Swift LCD Control Panel Problems (1 Viewer)

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hi, Just wondered if anyone has had or is having problems with their control / display panel on their Swift / Ace / Bessecar MH like us. Ours is a Bolero 680FB 2008 and when on mains or battery, after 30mins to 1 hour the right hand half of the control panel 'reverses' itself to display a mirror image of what the correct display should be and some of the figures are corrupted.

Todds motorhomes are being very helpful, but reckon this is an problem to do with the changeover in electrical component supply from Nord to Sargent ( or vice versa ) and my panel the NE183 is no longer available (?). They have had a circuit board replaced already but still no improvement and are taking it up with Swift and Nord again

Everything seems to work ok but this panel display thing is a real pain. Any suggestions anyone?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i believe a temporary fix is to remove the panel and disconnect it for 30 seconds then reconnect.
this resets the panel and may fix yours for good....who knows?

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Control panel

Hi Bob and Jules

Pappajohn has beaten me, and is correct.

We had this problem with our Bessacarr E760, about a year ago.

We removed the plastic bezel carefully, then I think four retaining screws, this allowed the works frame to be lifted out, (there is ample cable length) disconnect the block connector, we were advised to count to ten and then reconnect. We did and it still working as it should. Replace the works and secure, then carefully replace the plasic cover.

I have encountered this in the latest Besy's with the Nord charger etc., and the same action resolved that owners problem. I also "understand" that withdrawing the 40amp fuse, from the leisure battery cable to fuse holder, for ten seconds, and replacing, may reboot the control panel, but it did not work for us.

If you are under warranty, and you try this action, be aware, any sign of "self help" could infringe your warranty, but not your statory rights.

I hope this helps:thumb:

Nomadic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Pappajohn is correct .on picking up our swift was told if you have a problem with control panel ,disconnect it and yes dos-work ok after that :thumb:

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Normally, if the control panel looses communication with the fusebox, a "NO CONNECT" error will appear on the LCD, indicating this problem.

By disconnecting the data cable on the rear of the panel, you force the fusebox and control panel to re-establish communication, and this (in turn) forces the fusebox to reset.

However, if you have already had a replacement control panel or fusebox, then this reset has (by default) already been performed. Further diagnostics is required, by your dealer, as the fault could lie with the control panel itself or even the data cable.

Any change of Swift suppliers does not affect our ability to obtain replacement parts, including control panels, so the NE183 panel is still available for Customer Care and warranty replacements, although it is no longer fitted to production vehicles.

I hope that helps.

Ash

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
after 30mins to 1 hour the right hand half of the control panel 'reverses' itself to display a mirror image of what the correct display should be and some of the figures are corrupted.

if the control panel looses communication with the fusebox, a "NO CONNECT" error will appear on the LCD, indicating this problem.

no disrespect Ash, but the display doesnt indicate a data connection error.

Last edited:

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Papajohn,

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Part of my response was to Normadic, who advised reconnecting the black data cable (on the rear of the panel) may solve the issue.

My comment was intended to suggest that if there were a communication issue (normally resolved by re-connecting the data cable), the panel will inform you of this communication loss.

Hence, I believe the issues experienced Bob & Jules maybe more than just a data connection issue, it could be a faulty fusebox or control panel, The panel itself does very little in comparison to the fusebox, but the panel does contain a PCB housing a graphics chip to function the LCD, and my first thoughts was that this chip was at fault.

Having said that, clearly other customers, including Normadic, have had this issue and resolved the issue by resetting the communication. During the replacement part being fitted, this reset would have been performed automatically, and therefore, further investigation is required.

I hope that is a little clearer!

Ash

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
LCD Display

I]Hi Ash,

The process I proposed was provided by a Swift dealer, and it worked for us, and another user with a 2008 model, fitted with the dutch control unit.

We did not get the error message you indicated, just ------.

We have not had any repeat problems, all is still well, our E760 is fitted with Sargent's ec200.

It would appear there are more solutions to the same issue, as with the Surflow pump.

Nomadic[/I]

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
LCD Control Panel

Hi Ash

Sorry about the size of the font and the bold print, I tried to edit it out and reduce it, but failed. Have checked my settings and they seem ok, so I'm not sure what happened.

Nomadic

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Normadic,

I think your editing has work, the font seems fine to me.

I think the fact you have a Sargents EC unit may explain a lot, as Bob and Jules with a Nord NE183 panel they must have a Nord fusebox.

I would guess that you have a different control panel. Either way, I'm glad it was a simple fix for you.

