Top 3 (Manufacturers) results (2 Viewers)

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
I thought it might be interesting useful and probably quite provocative (in a positive way)
to summarise the results of my previous posting after it has run for 3-4 days.
This is what you thought. I have just given 1 vote for each positive mention. Negative comments show as minus in brackets. Apologies I have ignored any build/modify your own comments.
Do you think 3 worst might be an interesting survey? I will post separately unless someone beats me to it, so please don't post on here.

Rapido 8
Hymer 7(-1)
Neimann and Bischoff 3
Burstner 3
Swift 3 (-2)
Hobby 2
Pilote 2
Dethleff 2
Frankia 2
Eura mobil 2
Laika 2
The following all got 1 vote
Chausson, Autotrail, Elddis, Knaus, Cathargo, Devon and Karmann.

As a relative newbie to this I hadn't heard of about half of these so I'm wondering if the list is perhaps a little elitist (no criticism intended-high end of the market if you prefer).
Also hardly any of the "popular" makes lined up on UK dealers forecourts appear.
Perhaps this will bring them out.
K

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have owned a few of your favourite and would probably have voted for the one that I was driving at that time, a bit like yourselves.
However, I have now found the best and I think the only motorised caravan that is produced solely by a motor manufacture from the concept and design through to the manufacture using the huge resource of a multinational car giant. You only have to look at the interior mouldings to know that this could only be produced in this way. No plywood no B&Q fixings in fact everything looks and acts like it belongs.
This master piece is sold with a full 3 year manufactures warrantee that covers the entire vehicle. Unlikely but this warrantee can be called on throughout the world for anything from a sink tap, electro hydraulic roof mechanism or an engine. It is horses for courses but I would like to add VW to your list of three .

Did you miss this one. They are the only total motorised caravan producer in the world. It had at least one vote.:Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Error

Yes you're absolutely correct. Sorry for the omission. Ironically when I was looking for my first motorhome (sorry second, I nearly forgot our dear little Bambi) VW base vehicle was top of my list.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
These two are the same group. Not sure about the other Germans.

And Dethleffs if part of the Hymer group too. (Though they are built to a different spec - e.g. insulation sandwich is a lower density foam I believe)

John

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hymer own quite a few marques including a wee fave one of mine, just cause I think they look nice mind you, Eriba.:thumb:

Put me down as Buerstner if you are still counting, O.K. I have one but I did the research and waited till I could get the van I wanted this time, kinda putting my money where my mouth is, not justifying an impulse buy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Now this is getting interesting. I didn't know that we have the number of owners of various marques. Might be worth getting specific.

And yes I would like to keep counting so keep those opinions coming.
Thanks

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i agree with terry self build is best. cant understand any body spending a fortune on a thrown together camper when you can have it made to just as you want.
best build it on a truck they come cheaper than vans and a box is lovelly and square to work with .ha ha.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
i agree with terry self build is best. cant understand any body spending a fortune on a thrown together camper when you can have it made to just as you want.
best build it on a truck they come cheaper than vans and a box is lovelly and square to work with .ha ha.

That,s 2 votes for self build :thumb: we will soon be on par with the Rapidos and Hymers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We are more than happy with our Elddis Autoquest but didn't vote before as it is our first motorhome so have nothing relly to compare with.

You might want to see what people think of the various base vehicles. Ours is the Peugoet Boxer which so far we have had no problems with.

Greg

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
possibly its the high quality of the builds that puts people off. they arent used to such luxury.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
That,s 2 votes for self build :thumb: we will soon be on par with the Rapidos and Hymers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Terry if you got one of my self builds, it would drop your position through the floor, on a good day that is. If not it would be good for touring Australia.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Only 3 votes from the 88 Bursner owners on the site.:ROFLMAO:
One vote from the one VW California owner on the site.:thumb:
Statistically doesn’t look too good does it derek :RollEyes:

Please can you tell me how you can get these stats that there are 88 Burstner owners.
K

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Personally I think statistics are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. (if anyone else remembers fireguards?) More to the point is what people who actually own them say and, as most Fiat owners are more than happy with their vehicles as a recent thread shows then in my view that is more pertinent. If you ask people about car reliability most will come up with Merc, BMW or Audi. In fact the most reliable cars are Japanese and tho' it doesn't often get a mention, Subaru (the brand people keep the longest as well).

:thumb:

Upvote 0

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I actually don't care a jot what other people think, or what conclusions have been reached.

The best motorhome marque in the world is Hobby, indisputeably the finest motorhome that shekels can buy.

I will brook absolutely no arguement in this matter, and any dissent will be completely ignored.

Any attempt at objective comparisons between this and any other marque is completely meaningless, and an utter wast of time.

Hobby is the Subuteo of motorhomes.:Cool:

Owners of any other marques should get a life.

I appreciate that the few, honest, subjective words I have written here may cause offence to other motorcaravan owners, and whilst it is my honest wish not to upset those poor people who have inferior brands, I can only say - GET OVER IT :roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Personally I think statistics are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. (if anyone else remembers fireguards?) More to the point is what people who actually own them say and, as most Fiat owners are more than happy with their vehicles as a recent thread shows then in my view that is more pertinent. If you ask people about car reliability most will come up with Merc, BMW or Audi. In fact the most reliable cars are Japanese and tho' it doesn't often get a mention, Subaru (the brand people keep the longest as well).
ksebruce,
Thanks for comments. Interestingly I went down this same road of checking stats on vehicles before purchasing 2 cars. One for me, a Mazda which was top of the stats at the time and turned out to be the car from hell, then one for my daughter. As you said top three makes were all Japanese. I bought her a W reg Honda which has been faultless to date.
I don't agree stats are useless. How do you think the information on the reliability of Japanese cars was confirmed? Heresay from the forums?
No. From cold, hard stats.
Don't worry I appreciate that any number of stats won't protect you from a rogue vehicle, but they can improve your chances of not owning one.
One of the reasons I have asked lots of people their opinions is because that way the haters and lovers are smoothed out.
K

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back