Which one (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have 150 Halfrauds vouchers and want a sat nav I liked look of the Tom Tom xl classic with euro maps. But the guys at work are telling me to buy a garmin because they are the best so what do you guys think ? Please remember I have to buy at Halfords as I have the vouchers

THANX in advance

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
TomToms are fine. All satnavs can suffer from errors on the maps they use, but a new sat nav will also have a new map.

TomTom have the biggest range of POIs which is very useful in a MH.

I would go for TomTom every time.::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
TT gets my vote .. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have tried both and prefer Garmin every time. Especially with the new life time map upgrades for £99 - gets my vote!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TomTom every time :thumb:

i have a very expensve (at the time £600) Navman and its crap...it couldnt read a map even if it was in large print:Angry:

its been in the cupboard since i got tomtom

Last edited:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
I too bought a nafman a few years ago. Cost £600 plus. A year latter they made it obsaleat [pardon the spelling ] I am now unable to up date it. dont get court out by these shiesters
Pudseykeith

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I too bought a nafman a few years ago. Cost £600 plus. A year latter they made it obsaleat [pardon the spelling ] I am now unable to up date it. dont get court out by these shiesters
Pudseykeith

mine was ok in the uk....just.

foreign maps were writen by Marco Polo.

tried to send me down a track through an olive grove in spain and to get to it i had to turn left on a dual carriageway :Doh:
turns out it was a section of the old road before the 'new' road was built about 50 years ago.

cost me £100 for the foreign map discs as well....:Angry:

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
They dont have an expiry date but today the europe xl can be bought for 130 I reckon thats cheap enuff and will do me fine.So i can go purchase it today and play with it over my xmas break :thumb:

Thanx for you opinions

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, I am not a tekkie freak or anything but the first sat nav was garmin, (couple of yrs ) then tried a few others -- got rid after a few days / weeks -- stuck with a tom tom for a couple of years and now back to GARMIN which gets my vote every time :thumb: you can get the TT poi to display on the garmin but that is way beyond my capabilities :ROFLMAO:
terry

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Unlike others here I have never used a Garmin therefore those who have tried both know better but my TT has changed my life. I find it to be brilliant... the more I learn about using it the better it becomes... and it has the nearest Burger Kings!!!

JJ

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I am no techy either so the tom tom is gonna serve me well I am sure this is the one I have chosen

Link Removed

Leaves me a little change for furry dice and air freshners etc

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Navman 60i with Europe and N.America maps-we have always arrived at out destinations with no hassle and on time. Our canadian reles were impressed that we never needed any directions from them and never got lost.
Having said that,we were travelling by car at these times and it did take me down some very narrow lanes when I told it to 'avoid motorways' Now we have M/H I'm looking for something else :roflmto:

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
We have Tom Tom Work in our trucks and this summer i ran the wifes new Garmin (just a cheapy) side by side .
Tom Tom doesnt have truck setting but Germin has and also has motorhome setting.

I like the information on the screen on the Tom Tom and the voice instructions were clearer , but the Garmin won hands down in the truck setting for route selection.

I might add i am a map person and writing down my route prior to setting off is prefered

Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you are lucky ian i have never had a truck to drive with a sat nav .i have driven several different company trucks. i like maps.
i now have sad nav.... i,m still trying to get her to hold the map the right way up.. dont tell jan. she gets angry and beatsme.. h ha

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi , I have a TT xl europe and a Garmin 760 t . It's the Garmin I prefer and also you can get lifelong map updates for £99 when needed .:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have had a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for 5 years and used it in the US and Europe, tremendous. Have now got a new Garmin nuvi 865 t with voice recognition etc its the bees knoblies :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back