Ash

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Control Panel

Many thanks to all who have posted, especially Ash / Swift Group. Ash is correct in that we seem to have a more complex problem than just a panel that wants disconnecting and reconnecting. This has been done several times during the course of investigations/replacements by Todds Motorhomes. As I've said Todds have been very helpful and claim to be told by Swift that a batch of panels made by Nord were inadvertently left outside somewhere ( not sure if at Swift or Nord ) and got wet, hence some of the problems some of us have experienced.
The story goes that this issue caused panel problems on such a scale that Swift ran out of replacements and so our own panel had to be sent off to have some new circuitry put in.
Sadly this has not rectified the problem and Todds advise us that Swift no longer have any stock of the NE183 for replacement.
As we stand at the moment Todds are talking to Swift and I think to Nord direct to see if we can find a solution, but their best guess is the fusebox.

Many thanks Ash, and have you any comment on the NE183 no longer being available........ and if it is, can I have one!!, Regards

walnut

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
We had problems with our 2008 Bessacar E495.
The fresh water level guage was not working.
While an engineer was checking out the wiring he found several connectors on the control/fuse board had pins out, also the connector to the leisure battery was cross threaded so the terminal was loose.
Eventually found the problem causing the guage not to work was a bad connection, wire was broke but insulation still connected.

Only way he found the fault was by pulling the individual wires in each connector, the fault one snapped off.

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Bob and Jules,

There does seem to be some confusion in what your dealer is telling you, I am certainly not aware of any of electrical components being left in the rain.

If Todds are in communication with our Customer Care team, they will be told that these panels and fuseboxes are still available. However, if you want me to check the status of your case, please drop me a PM with VIN & name, and I will come back to you.

I hope that helps.

Ash

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Just to let you all know that all Nord warranty will now go through Italy and not the U.K.
Looks like it will now take even longer to sort out their charger/fusebox/display panel issues.

Once I get more news I will let you all know.

Dan

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Dan,

The Swift Group are responsible for any Nord related warranty issues, and rather than have the dealer deal direct with Nord (as they do with other components, such as the heaters and fridges), they should contact us.

Customers who experience a problem, or who need advice, should still contact their dealer, as normal.

Thanks,

Ash

Last edited:

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Ash, only reading the new warranty procedure as outlined by Stellings (Nord) ' For all your Warranty Labour costs involved with replacement of faulty items please forward details direct to Nordelecttronica ITALY'

Dan

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hello All! Just an update on this LED display issue. The Nord panel IS still available and with thanks to the great service of Swift and especially the dealers, Todds Motorhomes we have had a complete new panel fitted and all is well..........................and just to wind up anyone still waiting for their habitation door, Todds got one from Swift and popped than on for us aswell....... Result!

Thanks to all posters, especially Ash at Swift

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hello All! Just an update on this LED display issue. The Nord panel IS still available and with thanks to the great service of Swift and especially the dealers, Todds Motorhomes we have had a complete new panel fitted and all is well..........................and just to wind up anyone still waiting for their habitation door, Todds got one from Swift and popped than on for us aswell....... Result!

Thanks to all posters, especially Ash at Swift

Glad to see you have been sorted out.

Nice to see Swifts are once again looking after their customers:thumb:
My own experiances with Swifts has been the same:thumb:

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Bob & Jules,

That’s fantastic news, I'm glad we were able to help.

Thanks,

Ash

fatfish98

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Bob & Jules,

That’s fantastic news, I'm glad we were able to help.

Thanks,

Ash

Sorry to bring up an old topic guys and girls but we have just picked up a 2008 Bolero EW with the NE183 control panel. I have found a thread on another forum that describes my problem:
"I also have a question about this panel, if anyone can help, when I select the heating only switch (squiggly lines) it will not work unless I have also got the hot water & squiggly line button below it switched on, is this correct? (Ace Airstream 630) "

That is my exact question, surely I should be able to select just the space heater only button?

Kind regards
Stuart

Richard English

Free Member
May 21, 2017
Partridge Green
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 410
Exp
Since 2014
I have only just found this forum and am hoping that someone can help me with the NE183 control unit on my Bessacar. The fault seems similar to, but not identical to, others that have been posted. After its winter layup I am recommisioning my Bessacar and the control unit's LCD display is filled with random stripes, which vary according to which function I select - but the proper readout won't appear. I have tried switching it off and on and the display won't show - although the various functions seem to be working correctly. Obviously the vehicle is useable, but not having functions such as the water level indications is rather a nuisance.

I haven't as yet tried disconnecting the leisure battery fuse (not least because I haven't yet managed to find it; the Bessacar owner's handbook is silent on the subject of fuses). But I do know where the leisure battery is so I could simply disconnect it if this might help. I read the post about removing the unit but haven't yet gone down that route - not least because the bezel seems to be stuck or clipped down with no screws in evidence.

Any thoughts as to a solution would be gladly accepted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back