Free Member
Nov 28, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
newbie!
Forgive me my ignorance - very very new to this! Got ourselves a family van (Compass Avantgarde 180) to go away with our 4 kids (9,6,4,1). Most of the time expect to use it for weekends away - just an hour's drive to the start of the Highlands :) - and for longer spells during school holidays. While some nights we hope to wild camp, also no doubt some nights we will want to use sites. Will venture south now and then, but mainly want to explore more of Scotland. With that in mind do you advise joining a club, if so is 1 better than another? I see on the Camping and Caravan Club website they offer motorhome service points in some places:
Link Removed
which sounds a great idea especially not having to book an overnight pitch. Do you get this type of facility anywhere else? does the Caravan Club offer this service?
Is 1 club more geared towards motorhome owners than another? What's your recommendations?
Any advice appreciated/experience shared. Have no idea how this new venture will turn out, but figured if we didn't try it we'd never know! Can't really afford foreign trips anymore with 4 kids, flights for 6 of us are prohibitive! :Eeek: So we'll give it a go and if all goes pearshaped then we can sell the van and try again!....but really excited about going places as soon as it warms up a bit!
Thanks in advance for your help. ::bigsmile: Tats

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Welcome to the FUN site.

We have done similar this year, we joined both clubs when we got our Autoquest 180. We have not used sites of either club but we have stayed at Caravan and Camping club District Association (DA) weekends.

There are generally based in a field with elsan and water, out of the 7 or 8 weekends we have been on just one had EHU.

We found these weekends gave us a great chance to 'learn the van', knowing if we got really stuck there was plenty of experience around to help us out.

We have not used any of the Caravan Club facilities as of yet.

Greg

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Clubs

Hi Tats and welcome to " FUN"
The caravan Club does not allow you to fill and empty on their sites.We are a member of both .Before joining look at where all the CL and CS sites are in the area you think you would go to that is where you get the savings. I know when we toured Scotland last year we did not use many we mainly wild camped in the forests but there is only 2 of us.
Take a look at the temporary holiday sites that both clubs run they are great for families.

My choice of the 2 would be the caravan club, their Club sites are a little bit cheaper for a service pitch and we save lots on our ferry booking by booking Camping Cheques in with our fare,also saved on our Motor Home insurance.
Sure there will be more along soon with lots of other ideas Have fun and enjoy your van.
Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Forgive me my ignorance - very very new to this! Got ourselves a family van (Compass Avantgarde 180) to go away with our 4 kids (9,6,4,1). Most of the time expect to use it for weekends away - just an hour's drive to the start of the Highlands :) - and for longer spells during school holidays. While some nights we hope to wild camp, also no doubt some nights we will want to use sites. Will venture south now and then, but mainly want to explore more of Scotland. With that in mind do you advise joining a club, if so is 1 better than another? I see on the Camping and Caravan Club website they offer motorhome service points in some places:
Link Removed
which sounds a great idea especially not having to book an overnight pitch. Do you get this type of facility anywhere else? does the Caravan Club offer this service?
Is 1 club more geared towards motorhome owners than another? What's your recommendations?
Any advice appreciated/experience shared. Have no idea how this new venture will turn out, but figured if we didn't try it we'd never know! Can't really afford foreign trips anymore with 4 kids, flights for 6 of us are prohibitive! :Eeek: So we'll give it a go and if all goes pearshaped then we can sell the van and try again!....but really excited about going places as soon as it warms up a bit!
Thanks in advance for your help. ::bigsmile: Tats

Welcome,

Its a matter of choice which will become more apparent as you go to each clubs sites.

However the CAMPING AND CARAVANNING CLUB have the advantage that they have a very comprehensive list of sites throughout the UK private and of course there own, also hideways for 5 vans with modest facilities.
The Caravan Club has a dedicated list of there own sites and CL sites similar to CCC hideaways.

The MOTORCARAVAN CLUB dosen't have any sites, but they do hold loads of Rallies throughout the UK in fields and Commercial Sites.

When I first started touring I joined ALL the 3 clubs but we now tend to visit CCC & CC sites and go to MCC Rallies

All the best

Brian

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Welcome to the forum:Smile:

The advantage of the C&CC motorhome stop of service, for a small fee, allows you to shower and also use the laundry, although this is subject to availability, as well as take on fresh water and service the toilet.

