La chat (1 Viewer)

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi all have a slight dilema.The cat sitter has moved ,do any of you take your cat with you ,any problems doing so .Thinking of couple weekends away to try it out .

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Not done it my self, but seen plenty of owners with cats on site, on leads and off:thumb:

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
just rely on the cat being nowhere to be seen when its time to go home:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
many cats love it ; just make sure to accustom the cat to being in the vehicle , try spending some time with it there , then leave the door open and encourage it to wander in and out

the important thing is it regards the vehicle as a place of safety , then it will come back there if it wanders off

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well, if you're thinking of going to France, we might want to check the difference between 'le chat' and 'la chatte'.

I think it might be wrong to ask an old lady if you can play with 'la chatte'.

I think we need Frankie (Yodeli) to help here :Eeek:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi all have a slight dilema.The cat sitter has moved ,do any of you take your cat with you ,any problems doing so .Thinking of couple weekends away to try it out .

All depends on the cat, who I'm sure you are aware is the BOSS!:ROFLMAO:
Our Doug has been 'vanning all his life and Doug 1 before him, most of his 11 years.
Some cats go bonkers and run the wall of death when in a car and some, like ours, chill out BIG TIME!::bigsmile:
Best way is to take the cat in the van and just fire up the engine on the drive for a while. Lots of fuss, lots of attention, the full works. If the animal seems happy enough, try a little run up the road. Best if SWMBO can join you for this. Quite apart from anything else, the law states (AFAIAA) that it is illegal to take an unboxed/caged cat in a vehicle with JUST the driver but NOT if there is a responsible passenger who can control the animal.
Personally, I've NEVER boxed my cats under any circumstances what so ever. Never found the need, simple voice comands and a firm grip are enough but that obviously wont work for ALL cats.
Trial and error I'm afraid, short steps at a time. You might find that the animal is fine when driving and then bolts the second a door/window is opened. Again, time, patience and care is the order of the day. When you stop, dont open the door straight away. Give the cat time to take stock of its surroundings.
Now, our Doug is unreal but then he's had PLENTY of practise.
Cheshire to DOVER = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Channel Tunnel = One eye open as if to say "what's going on Dad"?
Nowt, go back to sleep!
Oh, OK, Zzzzzzzzzz.
Calais to Chateau Gandspette = Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

But the SECOND we pull into the site, head up, fully alert, yarking like mad to be let out and explore! How the heck he knows i dont know, but he does!
Keep our eye on him for the first 5 minutes whilst we set up, after that, he's free (within reason!)
Other peoples pitches are a HUGE No No ! and just in case, we have a tracker fitted to his collar which he HATES cos we can always find him!:ROFLMAO:

Give it a go, you'll be surprised as to how adaptable cats are and how much fun and joy you can have with them when 'vanning.
a caravan friend of ours has unfortunatley just "lost" his cat. Minty was 18 years old and 'vanned all his life till he went to the big CL in the sky.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, if you're thinking of going to France, we might want to check the difference between 'le chat' and 'la chatte'.

I think it might be wrong to ask an old lady if you can play with 'la chatte'.

I think we need Frankie (Yodeli) to help here :Eeek:

very good ...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

According to Google

Le chat is 'chat'

La chat is 'cat'

La chatte is 'pussy'
:Blush:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well i'm afraid i'll have to teach a few things to google .... masculin and feminin things especially :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Let's say it another way: there are only 2 words : "le chat": a male cat and "la chatte" a female cat... and that's it !

Now i'd like to know whether thehuchies know something different about "la chatte".....??? Did you happen to know the double meaning of it::bigsmile:? and why an OLD lady?:Eeek:

Frankie:winky:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
geo and Pammy take their ratcatcher with them...:ROFLMAO:

he sure does, and we don't put him on a lead either. He mostly stays in the RV but does go out on the odd occasion until he hears a dog bark and then he scutters back in again.

On one occasion tho' he did get chased up a tree by Steve and Marilyn's dog (Scran) but he managed to get back eventually when he got out of the tree. (look on the photos of Linton Lock meet).:Doh:

We wouldn't take him abroad though - that is purely 'our time'.:winky:

Hope this helps
Pammy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well i'm afraid i'll have to teach a few things to google .... masculin and feminin things especially :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Let's say it another way: there are only 2 words : "le chat": a male cat and "la chatte" a female cat... and that's it !

Now i'd like to know whether thehuchies know something different about "la chatte".....??? Did you happen to know the double meaning of it::bigsmile:? and why an OLD lady?:Eeek:

Frankie:winky:
Now far be it for me to embarass a lady but you allude to a double meaning, maybe you should enlighten us so I don't get my face slapped again:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Sorry! :Blush:

It was a very old joke told to me by a French schoolgirl.

English man offers to play with an old French woman's cat - makes old French woman very happy...

Don't pronounce the 't'!

:roflmto:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, While we are on the subject, just watched a old version of QI and it seems the Toyota MR2 has a different name in France as MR2 appears to mean something completely different and not very complimentary

Link Removed

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Sorry! :Blush:

It was a very old joke told to me by a French schoolgirl.

English man offers to play with an old French woman's cat - makes old French woman very happy...

Don't pronounce the 't'!

:roflmto:

As i don't want to ofend anyone i won't give a clear explanation.... just give an indication for those who are still uncertain with the meaning.... just think under the belt!::bigsmile:Now i think the schoolgirl didn't really know what it meant cause you have to pronounce the "t" since it's "la chatte" and not "le chat" which doesn't mean anything else but... the cat. If the lady was that old...i'm not surprised she was happy with it:ROFLMAO:

Frankie::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all, our cat has traveled with us everywhere in Europe without problems. We always make sure the paperwork is up to date. We were never cat people, always having dogs,but I can say with confidence that the cat is probably less trouble than the dogs were when traveling. Having said that she was tiny when we got her and we were living in the RV at the time,so she probably thinks of it as home anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back