Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Just thought this may be of interest to travellers , Camping Almafra has changed its pricing system for 2010. This is not on its website yet.
Stays upto 1 month 15.15 Euro per day plus 3 Euro per day electicity.
Stays longer than 1 month 15.15 Euro per day plus electricity at .35 cents per kilawat.
There are now no reductions for long term stays. This is what we have been quoted from January 1st 2010. Use of all facilities is still included in price. :thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
why would anyone pay these prices ?
lots of nice apartments available for less than this ..last year I paid €350 / month including gas/elec

pity it was too cold to sit out by the swimming pools all day :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
lots of nice apartments available for less than this ..last year I paid €350 / month including gas/elec

pity it was too cold to sit out by the swimming pools all day :Sad:

Personally I wouldn't, but that's comparing apples and oranges..

cost is not the only factor for choosing to sleep in your own bed.. and no one takes up motorhoming to save money on a holiday flat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Not only that, consider the guy this Christmas, 6 days travelling and the cost of that against half a day and lowish cost flight. He'd get four extra days holiday, cheaper.

It does make you think. If we got to an apartment just 7 foot by 12 foot with mickey mouse shower and toilet, climb ladder to bed on top of a cupboard. What would we say :Sad:

Why do we do it ?

I'd like to think it's because we still have a bit of FUN in us.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
You can cheaper sites than that, even cheaper for longer stays, you forgot to add on the hassle of Airports, lost luggage, transport to Airports, lack of luggage amounts ,transport around the resort you choose ,etc, Hilldweller. Still it's great to have CHOICES isn't it .:thumb::thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
You can find cheaper sites than that, even cheaper for longer stays, you forgot to add on the hassle of Airports, lost luggage, transport to Airports, lack of luggage amounts ,transport around the resort you choose ,etc, Hilldweller. Still it's great to have CHOICES isn't it .:thumb::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having spent many years overwintering in Spain,I have noticed the last few years that sites have not been as full as usual. Typical Spanish mentality is that they still want the same income from the site whether its full,half full,or empty. Had a phone call from a friend in Benidorm last week telling me that the sites are almost empty. Its time the Spanish realised that they are killing the golden goose.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Having spent many years overwintering in Spain,I have noticed the last few years that sites have not been as full as usual. Typical Spanish mentality is that they still want the same income from the site whether its full,half full,or empty. Had a phone call from a friend in Benidorm last week telling me that the sites are almost empty. Its time the Spanish realised that they are killing the golden goose.

So true. The Spanish have never experienced recession before and seem to think that the solution to falling income is to put up the prices. This is true of all Spanish businesses not just Camping.
By the time they learn about how competition is supposed to work, many will have gone bust.

Pete:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
you forgot to add on the hassle of Airports, lost luggage, transport to Airports, lack of luggage amounts ,transport around the resort you choose ,etc, Hilldweller. Still it's great to have CHOICES isn't it .:thumb::thumb:

Oh yes, thanks for that. So long since we've flown I've forgotten. I think it was to Maggiore last time. Easy Jet from Luton. We ended up staying overnight nearby. We stood in a queue so long we got flat feet. Then hire a car and drive to Maggiore. Now you remind me we agreed at the time we could have biked it in the same time based on house to hotel times.

Big plus there for MH.

And I certainly can't wait to hit the road to Garda next year. I enjoy driving the MH. I know it's slow so it takes away my natural desire to overtake everything and get there yesterday.

The meets with FUN have been spectacular successes.
Camping at Monza last year was one of those lifetime experiences.
Morocco was another lifetime experience.

So on the whole we are still happy MHers. Which doesn't stop me questioning some aspects of it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is true of all Spanish businesses not just Camping.
By the time they learn about how competition is supposed to work, many will have gone bust.
Pete:Cool:

Or keep the prices low and go bust anyway.

It's a horrible equation to try and solve.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Typical Spanish mentality is that they still want the same income from the site whether its full,half full,or empty. Had a phone call from a friend in Benidorm last week telling me that the sites are almost empty. Its time the Spanish realised that they are killing the golden goose.

Not just the Spanish :Smile:
British Rail comes to mind.

OP
OP
Dreamchaserrv

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Further to the original post, it is not the 15 euros per night for site fees, its the 35cents per kilowatt on top for electricity, how many kilowatts does an Rv use in a day at this time of year, if using an oil fired radiator for heating for 4/5 hours a day if weather is cold along with normal use of fridge/chargers/tv /lights etc, apart from using gas is it cheaper and better to pay the 3 euros per day extra for power and put it all on ?
A lot of the Spanish sites ,Marjal, El Rocio, Vilasol to name but a few, are putting electricity charges on top of the site fees and charging twice the price that they get it for from the power companies. Spending 6 months of winter now in Spain is getting very expensive.:cry::Angry:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Further to the original post, it is not the 15 euros per night for site fees, its the 35cents per kilowatt on top for electricity, how many kilowatts does an Rv use in a day at this time of year, if using an oil fired radiator for heating for 4/5 hours a day if weather is cold along with normal use of fridge/chargers/tv /lights etc, apart from using gas is it cheaper and better to pay the 3 euros per day extra for power and put it all on ?
A lot of the Spanish sites ,Marjal, El Rocio, Vilasol to name but a few, are putting electricity charges on top of the site fees and charging twice the price that they get it for from the power companies. Spending 6 months of winter now in Spain is getting very expensive.:cry::Angry:

:Sad: When we first came on camp the electric was 25 cents then 39 cents. As you say, now 35 cents per KW.
The very first month we came on camp we left the RV plugged into the onsite electric and ran the Reefer on the electric instead of our usual LPG. We also plugged in the odd occasion to supplement our Solar Power for Laptops and the Microwave. It cost 53 Euros for the month of January.
The following month, I left the Transformer plugged in and ran the Reefer on LPG. Cost for electricity was 5 Euros. LPG used to run the Reefer, a small amount of heating and of course cooking was 1.5 Spanish 13kg Bottles at a cost of just under 10 Euros each. So 15 Euros for LPG + 5 for electric. Rather a BIG saving.BUT as mentioned, we have Solar Power. :thumb:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
:Sad: When we first came on camp the electric was 25 cents then 39 cents. As you say, now 35 cents per KW.

We are in Catania, Sicily. 240 euros per month and 30c per Kw.
Maybe we should be thankful for the "family" concentrating on Palermo at the other end of the island:RollEyes:
Of course we do have to keep wiping the sea spray off the van:ROFLMAO:
Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back