Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am really worried for him.

Last few weeks he has needed a hand under his bum to go upstairs, he has his own single bed in my bedroom and spend 70% of him time relaxing on it, anyway last night he would not attempt the stairs and slept in the lounge.

This morning he was lying in a very uncomfortable position so nudge him to get his front up and i lifted his rear so he could walk.

He went out into the garden gingerly and did what he needed to although crutching to do number 2's was awful to watch.

He back in the lounge now and fast asleep.

Our regular vets don't do out of hours so phone Vets Now who do all the local vets out of hours and most unhappy with them wanted £600 to come out and not happy about them or their attitude, I am well insured but didn't fancy them so hope we can get through to tomorrow OK.

I so hope they can do something but being so large it worries me.

Hes been my best friend for 10 years now and worried sick for him.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John, I hate to say this but it may well be time to let him go :Sad: take him to your local vet tomorrow and as painful it may be listen to what he advises. ps I hope I am wrong.10 yrs is a good age for a big dog
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh Road Runner I am so sorry, why do things always happen week ends when you can't get the help you need so easy, hope you get through the day if he is comfy where he is no need to go upstairs for him. Hope all goes well until tomorrow. Carol.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
"10 yrs is a good age for a big dog"

Agreed when we lost our Rottie the vet told us that anything bigger than a lab then 8 years is a lifetime. In saying that I know of many big dogs that do live to 13 or 14. At the end of the day John he has had a loving caring home for many years. Nevertheless it was the hardest decision of our lives when we had to let Bruce go, absolutely heart breaking. Our thoughts are with you John. :Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Sorry to hear about Bruno - I went through the same with my golden labrador when he was 14 years old. The vets tried all sorts of steroid treatment (Very expensive) but in the end I decided it was best for him to let him go. Sad but the kindest way for the dog. :Sad:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The pleasure and companionship they give us is so valuable but the pain at the end is awful, good luck . Larry

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi John

I have my fingers crossed for Bruno for tomorrow. Look after yourself.

Lesley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am really worried for him.

A Great dog indeed. A proper dog.

I think you know in your heart it's getting time for him to go. A terribly difficult decision for you make but you are going to have to face it sooner rather than later.

Best wishes to both of you.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
John, it is really sad to hear your news of Bruno. I know how much he means to you. sad though it is you must accept the fact that it could be his time. I hope I am wrong I really do but maybe the last thing you can do for him.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
John, I'm very sorry to read this, if he's comfortable downstairs then leave him there, no point in trying to get him upstairs if he can't make it.

Tomorrow your proper vets will likely be able to ease any pain he has and he could live a good bit longer, but we all know that 10 is a good age for a big dog.

Please keep us posted on what the vets say.

PS I am gobsmacked at that call out fee, that's really taking the p**s IMO

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
John, so sad to hear about Bruno.

Fingers and paws crossed.

Derek and The Burnip.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
A Great dog indeed. A proper dog.

Sorry John don't mean to hijack your post, but reading Brian's comment just made me laugh.

When I was getting a dog, I chose a bichon frise and my dad said to me, "why don't you buy a proper dog".

Dad is no longer with us and I thank Brian for his comment, bringing back some funny memories.

Lesley

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
bruno

hi john so sorry to hear about bruno,i know you 2 are very close freinds.as many other members have just said that maybe it is finally brunos time.hes had a very happy life with you john.get him through tonite and see what the vet says tomorrow.you know john of all the photos i have took this year (and anyone who knows me knows that its hundreds)one of my favorites is the one of bruno on the step of your rv at oswestry.good times:winky: myself jo & josh sends our best regrds to you:thumb: chin up

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
sorry to hear Bruno is not well John,

See what the vet has to say tomorrow, the weather does not help older dogs at this time of year

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
I know how your feeling John we had to help our St Bernard up on his feet and hold him while he did his business its not a nice feeling. The hardest part was making the decision.
All the best for tomorrow. Thoughts are with you.
Maureen

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Sorry to hear that Bruno is not well. Sat here with our three and we feel for you. Hopefully everything will be ok at the vet's tomorrow.

Kath and Howie

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
our thoughts are with you john,muz and dragon

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Oh John,

So sorry to hear that Bruno isn't too well. I do hope that the vet's diagnosis is encouraging for both of you.

Should you have to let him go, it'll be in his best interest. 10 years is a bl##dy good innings for a Great Dane.

We had to let our wee Bobbie go, and taking him to the vet and saying "cheerio", was the hardest thing I personally, have ever had to do. It was absolutely heartbreaking, but, to prolonging his agony would only have been for our benefit, and not his. How cruel would that have been? It was his time to go.

