Lucky Find-a 'man' that does it all. (1 Viewer)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We bought our first M/Home recently from a dealer 60 miles away. We had no knowledge of where we could get work done locally,so,after two weekends away we asked the dealers to quote for a 2nd leisure battery and a 120watt solar panel to be fitted when we took the M/H in to have a few minor things sorted.Their quote was £930 which I felt was a touch 'salty'-but then, looking around online, seemed to be in the same ball park as many others.
Any way,I was going to our local bike shop the other day and saw a M/H being driven into a very small unit on the same estate-I went over and discovered Caravanmaster South Wales Ltd, I chatted to Byron the owner and got a quote of £500 for fitting 2 x 80 watt solar panels and he said I wouldn't need a 2nd leisure battery:Smile: a saving of £430.
I've just come from there, where I was surprised to see that the controller was indicating a charge whilst indoors on a grey day with only a skylight in the roof above th M/H ::bigsmile:
(No,I didn't put a meter on it,so I don't know how much of a charge !!)

Byron is now fitting an external gas point for our Cadac and doing a quote for a Gaslow conversion for us-we may end up with a chassis mounted tank,thus freeing up the gas locker which will take the Cadac and a few other things.

It's a nice feeling to know that there is someone only 10 mins away who can do everything we'll ever need-only drawback is that he finishes early on Fridays to go to rallies :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's a nice feeling to know that there is someone only 10 mins away who can do everything we'll ever need-only drawback is that he finishes early on Fridays to go to rallies :ROFLMAO:

You've found a real gem there. Introduce him to FUN. He deserves our support and probably a good guy to have on line.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
what is this "dark side" that i keep seeing?
Is it the C word or is there a more sinister side to owning a MH
Sorry bit fic me.
Lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry bit fic me.
Lol

No it's us being childish.

You see, in ANOTHER FORUM, some of us have been evicted because we dared speak that which they did not approve of. So we refer to this place as The Dark Side. Home of the Forum ASBOs.

"I'm really pissed off about this" would have resulted in a PM "This is inappropriate language for a family conference where children might read the message".

Seems to me any child that can read today would be perfectly at home with the phrase and much much worse.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Mike & Carolyn
My wife found one of them 42 years ago, it certainly feels like it at times. Pete
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Byron is now fitting an external gas point for our Cadac and doing a quote for a Gaslow conversion for us-we may end up with a chassis mounted tank,thus freeing up the gas locker which will take the Cadac and a few other things.

I like the sound of the chassis mounted tank. Let us know if you go that route as I'm interested in doing the same.

Cheers
Alan

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I like the sound of the chassis mounted tank. Let us know if you go that route as I'm interested in doing the same.Cheers Alan

I'm seriously thinking about it-although it will be about £250 dearer than just having
2x11kg bottles.
So-the question is 'what value do I put on the storage space I will gain' ? ::bigsmile:
In a small M/H ,with no Luton, storage is at a premium.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No it's us being childish.

You see, in ANOTHER FORUM, some of us have been evicted because we dared speak that which they did not approve of. So we refer to this place as The Dark Side. Home of the Forum ASBOs.

"I'm really pissed off about this" would have resulted in a PM "This is inappropriate language for a family conference where children might read the message".

Seems to me any child that can read today would be perfectly at home with the phrase and much much worse.
Brian you have PM:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I like the sound of the chassis mounted tank. Let us know if you go that route as I'm interested in doing the same.

Cheers
Alan

Me too...

Now, I am not technically minded:RollEyes: and haven't a solar panel yet. but would not 1 x 80 watt panel and 2 batteries be a better set up? the £500 included the panels? what is the additional weight do you know?

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Me too...
Now, I am not technically minded:RollEyes: and haven't a solar panel yet. but would not 1 x 80 watt panel and 2 batteries be a better set up? the £500 included the panels? what is the additional weight do you know?

I don't know ::bigsmile: I do know that a solar panel is a lot lighter than a battery.I'm taking the 'man's' advice on this one-and if I find I need ,or want, an extra battery he'll fit it straight away for me.:Smile:

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Me too...

Now, I am not technically minded:RollEyes: and haven't a solar panel yet. but would not 1 x 80 watt panel and 2 batteries be a better set up?

As a non techy I would think both have their pro's

2 solar + 1 bat means that your battery will charge quicker in theory, but this time of year the solar not performing so battery may not be charged fully.

1 Solar + 2 battery means this time of year you can go longer on the batteries but obviously they will take 4 times as long to charge (half the solar to charge 2 x the bats)

What the heck go for two of each :roflmto:

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
but this time of year the solar not performing so battery may not be charged fully.
What the heck go for two of each :roflmto:

Battery was charging in workshop on solar only with only a skylight above on a dull day::bigsmile: and was fully charged. Time will tell.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back