Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if its empty 26 .i put 23 just to be safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
did once get 30 .never caused a problem . on my big 1400ltr tank calor often fill it to 95percent . thats acording to the gauge . have seen them in other places were you open the valve and liquid shoots out .dont like that. i was always told to remove dust cover and open the valve to blow any bits out in the thread and check for only gas.
makes sense.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
how many liters do you put in a 13kg propane bottle

Hi, why not give Calor a ring and ask them.:Doh: Why is it when I fill my Gaslow 11 kg bottle, I can only get in 20.18ltrs.......:RollEyes:......Why not 22ltrs? Bob.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
amazing ,20.18 litres !

for a start the cut out valves are pretty approximate which is why I prefer to measure an exact number of litres for safety in case the valve goes faulty

secondly the 'fill' varies a little with ambient temperature and the lpg temperature and pressure

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Bottles should NOT be filled above 80 % any one who tells you different is stupid in the extreme. [ IN MY OPINION ].:shout::shout::shout::shout::shout:

:thumb: While I agree totaly with what you are saying :thumb: CALOR say on there web site that bottles contain 80% to 87 % :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek::thumb::thumb:HOWS that for accurate filling
terry

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
vindiboy , on what do you base your assertion that bottles shouldn't be filled above 80%

what tests have you done to ascertain that this is the maximum safe figure?

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I have done no tests but those who are in the safety gas industry have and there is plenty of data out there, my understanding of the reasons for he 80 per cent are that any more liquid gas in the bottles can result in liquid gas getting to your burners with catastrophic results, liquid gas expands about 50 times when it turns to gas I believe so it doesn't take much working out of the dangers, Why do you think that properly installed refillable systems have an 80% cut off when filling,as for the cheap adaptors for filling on E Bay , well use them at your peril, you won't know how much gas you have put into your bottles ,the bottles may not have been empty to start with. Others will say ,well I fill my bottles with as much gas as I can get in, fine good luck to them, but it's going to be a big bang one day and I just hope I am not parked near them. Just my opinion for what you may think it's worth. :Blush::Blush::Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
liquid gas expands about 50 times when it turns to gas :Blush:

just a bit more than that Malc.....:thumb:

from calors website..

Volume

The ability to liquefy under modest pressure distinguishes butane from natural gas. When liquefied, the volume occupied significantly reduces, making it easy to store and transport in specially constructed pressure vessels (e.g. Calor LPG cylinders).
An expansion ratio of approximately 233:1 from its vapour to liquid state means one volume of liquid butane produces 233 volumes of gas.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Malc, while you have the basics ie liquid needing the 20 % to expand into vapour etc,--the question was how much gas in a 13 kg bottle ---- 2 ltrs weighs 1 kg hence the 26 ltrs answer.At no stage did karalal say he was filling using an adapter,you have just assumed it .:whatthe: Then started to spout on about the dangers of using the said filling adapters with either little or no knowledge about using or having used one. :Eeek::Eeek::Sad::Sad:
Don't drive it may get you killed :whatthe:
Don't cross the road some muppet may run you over,killing you :whatthe:
Don't live next door to a house with gas ::bigsmile: they may have a gas explosion --- killing you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, the trouble starts when people start joking about these things, some people may not get to read all the posts.:RollEyes: If you have the right thing for the job, you don't have to worry about how much it takes, I have 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles and 20.18ltrs is the most I have got in any one of them, sometimes less than that, and if I top up a half empty bottle, I have no reason to doubt that it's not more than 80% full.:Smile:And my question was why can I only get 20.18ltrs in a 11kg bottle and not 22ltrs working on what you are saying.

We have just been to Germany for two months, and every time we filled with LPG, they either came out and checked we had a filler on the outside before they turned the pump on, or twice they came and filled it, I was worried they were going to look in my locker as all bottles should have a proper clamp on, and not just strapped like here in the UK. Bob.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would think its down to the float mecanism in the so called 80percentcut off .it floats up and blocks the inlet. the pump starts to slow down builds up to pressure and swiches off.
they are very crude design. bit like gauages . quality costs alot .
yes we do joke .i deliberatly carried on filling once just to see if/ when the pump turned off by itself. thats how i put 30 lt in .when i got home i opened the valve had gas not liquid .so i know it was not full asin to the top.
i do have a lpg tank from a gas convertion and a big calor tank in my garden it is possible to fill both of them using the bleed off valve . i have watched calor fill it to 95 percent by using the bleed off and gauge. i am always chatting with the drivers when i can as calor use agency drivers and it seems like a good job if i stay here one winter . better than sewage tankers that i do in the summer.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Alan, a lot of people take things for gospel they read on forums, we use to think the Factoids on Steve Wright were true............::bigsmile:...Some don't see it as a joke and just carry on until it all goes wrong.:Doh: Believe me I'm no angel, I was an Owner Driver for 18 year's, so never did everything by the book.:RollEyes:

At least you never told me it was expensive, as it was on the last van over 2 years and been on this on since mid April, and after next weekend it will be 176 nights in the van this year.::bigsmile: So had plenty of experience filling LPG, and also had a Duel Fuel car for 6 years. :Smile: Bob.

