Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just took the van out for a little run as its been sat for a couple of weeks. Headed off down the A66 (Scotch Corner to Penrith road) just for few miles and a spot of lunch. Flipping Heck its gusty out there! First time I think we have experienced big gusty crosswinds like that and it wasnt good! Take care if your up this way!

BD

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just took the van out for a little run as its been sat for a couple of weeks. Headed off down the A66 (Scotch Corner to Penrith road) just for few miles and a spot of lunch. Flipping Heck its gusty out there! First time I think we have experienced big gusty crosswinds like that and it wasnt good! Take care if your up this way!

BD

Not good at all Barry.. they've been known to rip awnings off RVs.. :Eeek:

I have the T shirt and the brown stains to prove it :roflmto:

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Windy

We're on our way out for a few days, and we have to go over the big bridge on the A14, now thats going to be scarey with cross winds........:Eeek::cry:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Have you read my Link Removed? :winky:::bigsmile:

Hi

I’m the other side of the Pennines near BarnardCastle and I’m not heading your way unfortunately in the near future, certainly not in this wind anyway! If it’s bad down here, god knows what its like on the tops!

Our van I think is 25ft plus a scooter and 7ft6 wide. I had a similar issue. The turning is tight in the little village we live in and the drive is only just wide enough. I have to take both mirrors in, breath in and go for it. It’s a two man job to get it out! I defy anyone to have a tighter parking place than this!

Link Removed

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Rayb182

Just check before you venture to the Orwell Bridge on A14 (if that's the one you are talking about), they do close it for high sided vehicles in bad wind (just in case you didn't know already).

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Damn near theft proof I should think.:ROFLMAO:

Yeah I reckon so. Mrs D's Micra is pretty much unstealable. It has quite a clever security system so much so that sometimes you have to talk nicely to it or it wont even let us in, the vans up against the garage doors so they cant get in there either so unless they climb over the top and reverse over the Micra we should be ok. We have the lowest crime rate in the UK here as well.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Did you park the van and then build the houses around it?:ROFLMAO:

We were up to the North East of Scotland at the weekend and it was a bit windy on the A9 and the A90. However the Forth Road was open and they did not even have a speed restriction for the wind - normally if it is windy they slow the traffic down and if its very high winds close it to high sided vehicles.

Just watching the local (BBC north east) forecast on TV and it looks very wet and windy to the west of the Pennines. However the weather woman is saying that the winds will abate a little towards the weekend.

Link RemovedHappy Thanksgiving

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im assuming you full time in the Kontiki once parked up there....:ROFLMAO:

doesnt look like theres a any way out .:Doh:

ps..you wont be upgrading to an RV then...:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Yep I thought you might ask how you get out. The drive expands at the back and opens out into the garden, you have to get out the passenger side but you can get out and then Mrs D will let you in the doors at the back if your lucky. It was a bit scary at first but Im a dab hand at it now.

By the way its really really really windy up here now!

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Yep, it's picking up in Berwick now, looks like it's heading north. Rains off now though and the sun's out. Very British this innit. :Blush:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

p.s. The hab door at the back of my wee 270 was a godsend in supermarket car parks.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back