Digital Switchover (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
This switchover is starting now I think, do I just need a freeview box with my normal (naff) ariel? Will it be an end to the snowy distorted telly I have got used to in the van

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
In my part of Wales we still dont get digital TV or channel 5:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In my part of Wales we still dont get digital TV or channel 5:cry:

It's the same where my Mum lives in Derbyshire - only about 14 miles from the Granada studios in Manchester.

This switchover is starting now I think, do I just need a freeview box with my normal (naff) ariel? Will it be an end to the snowy distorted telly I have got used to in the van

If your aerial is one of the flying saucer ones you will probably need a directional aerial (plus, maybe, a booster box to match it). There was a Status 315 fitted to our van when we bought it but we found that we needed a directional aerial to pick up all channels successfully.

Might be better to invest in some good books though. I see from the news yesterday that the effect of the numerous digital channels is now officially acknowledged as beginning to bite with the drastic reduction in quality of children's programs being highlighted. Probably won't be long before none of it is worth watching :RollEyes:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

My advice.. forget terrestrial tv.. by and large a waste of effort in the UK and as much use as a chocolate fire guard abroad.
Rather buy a satellite system, I started off with a £60 Maplins suitcase model then added a Maxview Crank up dish at around £350 .. superb, great TV anywhere, from the remote Scottish highlands to the Sahara desert .. :winky:
Another option is buy a domestic dish and mount on a tripod or the rear ladder, about £90 complete, the benefit of these are that they can be moved about if the sky is blocked by trees.. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotchjock

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Lunan Bay
Funster No
MH
C class
Digital TV

Hi All
Just joined, got our first MH this year (2007 Hymer T686SL imported).
To answer the original question about digital, I would suggest that it will be a waste of time for motorhomes. How many times are we unable to get a good picture with analogue tv when out in the sticks? Unless the signal is strong, you will not get any picture. There are no half measures with digital. You either get a picture or you don't, nothing in between.
Personally, I am going for the 400mm Camos mk2 satellite dish, mainly because we live in Scotland, and the Camos is not so affected by wind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back