you should undo the shower hose and leave the tap open in the mid position, I had a new shower mixer unit fitted last year cause it was left

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back