Forum pages slow to open.... (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing very slow opening of MHF pages on a thread? The main site opens ok, but often when I click to go to last post, the page remains blank blue background and is quite a few seconds before the post actually kicks in.

Noticed it since MHF went onto this server recently. Never happened before.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had that problem a few days ago at the same time wildman was complaining but it's lightning fast today ..

However, Safari and Firefox were both giving me hassle and I'm now using Camino .. so that may have been part of the problem.. far so good ..

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I had that problem a few days ago at the same time wildman was complaining but it's lightning fast today ..

However, Safari and Firefox were both giving me hassle and I'm now using Camino .. so that may have been part of the problem.. far so good ..
Think I might have to give this Firefox a go.

I'm one of many not liking changes (still run IE6 though on XP Pro). Guess i'm getting old! But many changes, so called 'improvements' are rarely for the better and often worse. IE8 is a mucked around version of IE6.....everything is in the 'wrong place'.....but hey, it has a sexy gold flash through the logo letter.

WOW! :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Zipping along quite nicely here. I was getting a few slow loading threads a week ago, but its fast as ever delivering pages to wales. Firefox. Win Xp

S

stagman

Deleted User
[ The main site opens ok, but often when I click to go to last post, the page remains blank blue background and is quite a few seconds before the post actually kicks in.

I been having the same problem , so far today ok :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Think I might have to give this Firefox a go.

I'm one of many not liking changes (still run IE6 though on XP Pro). Guess i'm getting old! But many changes, so called 'improvements' are rarely for the better and often worse. IE8 is a mucked around version of IE6.....everything is in the 'wrong place'.....but hey, it has a sexy gold flash through the logo letter.

WOW! :RollEyes:

Give firefox a go I don't think you will be disappointed. Once you have it, you can get a lot of very useful addins but you don't need any but essential for me is the British language pack addin which puts a red squiggle under mis-spelled words. and you wonder why you didn't move from IE6 years ago:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am still having problems of pages freezing, sometimes new post doesn't work but home does. chat still locking occasionally. I am not convinced the problem is with my computer. I now often have to clear cookies, temp pages etc in order to reboot but the problem persists giving me problems 4 -5 times a day nothing in particular triggers it, I still have a freeze even with Skype and my web cam drivers unloaded. But chat is less likely to crash if I close IE explorer window with the main fun site on. However is still does just less often.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I am, totally. :Smile:
Could be, as Wildmans describing problems similar to mine.

My desktop runs three hard drives, 80gb + 120gb + 650gb. 2.6GHz Pent 4 processor and 1.5Gb ram.

By comparison the laptop is a dual core 2.26GHz with 2Gb ram.....and 150gb hard drive with hardly anything on it!

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I agree with Jim without knowing more info about your system its difficult to pinpoint the cause ;but does seem to be a local problem.
Regards

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am, totally. :Smile:
well I guess when it finally packs up I will believe it in the mean time I have, cleaned all unnecessary files off the hard drive, cleared cache, cookies, run pc optimiser pro, defraged, added more memory so everything should be in far better order I have tried removing Skype and my web cam drivers and still the problem persists. So if anyone out there is upgrading their laptop and has a spare please keep me in mind before I jump off a cliff with the total frustration of it all. I honestly don't have the same problems with wildcamping, bushcraftuk or numerous other sites that I visit when Fun is playing up. That must be telling me something.
System is Fujitsu Siemens "S" series Lifebook. it has a name on the back I think it is Noah, may be the original owner).
1gig speed
1 gig mem
20 gig hard drive (50% full)
running IE7
( I tried IE8 and it was very unstable so uninstalled it back to IE7)

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I too have had problems with slow pages since the server change and a couple of times in chat i have typed away hit the return key to post and nothing has appeared on the chat screen,only cure is logging out hitting the tools button and manually clearing the cookies for mhf. Once this has been done the pages start to fly again and chat is back to normal, untill the next time when we have to repeat the process again.

I use ie7, ie8 and firefox on three different machines and all have suffered the same problem 2 are on xp and 1 is on vista

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Could be, as Wildmans describing problems similar to mine.

