12 Volt TV (2 Viewers)

Katieharker

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
Funster No
I have a vision plus 12 volt TV in my motorhome. The picture quality is good if looking at it straight on. It is unwatchable if viewing from an angle. The picture and colour become so distorted that it beggars belief that anyone would think this was ok. I have taken advice and am informed that a long time ago LCD TV's had a limited viewing angle but with the advance in technology this is no longer the case. I am thinking of buying a Meos 19.0" HD Ready Freeview TV + DVD Player but would like to know if anyone has one and it the viewing angle good. Or can anyone advice me which one they have if it performs well.

Katie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Katie and welcome to the FUN.

it sounds like your tv is faulty.

imagine tv flat on wall........if i stand 5ft to the side of the tv and 2ft from the wall i can see a reasonable picture...a little dark but watchable.

most modern lcd tv's have an excellent viewing angle.

john.

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
We have a meos 15 inch that fits in the tv cupboard and I must admit that the viewing angle is not great, quality is fine though, I my lad is in the luton bed and the tv is angles down he can not see it, basically we have to all sit near each other at the same level, it was relatively cheap for a twelve volt at £200 but maybe it is old technology

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a long time ago LCD TV's had a limited viewing angle but with the advance in technology this is no longer the case.
Katie

I have to grin at "a long time ago" because it's only a few years since the first colour LCDs became available for laptops and they weren't very good.

The breakthrough came with TFT which means that every dot on your screen has a transistor next to it. That's around 1000 x 700 x 3 = 2 million transistors and if even one fails you end up with a tiny spot on the screen. It's a technological miracle.

Grab a magnifying glass and look closely at the coloured blocks, in between each one is a transistor to switch it on and off and they are all wired to connectors on the edge.

So there. But I don't know the TV you mention. We have just bought a Samsung 22" and the quality hits you in the face, they really have got LCDs right, now.

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
av got a 16 inch lcd dvd freeveiw cant see on an angle ? keith
p.s that lcd was from morrisons ??? £129 ? keith

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
tv

Hi Katie
I have just bought a Meos 15.4 excellent TV, BUT when sat in the cab seats the picture is some times not up to much as we are sat low, This afternoon I have fitted a back plate to the slide out bracket and the back of the TV, dropped it down by about 6 inches, so all now OK, I will have to remove when travelling to slide TV away in its cupboard but not much trouble as I have used wing nuts for the top fixing and the normal screws in the TV.

Its just a flat piece of thin steel with 8 holes drilled in to match the TV and bracket
I also sprayed it black to match in, its work out fine. Pete:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- ---------------------

dosomethingdifferent

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
Funster No
12v tv

try the toshiba, they make very good screens that give a wide view angle, hard to find, curry's used to sell them, thats where i got mine, cheers j

OP
OP
K

Katieharker

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
Funster No
I have to grin at "a long time ago" because it's only a few years since the first colour LCDs became available for laptops and they weren't very good.

The breakthrough came with TFT which means that every dot on your screen has a transistor next to it. That's around 1000 x 700 x 3 = 2 million transistors and if even one fails you end up with a tiny spot on the screen. It's a technological miracle.

Grab a magnifying glass and look closely at the coloured blocks, in between each one is a transistor to switch it on and off and they are all wired to connectors on the edge.

So there. But I don't know the TV you mention. We have just bought a Samsung 22" and the quality hits you in the face, they really have got LCDs right, now.

Is the Samsung a 12 volt TV? If not how do you convert it.

Katie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is the Samsung a 12 volt TV? If not how do you convert it.
Katie

No it has a fixed mains lead. You could use it via an inverter which converts 12V DC to 240V AC and a lot do this. This one takes 60W which means only a modest sized inverter would be needed. But at 22" and no DVD player not what you want.

Have a look here for a useful guide:
Link Removed

Samsung actually make their own LCD panels ( and sell to other makers ) so they know what they are doing.

But you really need to cheat a bit, get out to the stores, find a display you like then go on line and find the best price. Might be considered naughty but it's the way of the world now.

Buying on line you have the right to send one back without question but it costs you two lots of carriage so not cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back