2nd hand M/H.....need opinions!! (1 Viewer)

petrab

Free Member
Nov 11, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Hello all,

I have found these few 2nd hand m/h in the Friday Ads and would love for some experience opinions

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

as you may tell our finances are a bit limited!

thanks

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Like the look of the 2 Hymers some of these can be a bargain if they have been looked after, at least you know they started life as superior motorhomes, in build quality.

Hope you find something.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well LHD certainly comes cheaper in the uk , but if you are happy with that either of the hymers look as though they could give satisfaction ...wouldn't consider the other one though , would soon get fed up crawling up the hills with the 2litre turbo

depends on what sleeping accommodation you want , the 6 berth looks rather overpriced though
frankly the hymer A class are well built and go on for ever , presumably they both have 5 speed gearboxes with fifth to the right and back which is the only weakness [ the 5th is an extra box added on and suffers from poor oiling ] , so look out for a poor/noisy change

worth a look I would say

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
check out ebay, you can pick up a 1989 or 1990 for far less than 8k.

Whatever vehicle you decide make sure its well checked over including all the internal applicances.

Good luck xxxxx

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hello all,

I have found these few 2nd hand m/h in the Friday Ads and would love for some experience opinions

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

thanks
there are plenty of bargains to be had out there at the moment, do check out fleabay. If you are not mechanically minded get someone to check it out for you. Get a damp meter, cheap enough on ebay check under the seats in both rear corners and around windows. Check all appliances, batteries gas bottles etc. If you find any signs of bodging avoid the vehicle as the base vehicle maintenance is likely to be bodged as well.
Of the three above the two hymers have my vote, German vans are built for a northern European winter, whilst British vans are built for a southern European summer. The 1981 one seems a tad overpriced. I would be glad to get £10k for my 1981 Mercedes based 6 berth Coachbuilt and that has been rebuilt from the ground up so virtually new rolling stock. I am nearing the end of a total restoration. What ever you buy over 10 years old will only be at the start of that cycle luckily rust is no a problem with the merc commercial chassis, nor is the engine but other vans are nearing the end of their life at that age unless very well cared for from new. Check service records and receipts, old mot's etc. you can now check MOT records online at least as far back as computerisation, that will show failures and any advisories. Good luck

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
[For various reasons would not go for any of those 3 .The two Hymers are way over priced and as said previously the other engine two small .I would be looking for at least a 2.5 turbo , has to be turbo.Example my mate bought a Hymer 544 2.5 turbo 1997 , 40,000mls, excellent condition needed a few problems sorting , and it can be very expensive if you can't sort it yourself . Price paid £15k:thumb:

Upvote 0

MIN663

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
Hi, agree with the other posts, They do seem a bit over priced.
Bought our Hymer 534 for less than 8K, low millage and came with some good extras added solar panel air ride etc.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
spongy

Hello all,

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

thanks

whatever motorhome you are looking at check for DAMP, DAMP and then check again, damp is very expensive to rectify. Good luck

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with the previous posters..

A good used older Hymer is hard to beat.. I love them, it's on the top of my list to replace the RV..

Just to repeat some of what's been said .. check for

Damp .. highly unlikely in an old Hymer, they have double skinned ally walls with a steel frame. no wood to rot away, if there is water ingress it should be easy to fix and unlikely to have done any structural damage

Service history, cam belt change, chassis , tyres, brakes etc.. try it on full lock, forward and reverse, listen for any clunking coming from the CV joints..

and check all appliances work, don't take anyones word for it.. fridges and water heaters are expensive beasts to replace,..

good luck..

jim

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back