My desktop runs three hard drives, 80gb + 120gb + 650gb. 2.6GHz Pent 4 processor and 1.5Gb ram.

By comparison the laptop is a dual core 2.26GHz with 2Gb ram.....and 150gb hard drive with hardly anything on it!

But wildman is reporting pages freezing, being booted from chat being unable to post. You are reporting that thread can sometimes be slow opening. That is a big difference and not similar at all.

A slow opening thread is a problem I have experienced, it is intermittent so hard to nail down. but I am working on it. Chat rooms are Java based, so they can be unpredictable in the way they interact with the local computer.

When I use this website I do not have a special connection, I am logged in the same as everyone else, I am probably logged on more than most and experience the same problems as any of you guys. At the moment as far as I can see the site is as fast as it has ever been.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
well I guess when it finally packs up I will believe it in the mean time I have, cleaned all unnecessary files off the hard drive, cleared cache, cookies, run pc optimiser pro, defraged, added more memory so everything should be in far better order I have tried removing Skype and my web cam drivers and still the problem persists. So if anyone out there is upgrading their laptop and has a spare please keep me in mind before I jump off a cliff with the total frustration of it all. I honestly don't have the same problems with wildcamping, bushcraftuk or numerous other sites that I visit when Fun is playing up. That must be telling me something.
System is Fujitsu Siemens "S" series Lifebook. it has a name on the back I think it is Noah, may be the original owner).
1gig speed
1 gig mem
20 gig hard drive (50% full)
running IE7
( I tried IE8 and it was very unstable so uninstalled it back to IE7)

I assume that is 1GHz processor speed which is slow for a lappy ;but shouldn't be causing your problem, just a slow to get there. you could try a reset in IE7 ....tools/internet options/advanced /reset.

Try another browser google chrome is less bloated than the others, could also be your internet connection you may be exceeding your bandwidth ? try closing all progrms that is using bandwidth see if that improves.

Lots of things it could be Roger case of elimination i'm afraid

S

stagman

Deleted User
So at least I know i'm not the only one experiencing the same problem.

Just out of interest which browser are you running with?

Internet Explorer , but looking at others at the moment to see what happens .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
lightning fast on safari the best browser by far:thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just defragged my desktop drives and run a scan on all three which came out ok and virus free. Pages opening more like they used to now so maybe it might just be a server issue.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I MAY finally have an answer, as you may remember pages freezing, chat locking up etc all since the server was changed. It did not affect other BBS I am a member of.​
Well I think it my well be the latest upgrade of AVG causing the problem. I changed to Avast and part of the problem disappeared. I say part because I also have a connection problem due to a loose/worn usb modem connection, as long as the lappy is not moved all remains fine. so had 24hrs of no freeze problems and only one total disconnect due to the faulty lead. No idea why fun has a problem with AVG but there you go. I hope my answer is of help to others. Do let us know if it cures your freezing problems. If not just wear a few more clothes, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Many thanks to all who offered help and advice all of which was tried at one point or another. The steam boiler driving the lappy has just about had it so if anyone ends up with a spare lappy after Christmas do please let me know as Noah wants his back.:ROFLMAO:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I MAY finally have an answer, as you may remember pages freezing, chat locking up etc all since the server was changed. It did not affect other BBS I am a member of.​
Well I think it my well be the latest upgrade of AVG causing the problem. I changed to Avast and part of the problem disappeared. I say part because I also have a connection problem due to a loose/worn usb modem connection, as long as the lappy is not moved all remains fine. so had 24hrs of no freeze problems and only one total disconnect due to the faulty lead. No idea why fun has a problem with AVG but there you go. I hope my answer is of help to others. Do let us know if it cures your freezing problems. If not just wear a few more clothes, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Many thanks to all who offered help and advice all of which was tried at one point or another. The steam boiler driving the lappy has just about had it so if anyone ends up with a spare lappy after Christmas do please let me know as Noah wants his back.:ROFLMAO:

Result then Roger::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Camino

I've had no more problems since I started using Camino .. :Smile:

this browser is from Mozila, same stable as Firefox, but built from the ground up exclusively for Mac OS X..

If you are a Mac user I urge you to try it, best Mac browser by far :thumb:

http://caminobrowser.org/

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back