If you intend to use any pup tents, then I would suggest the C&CC would again score over the CC. They also offer "family deals" which produce cost savings for families, worth checking out on the webb site.

Having said that both clubs offer a very good service, and as said, the temperory holiday sites, run by the C&CC's DA's offer very good value for money, for families.

Both offer insurance services,recovery services, technical support etc, at the end of the day I would suggest the C&CC has more to offer the family camper/motorhomer.

Good luck and enjoy your motorhoming:thumb:

Nomadic

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With that in mind do you advise joining a club, if so is 1 better than another?

Be warned about the Big Two. Half the time you can't get a pitch. Part of the problem is the number of MHs out there and partly because of the t%$ts out there who, as soon as booking opens in January will book every weekend away and then turn up for a few of them. So when you try and get a pitch a bit later - FULL.

That was our first shock two years ago when we became MHers.

I don't know what the answer is. Well, we ALL know what the answer is, non-refundable deposits but they haven't the balls to implement this.

If you have a good idea when you can get away book very early. Oh, and pay a lot too.

Best bargain in Scotland is Haughton Park, Alford. Brilliant site for kids and not too expensive.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
All those islands to Explore from Arran up to Shetland and it sounds like your on the doorstep! You will pay a bit in ferry fares but once your there you can pretty much wildcamp till your hearts content. Ive done 17 now apart from the odd CL have never paid for a site on any of them!

CL's are great value on the mainland.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The MOTORCARAVAN CLUB doesn't have any sites, but they do hold loads of Rallies throughout the UK in fields and Commercial Sites.

Brian
not quite correct as the MCC do licence CL's not many I must admit as they leave it up to the local planners to decide thereby making a mockery of the CL system ah well never mind.

Using the CL system (5 van sites with minimal services), these will always have fresh water and a black/grey dump point. At £3-8 per night can work out cheaper than a dedicated motorhome service point at a fiver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
not quite correct as the MCC do licence CL's not many I must admit as they leave it up to the local planners to decide thereby making a mockery of the CL system ah well never mind.

Using the CL system (5 van sites with minimal services), these will always have fresh water and a black/grey dump point. At £3-8 per night can work out cheaper than a dedicated motorhome service point at a fiver.

Yes as I said, THE MOTORCARAVAN CLUB does not have sites and yes they do have the odd CL but few and far between. They tend to work on the comradeship of their members in that they hold more rallies than the other two,being a past Rally Officer of 6 years in one of the Souths groups I have a greater knowledge of this particular club.

After a few visits to the 3 major clubs they will gradualy make up there own minds as to which is the best for them.

All have there good and bad points

Brian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tats

Free Member
Nov 28, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
newbie!
Thanks for all your advice so far.

Not sure if I've got this right - CLs are from the Caravan Club, CSs from Camping and Caravan Club? CLs all offer water and disposal, but only some CSs. IYO Wildman Caravan Club is better option then?

Barryd - sounds great on the islands, when you were wildcamping where did you get your fresh water from and dump the black? Did you (or anyone else for that matter) ever get any bother when you were wildcamping?

Had a look at the Haughton Park website Hilldweller - looks great, will def pay a visit! Sounds like "big 2" got to change their systems re bookings. :Angry:

What's a pup tent Nomadic?

Brian,
"the CAMPING AND CARAVANNING CLUB have the advantage that they have a very comprehensive list of sites throughout the UK private and of course there own, also hideways for 5 vans with modest facilities."
so when you join a club do they send out a book of their sites, or is it just the CCC which does this?

"The caravan Club does not allow you to fill and empty on their sites" - Vera - do you mean even if you book a pitch for a night you still have to use facilities elsewhere, or just that they don't let you service your van (even for a fee) without staying there.

Thanks again for all your advice - much appreciated! :thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years

Not sure if I've got this right - CLs are from the Caravan Club, CSs from Camping and Caravan Club? CLs all offer water and disposal, but only some CSs. IYO Wildman Caravan Club is better option then?

Barryd - sounds great on the islands, when you were wildcamping where did you get your fresh water from and dump the black? Did you (or anyone else for that matter) ever get any bother when you were wildcamping?

