Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Another day out kayaking in what was the most challenging conditions I've experienced so far..
Certainly needed the spray deck :)
No proper video gear but a phone hung round John the instructors neck was best we could do.. and it doesn't look as scarey as it felt lol.. hope the link works.

And couple photos of a haul up on a beach for a break.
20161006_145401.jpg

20161006_145439.jpg

20161006_145519.jpg

should most probably have gone in the u shaped lounge ... sorry

Last edited:
OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Think you enjoyed that. You will be giving lessons shortly LOL
Haha... I was scared... I can't swim that well... unlike some I know:)..
Bit different from Millport that's for sure..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Have to ask, why you would travel down to Roker Marina, when you have some stunning kayaking available from your own river :xlaugh:

I used to live and launch from South Bents and nearly always paddled north to the Tyne, via Whitburn & Marsden. Unless I was looking for surf on the outside of Roker Pier, I rarely went south.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Have to ask, why you would travel down to Roker Marina, when you have some stunning kayaking available from your own river :xlaugh:

I used to live and launch from South Bents and nearly always paddled north to the Tyne, via Whitburn & Marsden. Unless I was looking for surf on the outside of Roker Pier, I rarely went south.
If I was confident enough to be out on my own... owned my own gear I might be doing as you did lol...
But Sunderland have a great facility where you can hire the gear and there's instructors available to give you a few pointers....
It's the Marsden area next week if the weather is good enough..:)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
If I was confident enough to be out on my own... owned my own gear I might be doing as you did lol...
But Sunderland have a great facility where you can hire the gear and there's instructors available to give you a few pointers....
It's the Marsden area next week if the weather is good enough..:)
That makes perfect sense now and it was also a lighthearted poke at the Tyne versus Wear debate that sometimes pops up in the region.

I had a P&H Scorpio, which I bought from NE Kayaks & Paddles, until I sold up last year. That was an excellent boat and I often wish I'd been able to afford to keep it, as well as buy my current Thresher 155 (fishing kayak) which is a big 'sit on top', rather than a 'sit in'.

Getting the Scorpio up on to the roof of my Bolero used to be interesting and if I still had the van, I don't think I would be able to get the Thresher up there by myself, due to its weight and bulk.

When the new van arrives next year, it's going straight up to Karitec in Scotland to get a 'side lift' roof system made :xThumb:

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
When the new van arrives next year, it's going straight up to Karitec in Scotland to get a 'side lift' roof system made

Had a look at their system,but not sure I could have it fitted now with panels dome etc already up there.. I have tried ringing them but could only leave a message..and no one's been back to me yet.
I've left a space down the full length of my roof on the rh side and that's where I will have to carry a kayak.. I'm not sure I'd be up to getting one up there on my own..
I also rang n e kayak and paddles.. I think.. ! is that the shop up around amble..? Didn't bother going up as they said they had no facility to let you try before you buy... and I wasn't about to spend that sort of money without at least having tried it on water.... so the search goes on for a suitable sea kayak..

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I found exactly the same problem with the Bolero. I took it up to them and stayed at a local CL, but on checking the roof there was too much 'furniture' in the way, so I ended up fitting my own Thule J-Bars.

I also struggled to find boats to try out in the NE, but the trip to Karitek was twofold as they also sell kayaks and have their own lake over the road where you can try several boats.
I took my own drysuit and BA with me and spent a couple of hours on the water in 4 kayaks that I had shortlisted. I loved the P&H Cetus, but cost came into it again and ended up going for its plastic equivalent, the Scorpio, which at my level was a good boat.

Ps. Yes, NE Kayaks are at Amble.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Back out on lough Foyle. . Testing conditions and bloody freezing..
Met this fellow the last year when we pulled up on a beach for a rest
downloadfile-2.jpg

Well today on the same beach ... yea you guessed it..
He was back.. I wouldnt care but it seems to be miles from anywhere.
20170209_120407.jpg

Had a seal for company for a while... curious I suppose but no photos of him ...it was a bit choppy and had to keep paddling..
Needless to say the go pro camera I bought for just this sort of thing needed a charge and I can't find the lead..
Couple more ..
20170209_120503.jpg

20170209_101609.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had a look at their system,but not sure I could have it fitted now with panels dome etc already up there.. I have tried ringing them but could only leave a message..and no one's been back to me yet.
I've left a space down the full length of my roof on the rh side and that's where I will have to carry a kayak.. I'm not sure I'd be up to getting one up there on my own..
I also rang n e kayak and paddles.. I think.. ! is that the shop up around amble..? Didn't bother going up as they said they had no facility to let you try before you buy... and I wasn't about to spend that sort of money without at least having tried it on water.... so the search goes on for a suitable sea kayak..
Andy I know it's and old thread but have you talked to Mike at North Shore at Stokesley. http://www.northshoreseakayaks.co.uk I would guess he would have a boat to let you try down at Saltburn or if nothing else he does attend come and try it weekends, if you want to pop down and see him let me know and I will introduce you, we go back a long way, a long long way.

Martin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I hope the dog looks as if its well fed. Now that you know its usually there knowing you , you will turn up next time with food and treats :)

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy I know it's and old thread but have you talked to Mike at North Shore at Stokesley. http://www.northshoreseakayaks.co.uk I would guess he would have a boat to let you try down at Saltburn or if nothing else he does attend come and try it weekends, if you want to pop down and see him let me know and I will introduce you, we go back a long way, a long long way.

Martin
thanks martin, ill most probably take you up on the offer at some point.. will definitely contact him..
trying to put some gear together and it looks like a kayak, will be the last item to get and definitely won't buy one before I've tried so sounds like an ideal opportunity..

I hope the dog looks as if its well fed. Now that you know its usually there knowing you , you will turn up next time with food and treats :)
of course lol..
hes a funny bugger.. won't come near at first... so you ignore him and a few min later he's at your feet with a stick wanting to play.. he must live close by.. at least he doesn't bite me unlike another collie i know :whistle::D

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
at least he doesn't bite me unlike another collie i know :whistle::D
Thats cos you don't feed him. He never bites the hand that feeds him, just other folks that torment him like you. :)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

Martin

I visited their premises a couple of years ago to have a look at their Atlantic and found them to be both accommodating and knowledgeable. I can't remember the name of the person I spoke to, but when I arranged the visit over the phone, I got the impression he was the boss.

The Northshore Atlantic was a lovely kayak and ended up 2nd on my shortlist, with only the P&H Cetus ahead of it, but that was before I decided to save money and not go for a composite boat.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I visited their premises a couple of years ago to have a look at their Atlantic and found them to be both accommodating and knowledgeable. I can't remember the name of the person I spoke to, but when I arranged the visit over the phone, I got the impression he was the boss.

The Northshore Atlantic was a lovely kayak and ended up 2nd on my shortlist, with only the P&H Cetus ahead of it, but that was before I decided to save money and not go for a composite boat.
That would be Mike that you spoke with (the boss) he designs and builds all the boat, I have not paddled a Sea Kayak since the original 'Shoreline" which was North Shore's first foray into building Sea Kayaks after a background in White Water and Slalom.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back