radio cd (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
when we bought our van hymer exiss silverline on a transit chassis there was a sony touch screen cd player in it but the radio reception is horrible constant interference ,went to halfords but they say its the reversing camera i thought maybe the aerial was at fault anybody shed any light on this as its driving us mad ,any help appreciated

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Not if you fit a quality roof aerial with good ground plane,
the best radio in the world will be useless with out a decent antenna full stop,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had the same problem, cured it by installing a W/Screen Aerial, lot of people say they are crap, but I've never had bad reception with mine

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I found that USB sockets for sat nav / dash cam plugged into cigarette socket caused interference on my radio, car and moho.
I replaced the cig socket for a fitted USB in moho but sometimes I still get interference at times when I plug in devices.
I wish I knew what would cure it.
Could @ivorantony give a link to a decent aerial ?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I found that USB sockets for sat nav / dash cam plugged into cigarette socket caused interference on my radio, car and moho.
I replaced the cig socket for a fitted USB in moho but sometimes I still get interference at times when I plug in devices.
I wish I knew what would cure it.
Could @ivorantony give a link to a decent aerial ?

I have used this company, they have a massive choice so I picked out the best for reception for my DAB/FM/AM /CD player, I can truthfully say there is now nowhere in the country I cannot get great reception, I have listen to Heart/LBC/Magic/radio 2/3/4/5 up into Scotland Wales and Cornwall,
it's of paramount importance to have a good ground plane beneath the aerial, especially if it ISNT metal that you are fixing too!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
From my CB Radio days I vaguely recall that a ground plane is a decent sized metal sheet that the aeriel's signal is boosted by. A car wing or similar was ideal. Not sure how you'd manage on a motorhome, though.

Wyn

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
thats a good question Figaro anybody explain what a ground plane is
Not exactly. But an aerial must be earthed, that's the ground plane in a nutshell. Generally the aerial will be earthed to the body of the vehicle. Problem is, with motorhome conversions, the aerial wire is not actually attached to anything, the converters just cut off the wire. Hence the bad reception!

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
well in desperation i went to local auto electrician i saw his eyes glaze over as soon as i told him what the problem was, so ive been out today and bought an electronic glass mount aerial see if that works ,will let you know later in the week when i get a chance too have a look at it

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
well in desperation i went to local auto electrician i saw his eyes glaze over as soon as i told him what the problem was, so ive been out today and bought an electronic glass mount aerial see if that works ,will let you know later in the week when i get a chance too have a look at it
Hi Gaz did you get your radio glass mounted Ariel sorted out.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Last posted Aug 14th Must have been a bigger job than anticipated :xeek:
Link Removedon the metal wing, direct to rear of head unit discarding any existing Arial wire and plug -----sorted
Link for example only Available at any local Halfords or independent car
Accessory shop

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I complained to road hawk that the dash cam made the radio unusable in the car. They suggested putting ferrite rings on the cable, didn't make any difference. Then I bought a hardwire kit to put it in MoHo. I've wired it in but not tested yet and I'm going to be very annoyed if it still makes radio unusable.
PS the hardwire kit has a box of tricks to cut interference, let's hope it works !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For a numpty like me can you explain a good ground plane please ?
Let me take you back in time when everyone had those big old tv aerials..
Forget most of the aerial, but the bit that the cable connected to had, effectively two legs coming out either side of the connector
That bit is called a dipole ( I am keeping this in simple terms before a tech head berates me :) )
It has one leg connected the screen ( the outer wire ) of the coax and the other leg going to the centre of the coax to keep things balanced up

On a car antenna you have one stick.. And the centre of the coax is connected to that.
To balance that one stick the body of the vehicle is used, and that in tech speak is the ground plane

If I fit an aerial on a motorhome I always fit it on the side of a front wing to be sure I am getting said ground plane effect.
You MUST make sure the paint is taken off inside the wing so the earthy side of the aerial makes a good connection.
That is something a lot of factory fitted aerials failed on and was the cause of an awful lot of poor reception issues.

A windscreen antenna ( the better more expensive ones anyway ) do work reasonably well but can never replace a properly installed aerial
To misquote Scotty from Star Trek, ya canna change the laws of physics .. As much as the makers and suppliers would like you to believe they have !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last posted Aug 14th Must have been a bigger job than anticipated :xeek:
Link Removedon the metal wing, direct to rear of head unit discarding any existing Arial wire and plug -----sorted
Link for example only Available at any local Halfords or independent car
Accessory shop
As I did with my first moho....carioca on a 1.9 fiat.
Had to take the wing off as there was less than 2" clearance and no room for hands to get in, but as the wing bolted on it wasn't the end of the world.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Aaaaaaah phoowee! I do get a far better reception, excellent in fact, than the one that had been installed by makers, and I didn't have to faff about drilling holes in metalwork/bodywork to install a Windscreen Aerial:dance2:

Ha ha ha ha! so there see :hugs:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally Hymer A Class have the aerial in the A pillar or the cab roof and also have an inline amplifier and you get good reception.
Our Exiss has excellent reception where our previous low profile Hymer with the standard Fiat aerial was crap.
You could have a poor connection or bad earth to the aerial I would follow the wiring back carefully cheching all the connections.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In our Miller, after a lot of faffing around I decided to dig deep..
Removed most of the dash and then found the problem !
The converters had just cut the end off the coax and left it buried behind a lot of gubbins !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Normally Hymer A Class have the aerial in the A pillar or the cab roof and also have an inline amplifier and you get good reception.
Our Exiss has excellent reception where our previous low profile Hymer with the standard Fiat aerial was crap.
You could have a poor connection or bad earth to the aerial I would follow the wiring back carefully cheching all the connections.
My ML I has absolutely crap reception on the TV I think it should have an amplifier but cannot find it or the aerial, anyone know where it is or should be, If we get a decent picture and stand up it goes all pop and scratch, hold an arm up and it get better sit down it goes, arm up it comes back, it might have been connected to the opening vent in the middle but I can't find it. Very annoying, but the radio is aftermarket and fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back