Had a look at the Haughton Park website Hilldweller - looks great, will def pay a visit! Sounds like "big 2" got to change their systems re bookings. :Angry:

Brian,
"the CAMPING AND CARAVANNING CLUB have the advantage that they have a very comprehensive list of sites throughout the UK private and of course there own, also hideways for 5 vans with modest facilities."
so when you join a club do they send out a book of their sites, or is it just the CCC which does this?

"The caravan Club does not allow you to fill and empty on their sites" - Vera - do you mean even if you book a pitch for a night you still have to use facilities elsewhere, or just that they don't let you service your van (even for a fee) without staying there.

Thanks again for all your advice - much appreciated! :thumb:

The CCC issue a Bi-Annual Sites book which is updated on a monthly basis in there magazine. I believe ALL new members are sent the current book when joining.

This applies to all 3 clubs. All have a monthly magazine which is posted to the members, giving relevant info. The MCC being the smaller, but is dedicated solely to the Motorhome.
There are smaller clubs offering similar interests, like the Konti club, Fiat club and many others. There is of course MOTORHOMEFUN which you have now joined who also run Rallies, sadly they always coincide with another venue so I have not yet participated.

I think Vera was making the point that If you are camped you can use ALL facilities but not otherwise on CC sites.

Brian

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Sites

Hi- As Brian stated above what I should of posted was that the Caravan Club sites are only open to the people that are staying on them,or their visitors ) who need to park in the car park) or this is what has happened on every site we have stayed at.

Regarding CL and CS sites they all have fresh water and somewhere to empty your toilet, some have their own toilets and even showers but you can see this on their adverts just look at the symbols

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Cls and club sites are few and far between in Scotland, I suggest you look on line before joining either.. personally I wouldn't bother, there are plenty of small private sites that are cheaper and if you find a club site that you really want to stay at you can join there and then..

just my opinion..

jim

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

all 5 van sites whatever they are called have water and dump points it is a condition of the licence. Purely as a matter of interest the Motorcaravanners Club is the only one that officially allows anyone members or not on site. The other sites require membership. As I never use sites I really cannot express an opion as to the best one way or another.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
What is a pup tent?

Hi Tats

It is any size of tent which can be pitched on the same pitch you are allocated on site with your motorhome. It can be used if you do not have an enclosed awning. Helps with space if one or two of your group want to "camp out."

I hope this helps:thumb:

Nomadic

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Tats

It is any size of tent which can be pitched on the same pitch you are allocated on site with your motorhome.

Not ANY size tent..
CC site info :

The definition of a pup tent is a very small 2-man tent (back pack type). Both occupants must be under the age of 16 years old. The ‘pup tent' is only valid if a tent/camper or caravan has been checked in and paid for in full. Only 1 pup tent allowed per booking.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tats

Free Member
Nov 28, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
newbie!
Shame only 2 children to the pup tent...hoping we could squeeze all 4 of them in there!
Seriously though thanks for your advice. Looking at insurance at the moment and seems even if you don't arrange your insurance through the clubs directly, insurers will offer you a discount just for being a member. Just getting quotes online at the moment as late now, but might phone round a few 2morrow and see if it matters which club you're a member of or whether it's just a standard club discount. Might recoup the membership fee in savings off insurance alone which would be cool! We have a fleet insurance policy for our cars but when we asked to have the M/H added they said it'd be £568 which we thought a bit :Eeek:especially as they were also insisting on an immobiliser which the van currently doesn't have, so told them to sling it and am gathering a few quotes now (best so far £220! :Cool: the benefits of shopping around!)
Anyway currently thinking the CC is probably our best bet as seems to have more sites in Scotland than the others (although can't search them at the moment as the website is being worked on for when bookings open in a couple of days - typical I should choose just now to want to look!!), and feel that as newbies prob should join and have the backing of a club until we get a bit more confident!, and that insurance discount can't be sniffed at! Also whilst like the idea of MHS points on offer from CCC, as you suggested above, you can service your M/H and get a pitch on a 5 van site if you want, all for same or less. Do you think they'd get p*d off if you just breezed through, using the services but not staying.....wouldn't want to cause offence :whatthe: even if had paid for a pitch!
Night all,
Tats

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back