Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Guys
Anyone know about using winter tyres in France going Skiing in December got the chains but dont know if I need winter tyres as well, truck is about 2.5 ton unladen 3.5 laden

Cheers

Andy

:helpsos:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi .. the legals

France

The use of winter tyres is not mandatory in France. Nevertheless in some situations special signs indicate that winter tyres should be used. In mountainous areas signs warn drivers that snow chains are necessary. In France, drivers of automobiles that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes can use spikes from November until the end of March. Vehicles using spikes are restricted to a maximum speed of 90 km/h on out-of-town roads and 50 km/h in residential areas. In addition vehicles have to bare a badge indicating the use of spikes.

Link Removed

My advice would be to fit on the driving wheels ..

jim

Last edited:

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Guys
Anyone know about using winter tyres in France going Skiing in December got the chains but dont know if I need winter tyres as well, truck is about 2.5 ton unladen 3.5 laden

Cheers

Andy

:helpsos:
Good luck with the ski trip there is lots to learn!!

Winter tyres are like insurance,a waste of money untill you need it.

I too go motorhome skiing and have winter tyres all round,I now leave them on all year as they are good on wet grass too.

Their compound makes them much,much better at lower temps.
Chains are good in snow but poor on ice and compacted snow.and horrible to drive on!!

Steep,tristy mountain roads with no barriers and ice make for exciting driving.

Try the internet for best prices,you can go down in width(see your handbook)but this means less load capacity.
If you don't do a huge mileage there is no need to go for premium brands,many of the best winter tyres come from brands you may not know because they are marketed in the Nordic countries ect.

Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back