Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
just been told by brittany ferrys that the one to santander on sunday has been canceled due to bad weather . booked onto the next one in a weeks time :Angry:

S

stagman

Deleted User
just been told by brittany ferrys that the one to santander on sunday has been canceled due to bad weather . booked onto the next one in a weeks time :Angry:

Done that trip about 3yrs ago in October,gale force 9.My wife and son stuck in the cabin whole trip apart from 1hr each side and me wondering about up on deck watching oil tankers disapeering in front of me , and no one saying anything ,no info whatsoever.My wife won't go there again .I just put it down to bad luck .:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

A whole week lost. That could be half a holiday.

I know what I'd choose - wait a week or go through a near death experience !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: yes not to sorry to wait a week . just hope the weather will be better then. We are over there till end of may there abouts so loosing a week wont matter :Blush::Blush:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

:cry:Oh NO, after all that you have been through this last week Theresa ............:winky: You have had so many Ups and Downs it's untrue...:cry-smile:.....Still only another week.::bigsmile:

:Doh:Good thinking Brian, just say oh well, we will have our return booking a week later as well.:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :thanks2: . Bob

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
If you can do a Hebridean accent say;-
There should not be any Sunday ferries anyway!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why no sunday ferries . ideal for the trip involved .by monday dinner time you are in the sun .full week to drive down to th med.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

The way the weather is shaping up in the UK,, :Sad:

Why not cancell that trip and get your money back, a leasurly drive up to Dover hop on a ferry and drive down.. :thumb:

You could have one or two over nighters in an Aire and be here in this hot heat by Tuesday.. :thumb:

This heat cannot last that much longer. :winky:

Will try and hang on to it for you, but cannot promise. :Cool:

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Thats a shame especially when you are geared up ready to go.
We are on the train on the 1st prefer it with the dog.Only had one stop in France last time at St Maure De Touraine south of Tours then a night in Spain nr Miranda This time we may take longer as there are 3 of us going down..depends how cold it is no point hanging around in a freezing wet France.
Hope you both get down the following Sunday. Might see you around ..

Val

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Why not cancell that trip and get your money back, a leasurly drive up to Dover hop on a ferry and drive down.. :thumb:

You could have one or two over nighters in an Aire and be here in this hot heat by Tuesday.. :thumb:

Withdraw that post IMMEDIATELY, way too sensible for FUN.

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
The way the weather is shaping up in the UK,, :Sad:

dover is so far to drive for us down here in cornwall , dont get me wrong we have done it lots of times , but we have changed the van and have a bigger engine to feed plus all the way in france it was cheaper to do the plymouth -santander crossing , but the way its gone now maybe we should have driven up. lesson learned :Blush: may come to that yet if we still have the gales for next week. the trouble is i am not very keen to stay on aires any more after being robbed one year (chicken) and not many sites open in france now :Blush::Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi theresa the lesson learnt is leave 3 weks ago .i normally do .dont think i,ll leave it so late next year. wouldnt want to drive to dover today its getting worse by the minute. be ok next week i,m sure .did think aboutroscoff but then its not nice in france if its bad weather either. cheers alan.

OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
no you are right alan , think next year we will be home for xmas , so may leave it till feb. thats when we went last year and the weather was better for us when we got to spain , all the brits were ready to go home as the winter in spain was not that good last year . we are having it bad here at the moment with these bloody gales arnt we , still not long now mate and we will be out of it . see you next sunday , oh by the way did try brittany ferrys for some comp (cheeky i know ) see if they would give us a free upgrade on cabin but no joy . still what you dont ask for you dont get :Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i did hint to them that i would go to roscoff if they knocked 100quid off but no they just laughed. best is leave in oct .cross to maroc middle of dec . 3 mnt there then spain is lovelly n warm to come back to. you should try it .once you have been you either love it or hate it. its not red hot there in winter but more like our summer sun . see you nx week .cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How about fire !

often wondered why they never fitted water taps in the tunnel roof...:winky:

tunnel or bay of biscay......i know my choice.

tunnel fires.

only 3 fires since '96

Large storms occur in the bay, especially during the winter months. Up until recent years it was a regular occurrence for merchant vessels to founder in Biscay storms,

how many ships lost ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
Large storms occur in the bay, especially during the winter months. Up until recent years it was a regular occurrence for merchant vessels to founder in Biscay storms,

how many ships lost ?[/QUOTE]

make me feel better why dont you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The only 3 recent ferries that I can think of were the Estonia (1994), the Scandanavian Star (1990) and the Herald of Free Enterprise (1987)
None in the Bay of Biscay, so I think the odds are fairly low :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back