Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
This post rambles on a bit and doesn't really go anywhere significant so if you are easily bored I would move on now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

About twenty years ago, or maybe a bit less, I used to go metal detecting with SWMBOs driving instructor. Never found anything significant but he and his son found a saxon sword pummel which went to treasure trove and they brought two small hotels in Cornwall off the proceeds.

Anyway, when they moved away I lost my sighted search buddy and didn't bother to go anymore. The detector got put up in the back of a wardrobe and forgotten about.

Then a few weeks agp someone on here mentioned metal detecting and I thought 'must fish it out sometime and see if it still works'. knowing me, I would have left the batteries in and it would be ruined.

So last weekend I finally got around to fishing it out. No batteries, good sign. Brought some new batteries and it seems to work fine.

Now then, I was in one of my 'more affluent' stages at that time and this detector was state of the art. cost over £500 quid and that was about 20 years ago. So what about now ? technology moves on and I thought this would be just a pile of old memories compared to what you would buy today.

Found a couple of detecting forums on the web which I browsed for a while and people on both sites were talking about a detector with the same name and model numbers as mine. Odd i thought. So I google the make and model. Only this twenty year old thing turned up.

Seems what I had was considered to be a design classic. people were still looking for them and they were changing hands on evilbay for £250 plus.

So now I feel like getting back into it again. Quite looking forward to it if I can find some land to search.

Whats this got to do with motorhomes ? Nothing really except that it seems now that when I narrow down what MH I want I will have to figure in a payload allowance for all the 'pieces of eight' 'pieces of eight' I am going to find. ( and the parrot apparently ) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It'll be great when on C Club sites you can sweep around the wardens area for loose change :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well the new state of art ones are slightly better
in so much as they not only find the item, but take x rays up to 10 foot deep, display a pic of the item on the 3" tft screen, upload via satellite the pic straight to treasure trove,for valuation
If treasure trove presses the decline to purchase button, it then auto links direct to E-Bay and list the item in collectibles. and logs the coordinates so if it sells you can go back and dig it up:thumb:

available at Maplins 14.99:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
does yours do that:Doh:
Geo

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
It's a shame metal detectorists have a bit of an anorak image as I think it's a fascinating hobby. I did some back in the 80's and actually got more enjoyment from the research than I did from the actual detecting.

I could never find anything more interesting than some Victorian coinage, a penknife and a horseshoe. A guy local to me hit the local paper headlines a few years back as he'd found a highwayman's hoard in the local woods. Made a few grand out of it.

I'm the only one who watches Time Team at home, and they all think there's something wrong with me. ::bigsmile:

Here's the Saxon hoard that was recently unearthed: Saxon Hoard Not sure of the exact amount but didn't the finder and landowner split something like £3 million between them?

Anyway Cowboy, good luck with the detectoring if you decide to take it up again. :thumb:

Paul

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I was in one of my 'more affluent' stages at that time and this detector was state of the art. cost over £500 quid and that was about 20 years ago. So what about now ? technology moves on........
Which makes me wonder how 'state of the art high tech spec' the detector was, used by the guy have who recently stumbled on the largest ever treasure trove found?

You mate found an old sword.....and bought a couple of hotels on the south coast.

This guy ends up hitting the jackpot and will become a multi millionaire or a wealthy chap...depending on which comic you read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Well the new state of art ones are slightly better
in so much as they not only find the item, but take x rays up to 10 foot deep, display a pic of the item on the 3" tft screen, upload via satellite the pic straight to treasure trove,for valuation
If treasure trove presses the decline to purchase button, it then auto links direct to E-Bay and list the item in collectibles. and logs the coordinates so if it sells you can go back and dig it up:thumb:

available at Maplins 14.99:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
does yours do that:Doh:
Geo

Fantastic Geo. You obviously have a copy of the handbook. I have lost mine, can I borrow it ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

State of the art it apparently was ( didn;t know that at the time, every maker says that about their machine ) and now seems to be a bit of a cult item :ROFLMAO:

Annoying thing is my mates machine cost a fraction of mine and he was always finding stuff.

And daft as your post was..... you can really see it coming cant you :Eeek:

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Annoying thing is my mates machine cost a fraction of mine and he was always finding stuff.
As yours is now a sort after collectors item, i'd say your best bet is to let it go to the first dummy willing to bid a daft price on eBay, then treat yourself to a new detector for £20 or so.....and watch the treasure trove pile up! :roflmto:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Here's me thinking you were doing up an old German van.

Yours was far better reading though.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back