May 22, 2008
Funster No
hello ? do you use one of them DIY lpg adaptors to fill your bottle thanks keith
Thanks Terry for putting me right,as you will see someone did actually ask the question about using adapters DIY he called them. As you rightly say I have no experience of filling bottles in this way and I never will, as I said all I wrote was my opinion and I care not whether you or any other accept it, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek::Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think we do accept your opinion . we do have to ask if you have ever used a filler as then we can get the full picture. everyone is entitled to an opinion .
in the ideal world itwould be nice to show you how its done just so you can see how easy it is. then if you wanted one you could go off and get one . or decide they are not for you.

imagine you were a inventor and you wanted to sell your latest invention .it was a tin box you tie people inside of it . it travels at over 100mph thousands of people will die in them each year. its fuelled by highly volatile petrol kept in a plastic tank under your rear seat ,where your children sit. it also gives off a gas that will kill you if you breath it in.
do you think it would sell well .its called a car.
if we knew then what we know now would there ever been motor cars. or internal combustion engines.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry for putting me right,as you will see someone did actually ask the question about using adapters DIY he called them. As you rightly say I have no experience of filling bottles in this way and I never will, as I said all I wrote was my opinion and I care not whether you or any other accept it, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek::Eeek:
Hi Malc Sorry if you took offence :thumb:
I have been using one for above 4 yrs and ran a gas converted car before that, hence my getting an adapter because they were so easy to use.:thumb: I like yourself would not have touched one prior to this.
I have read thousands of posts on the use of them and Gaslow type filling type systems :thumb::ROFLMAO: NEVER seen one post about an adapter leaking or blowing up while using one etc, I have read one post on the Dark side (above 26 page thread) who said his son set his tent on fire through using a alleged overfilled bottle that he bought (off the camp-site owner I think if I remember correct) but even that turned out to be down to his sons stupidity of changing the bottle next to a naked flame :Eeek:
As to the Gaslow type there are hundreds of posts about various leaking connectors,pipes joints and sticking valves :Eeek: but none resulted in any van going boom that I have read.
I have seen lots of gas explosion clips of vans at shows (burger type stalls ) and gas tankers going up (at filling station ) but again these all come down to gas and sparks/naked flames that do not mix too well :Eeek:
No one has yet has posted one indecent about the adapters causing a big bang :ROFLMAO: perhaps no one survived :winky::winky::ROFLMAO:
terry

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, the trouble starts when people start joking about these things, some people may not get to read all the posts.:RollEyes: If you have the right thing for the job, you don't have to worry about how much it takes, I have 2 x 11kg Gaslow bottles and 20.18ltrs is the most I have got in any one of them, sometimes less than that, and if I top up a half empty bottle, I have no reason to doubt that it's not more than 80% full.:Smile:And my question was why can I only get 20.18ltrs in a 11kg bottle and not 22ltrs working on what you are saying.

We have just been to Germany for two months, and every time we filled with LPG, they either came out and checked we had a filler on the outside before they turned the pump on, or twice they came and filled it, I was worried they were going to look in my locker as all bottles should have a proper clamp on, and not just strapped like here in the UK. Bob.

Hi bobandjane

I am about to fit a Gaslow system.

Re the regs in Germany, you say they checked for a filler on the 'outside'. Do you mean that it has to be on the body of the 'van? Gaslow offer a bracket which can be mounted in the gas locker would this be acceptable?

Secondly what type clamp is required-is it a metal band tightened by an over-centre clip which snaps to to lock it?

Any ref to a web-site detailig the regs?

Does anyone know of any other special regs in other European countries?

Geoff

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Terry, no offence taken , have a look at these pictures of what was happening on a wild camp in Morocco,I was not involved in the attempted transfer of gas from one bottle [ Moroccan ] to the gas low jobbies, but a large crowd gathered and we had lots of laughs and lived to tell the tale, some Germans threatened to call the cops if the attempted transfer didn't stop.

Attachments

• MOROCCO 3 039.jpg
    MOROCCO 3 039.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 82
  • MOROCCO 3 038.jpg
    MOROCCO 3 038.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 77

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: nice ones---I have also seen some pics of a Moroccan man filling a small bottle from a large one with a lit cig in his mouth -- heading was something like gas is heavier than air and he is 6ft tall :Doh::Eeek:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
malc. its very easy to do that sort of gas bottle filling. i fill myspanish or english bottles this way in marac. at 45 dirham to change maroc bottles why not. i do have maroc bottle aswell.in many countries they do it for you so you dont have to get another bottle there dhould be no leaking gas .except for whats in the pipe after you finish..cheerrs alan.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
alan although as you say it is absolutely no problem to at least half fill your bottle this way [ maybe not with gaslow , and certainly not with low pressure hoses which it looks like in those photo's ] , I don't bother
it looked like a butagas bottle in the photo , what brands do they sell in maroc now ? used to be all french brands ; would be interested to know

so why not take a french bottle to just swop ; filling your locker with 2 gaslow bottles in spain or maroc seems a silly idea ...as I have stated elsewhere I only use the standard european thread so it would be easy just to run a french bottle

not that I am going back ...SHMBO loathes the place , each year I suggest going back but after 23 years I know the answer :Smile:

what I don't understand in those photo's is ...why not just connect up the bottle ? possibly he had just borrowed it from the shop to empty out , I ran an lpg powered vehicle for the winter on butane doing that , used a hand pump to fill the vehicle tank , took 3 bottles just nicely

and call the police ? so what , what would they do , laugh ?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back