Soup Makers (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What's the attraction to soup, why can't you just eat stuff separate, without having it blunged up till it doesn't taste of anything that's in it, it's alright for old people and young kids , but what's wrong with proper food separate so you know what you are eating.
Same with stews , what the hell is in fish stew, if you knew you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.(n)

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What's the attraction to soup, why can't you just eat stuff separate, without having it blunged up till it doesn't taste of anything that's in it, it's alright for old people and young kids , but what's wrong with proper food separate so you know what you are eating.
Same with stews , what the hell is in fish stew, if you knew you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.(n)

Attraction of a soup, just had a bowl of home made mushroom soup and surprise surprise it tasted of mushrooms served with home made bread, excellent mid day snack.

Stew...I know exactly what is in mine and it's really tasty.

Nothing wrong with 'separate food' if that's what you enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

We've got our grandkids eating soup, something their mother never served. It gets them eating vegetables if nothing else, apart from carrots and peas they wouldn't touch veg with that barge pole of which you speak. Now I know brussels are an acquired taste but you should have seen the fuss when I asked the oldest one at 15 to try one, just one, at Christmas. :banghead:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've got our grandkids eating soup, something their mother never served. It gets them eating vegetables if nothing else, apart from carrots and peas they wouldn't touch veg with that barge pole of which you speak. Now I know brussels are an acquired taste but you should have seen the fuss when I asked the oldest one at 15 to try one, just one, at Christmas. :banghead:
Sprout soup!:eek::)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've always insisted that our, now teenage, grandchildren to eat one Brussel sprout at Christmas - and that's all they'll eat - they still don't like them!

It was, and still is, the same for our kids (now in their 40s, LOL!)

We both love brussels.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Dragging this thread back to life as I was wondering how you have got on with your soup makers.

Like @Minxy Girl I make soup in the pressure cooker, but have bedn wondering about one of these gadgets for a while.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I got one a few months ago and I love it! I know I can use a pan and a blender, but I always seem to get in a mess! I make one lot of soup in 20 minutes, and get three portions into those microwave soup cups - three lunches easy (hubby doesn't like soup)! Very little chopping or prep, and mine will sauté first if required.

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
I got one a few months ago and I love it! I know I can use a pan and a blender, but I always seem to get in a mess! I make one lot of soup in 20 minutes, and get three portions into those microwave soup cups - three lunches easy (hubby doesn't like soup)! Very little chopping or prep, and mine will sauté first if required.

What make and model is yours?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Since I have been dieting I have been eating Lidl's chicken and vegetable soup once a week.

It's very tasty for tinned soup

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
@Findlaters its a Morphy Richards, and I think it's the same as the one with pictures earlier in the thread - in France at the moment in the van, so can't check, sorry!

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Don't need any sort of fancy pants soupmaker for this! One large ham hock with bone in preferably. One large onion chopped small. Three or four carrots sliced. Large dose to your taste of white pepper. 300 grams of red lentils. One large pan. Enough cold water to cover everything. Simply put it all in pan and bring to boil. Simmer for a few hours until the meat starts to fall apart-help it along with a knife and fork. I guarantee you will love it-again and again. Tatses even better the next day after re-heating. Some on here will have tried it or similar and will attest to it. We will see eh?
p.s. you can or maybe have already-jazz it up a bit with any extras you wish to try.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I can report in that it is one gadget that has definitely not gone to the back of the cupboard, I use it at least a couple of times a week, have invented all sorts of different soups depending what veg I have in the house. still pleased with it. (y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Love soup tend to make it in slow cooker, so takes ages. Love the idea of a soupmaker but would struggle to store it both at home and in the van.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Never used it in the MH, but at least 3 times a week at home for lunch. Worth the money at least for me. Morphy Richards 501016 Soup and Smoothie Maker

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Looks just like more clutter to store or carry around. We have lots of home made soup, made in a saucepan around 5-6L at a time which does 2-3 days. Blitz if its that sort of soup required with one of these;

Notice my link won't post, anyway its a hand blender around a tenner from Amazon.

Weighs very little and low wattage so will run off any inverter.

Also note some soup makers only do around 1.5L so barely enough for me alone, I do like soup:D

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I make my own soup.

I use a saucepan.

I put in 500mls of water, put it on the gas, pour in the contents of the Knorr packet and stir with a wooden spoon.

Would a soup maker simplify this process for me?

Just wondering

JJ :cool:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Am I right in assuming they only make "blitzed" soups? Nothing wrong with that most of our soups are, done using a handheld blender but it is nice to have something like minestrone as a contrast.

John,
For some reason (and you'd have to put me under to find out) I have an aversion to soup wi' bits.
At home SWMBO makes soup nearly every day but it has to be blitzed. Don't know why, but there it is.

And @Carol you minx, as the result of starting this thread, you've sown a seed and Mary has made an executive decision, (aren't they all). The next purchase WILL be a soup maker, and it will accompany us, as well as a slow cooker on our next trip.
Bugger!!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Love mine - use it most weeks - was one of those from a stall at the Lincoln show a couple of years back [so probably overpriced, but don't care as it gets so much use]
Lumpy or blitzed soup, thick or thin, your choice :xThumb:.

Reactions: DBK

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Try it with a ham or gammon HOCK with bone in. The lentils(put as much in as you like) are what thickens it to a lovely thick soup, along with of course, the marrow from the bone and the meat isn't wasted, it cooks down into thin strands and gives great flavour and taste to the dish. I've tried it with a pressure cooker and didn't get the depth of flavour I like but, it tastes much nicer given time on the hob, trust me and try it.

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Following Carols comments last year, I bought a MR also. Excellent bit of kit, chunky and smooth soup. I keep experimenting, but usually return to tomato and carrot, potatoes, little leak, and then play around with the spices. I use microwavable mugs form B and M, and usually can get 3 almost full mugs of soup. Great when on EHU, takes about 20 odd minutes to do. Also recently purchased a Philips air fryer for doing chips. Uses little oil, just a spoonful, again another success, just need to play around a bit with the timings /chip size, again about 20 minutes. Happy New Year to everyone, see you at the shows.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
making sum as i came across this thread the old way we dont have a posh bit of kit like that :xrofl:
bill

Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
Are you a closet Scouser....like me? I was brought up on this ( as well as Scouse , of course). Still make both today....can't live without the pressure cooker, very best 'gadget' for saving time and fuel.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Right. Just purchased one of these ( don't know why not great soup lovers ). Anyway tried the chicken and mushroom recipe as per the book tonight. Was very nice but a little chalky texture if that makes sense. Now I know I put more chicken in than the recipe said ( maybe twice as much ). Also it said 1 litre of stock so using oxo chicken cubes I used 4 oxo cubes in a litre of boiling water. Is that about right ?

Just wondering if the chalky texture is normal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back