Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

My van is going for a service tomorrow, to include cambelt, new discs and pads. I'd like the chassis to be properly serviced, and I know that AL-KO specify that the torsion bar suspension has to be grease.

Unfortunately, I can't find the chassis manual:Doh:

As I understand, and from memory, the rear has to be jacked up, and then has to be greased via the nipples. This much is obvious, but I have forgotten the greasing instructions. IIRC, it is 5 - 7 strokes of the greasegun until fresh grease is seen exiting the bushes??

Thanks

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
I can't help with the specific question Doug, but has your service garage confirmed that they will grease it? I have heard from some people, when they were trying to get their Alkos greased, that some garages don't even have grease guns now!:Sad:

Harvey

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
I can't help with the specific question Doug, but has your service garage confirmed that they will grease it? I have heard from some people, when they were trying to get their Alkos greased, that some garages don't even have grease guns now!:Sad:

Harvey

Yes I was told this by my Garage. I have had to do it myself with the help of a mechanic friend on the first occaision. With regard to the method you are right Doug that Alko say 6or 7 pumps on the gun, but that has never worked for me. I have had to put much more than that in to get any sign of discharge from the bushes. I tend to do it twice a year to be sure but it is a heck of a job to get underneath.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I've just bought a 2004 reg Hymer B614 with the Al-ko rear axle.
A few questions -:
What grease can you use, recommended or otherwise ?
Can you jack up one rear wheel, grease the axle, lower it, then do the same with the other side, or does the whole axle need to be off the ground ?
Whereabouts on the axle are the bushes through which excess grease will be expelled ?

There is mention of the procedure in the literature that I got with the van, but it is a bit sparse with no pictures.

I've still got my high pressure grease gun from my MG kingpin days !

regards
Allen

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

I doubt that the torsion bar runs the width of the axle - it would defeat the object. I imagine therefore that you could easily do one side at a time.

I have both a German and English manual from mine. The German manual tells you it has to be done, and how to do it (except amount of grease needed), and the English one dosen't mention it, though I had printed the instructions inside the rear cover. The manual must have disappeared during the last sevice.

The German manual recommends the following grease:

Costrac GL 1501 or
Cardex 3746 SP

I haven't heard of either, but I'm sure your workshop has a compatability chart.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the rear axle must be clear of the ground on both sides simultaniously and not jacked up under the axle. you need to jack under the chassis itself.

on some alko axles there are two nipples on both sides.

use hard wooden blocks so as not to dent/crease the chassis

if memory serves its 6/7 strokes of a manual grease gun...(i wouldnt use a powered gun)...whether grease appears at the axle ends or not.

any grease that does ouze out will appear from the very end of the axle tube where the swing arm joins on.

if any ouzes out theres no point pumping more in:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
AL-KO man at the NEC said that as the torsion bars do not go the length of the axle, you can lift (and grease) each wheel independent of the other, but I have got into the habit of elevating both wheels prior to greasing.

GL 1501 (Kluber) has been replaced by Kluberlube BE41-1501

Burstnerite

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Overcab Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Re. ALKO chassis greasing

Hi,

I E-Mailed ALKO and received the following response :-

The Castrol LM grease can be used with a hand operated grease gun (this is what we recommend not a pressurised gun) . You will need to raise the wheels clear of the ground; this then allows the grease to circulate around the swing arm journal. By raising the wheels one at a time will allow the grease to reach the correct areas.

Regards
Alan Sanders (Service Manager)

Hope this helps,
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back