Whatever fate decides for Bruno, you have our thoughts and best wishes at heart.

Kindest regards John.

Jock & Rita.

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi John so sorry for you, and Bruno's, not feeling well,
sods law things will always go wrong at weekends,
lets hope the vet can do something for him.fingers x.
mans best friend ,

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
John..........This is Mel in France...we have two chocolate labs one is 6 years and one is 14 years, very old now (he was of a heavy set lab), But about 18 months ago we had all the same symptoms with the old dog and thought it would have to be put to sleep.....peeing 1 and 2s all very difficult and could not get the back end up, so we would lift the rear to get him moving...the vet gave him Metacam and glucosamine tablets for dogs (for the joints like us humans take) we now buy them from Healthspan called VETVITS flexi-joints, as they are far cheaper than from the vets and the Metacam we now use a generic called Meloxivet it just a little cheaper from the vets...and that costs 59.50 euros and lasts 2 months ( about 2 euros per day) you inject it into his food a white liquid...we could not believe the difference and he as lasted another 18 months and still going, at certain times in the day he jumps about like a spring lamb when he wants a biscuit.... he still motorhoming with us and the other dog ....................the only problem he takes all the room up in the motorhome.....
Could be worth mentioning to the vets, Unless they know what the problem is.
I know what a dog means, as we have had dogs all our lives.....part of the family, they give far more than they take.

My old dog has never had a growl or a wrong word for anybody and very plasid,
As dogs don't have a long life, it is worth the money for those extra months, years for him,

Good luck Bruno and John hope all goes well
Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
John..........This is Mel in France...we have two chocolate labs one is 6 years and one is 14 years, very old now (he was of a heavy set lab), But about 18 months ago we had all the same symptoms with the old dog and thought it would have to be put to sleep.....peeing 1 and 2s all very difficult and could not get the back end up, so we would lift the rear to get him moving...the vet gave him Metacam and glucosamine tablets for dogs (for the joints like us humans take) we now buy them from Healthspan called VETVITS flexi-joints, as they are far cheaper than from the vets and the Metacam we now use a generic called Meloxivet it just a little cheaper from the vets...and that costs 59.50 euros and lasts 2 months ( about 2 euros per day) you inject it into his food a white liquid...we could not believe the difference and he as lasted another 18 months and still going, at certain times in the day he jumps about like a spring lamb when he wants a biscuit.... he still motorhoming with us and the other dog ....................the only problem he takes all the room up in the motorhome.....
Could be worth mentioning to the vets, Unless they know what the problem is.
I know what a dog means, as we have had dogs all our lives.....part of the family, they give far more than they take.

My old dog has never had a growl or a wrong word for anybody and very plasid,
As dogs don't have a long life, it is worth the money for those extra months, years for him,

Good luck Bruno and John hope all goes well
Mel

I will mention it many thanks:thumb:

thestoneroller

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
so sorry to here about bruno, we had a border collie ( holly ) for 17 years before she passed,
Here is a poem that might give you some strengh,

if it should be that i grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep
then you must do what must be done
for this, the last battle, can't be won

you will be sad, i understand
don't let your grief then stay your hand
for his day, more than the rest
your love and friendship stand the test

we've had so many happy years
what is to come can hold no fears
would not want me to suffer so
when the time comes, please let me go.

take me where my needs they'll tend
only, stay with me until the end
and hold me firm and speak to me
until my eyes no longer see

i know in time you will see
it is a kindness you do to me
although my tail its last has waved
from pain and suffering i have been saved

don't grieve it should be you
who has to decide this thing to do
we've been so close, we two these years
don't let your heart hold any tears

so, i am glad, not that the time has come
but that this earth he roamed and lived upon
was my earth too
that i have closely known and loved him
and that my love i'd shown
Tears over his departure
Nay - a smile
that i have walked with him a little while.

although we said we would never get over Holly, we have by the arrival of Misty (border collie again for our sin's)

thinking of you in this uncertain time.

chris, julie and misty:thumb::thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sorry to hear the news John

We really hope the vets can do something positive xxxxx

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
hi john hope he pulls through as a dog lover i know wots it is like as i had to go threw it with one of are dogs so hope he keeps going

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
John,
What more can I add to all these wonderful comments? The only thing I can say is good luck John your friends will be thinking of you. Its never an easy time, as im sure you read I lost my cat after 17 years this week and can only add empathy to what you must be feeling at these worrying times. One of the saddest things about owning a pet is that you know the likely hood is that they will go first.

So good luck again, and keep us all informed.:Sad:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi John,

Really sorry to hear about Bruno.