red bottle lpg? (1 Viewer)

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
hello as anyone yet tried this new adaptor off ebay ? that you use to fill empty gas bottles at the LPG pump at the petrol station ? thanks keith

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
It has been discissed on here somewhere, I will look for the thread.
There will be some folks running for cover at the very thought.
Link Removed
Andy

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
found this in one of the threads...

t you must make sure the bottle is empty before refilling, otherwise it could be over 80%. It also means a gas bottle wont be tested during it's life if it's constantly refilled without going back to the issued company.

Gaslow acieve this automatically and the RV tanks have a bleed valve so you can check the 80% level.

so when it comes to testing how do you go on with a gaslow bottle.

calor may test a selection of bottles but you dont return your gaslow for filling/ testing......

how many gaslow users return their bottle once in a while for testing ?

probably none :RollEyes:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
you have to realise that gas bottles are only used at a very low pressure approx 10 bar , about the same as a truck tyre made of rubber and fabric .....that's why you can now have plastic ones !

they in fact have to be able to operated at 15 bar .....and their test pressure [ don't know about the plastic ones ] is 30 bar !

so don't worry about it too much ; I have had a lpg tank on a vehicle inspected at 30 years old ....good as new

a couple have of times I have been permitted into a gas bottle refilling plant ; one thing they had in common was ...no inspection at all ; no doubt if they were obviously bent or the paint was non existant they would get put on one side , but I didn't actually see that happen

some years ago there was a camp site just north of vinaroz , if you approached from the north you had to make a spanish left ; a british first timer in a hymer A class wanted to go there and just made a standard left ....tragically a van approaching from the other direction didn't realise he was going to make an illegal turn which was also too late , and T boned him on the gas bottle ; both passengers in the van were killed ...the bottle was severely squashed but it didn't even leak ; that's strong

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hello as anyone yet tried this new adaptor off ebay ? that you use to fill empty gas bottles at the LPG pump at the petrol station ? thanks keith

I N C O M I N G !

A regular on all forums and it doesn't half stir 'em on the safety issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
The only bottle I would ever consider filling is the BP gaslite - you can actually see the gas level inside and you could mark the safe level for future use - maybe I am a coward but I dont like things that go bang and I saw an Oxygen bottle blow once - not a pretty sight:ROFLMAO:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
you are comparing apples and pears , lpg is low pressure and oxygen is high pressure

and personally I would rather trust an officially approved and tested lpg pump than a line on a bottle ; I know it means you need to know your 2 times table but I can still cope with that personally

Last edited:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
The only bottle I would ever consider filling is the BP gaslite - you can actually see the gas level inside and you could mark the safe level for future use - maybe I am a coward but I dont like things that go bang and I saw an Oxygen bottle blow once - not a pretty sight:ROFLMAO:

But where would you get an adapter? They look like the butane type connection.:cry:

If they were available then I'd love to use one and then I'd only need to carry 1 bottle most of the time.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Q THE WILDMAN:ROFLMAO:

But remember not all members have been posting for a long time.

heres my two pence worth,, get a gaslow, morre dosh but worth the hassle/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But where would you get an adapter? They look like the butane type connection.:cry:

If they were available then I'd love to use one and then I'd only need to carry 1 bottle most of the time.

from an other thread: posted by Landy lover

Try Gaslow - home product codes 01-1673 and 01-1673T both these are high pressure adaptors to fit BP gaslite the thread should screw on to UK standard Butane worth buying a bag or two of the spare sealing washers at the same time they do not last too long when being reused. The fitting clips on to the top of the cylinder and the lever opens the valve in the top of the bottle. Most caravan/motorhome outlets stock these now.

just checked , you would also need a Propane to Butane adapter

jim

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
from an other thread: posted by Landy lover

just checked , you would also need a Propane to Butane adapter

jim

Yes Jim, that's the problem and I'd love to find a way around it.:Sad:

I don't think there is an on off valve on the bottle and I'm not sure that you'd be able to fill it through the valve on the butane type connector. Problems problems, I'll just have to stick to blowing up vans and filling stations I guess!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Derek .. check this Gaslow product No 01-4330

would this plus the bottle adapter not do the job ?

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 11

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Propane to Gaslow Jim, propane to butane is what I think is needed.

Assuming of course that the B.P. gaslight is using a standard butane regulator.

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
:thumb:

I don't think there is an on off valve on the bottle and I'm not sure that you'd be able to fill it through the valve on the butane type connector. Problems problems, I'll just have to stick to blowing up vans and filling stations I guess!

The valve is in the bottle fitting and is operated by the Gaslow Fitting - The fitting has a lever on the back that has three positions - horizontal is off - vertical is on - horizontal and push in is to remove the fitting - Gaslow do a range of stainless steel pipes and adaptors to suit most needs all have the 'Butane' end which fits all there bottle adaptors and there is a range of other adaptors to suit for the other end - personally I think their quality and adapability is fantastic.:thumb:

Thanks JIm - save me a lot of writing :thumb::thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I have a spare butane pigtail so all I would need is my adapter and something to accept a propane male leading into a butane connector. The gaslow connector would suit if they could be connected somehow. :helpsos:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Q THE WILDMAN:ROFLMAO:

But remember not all members have been posting for a long time.

heres my two pence worth,, get a gaslow, morre dosh but worth the hassle/

HASSEL?????? HEARD/ read LOTS OF POSTS ABOUT LEAKING GASLOW pigtails etc,:Eeek::whatthe::Eeek: never seen any on the filling adapter leaking :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
This will run as long as the 'gassing on aires' does!!!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
you are comparing apples and pears , lpg is low pressure and oxygen is high pressure

and personally I would rather trust an officially approved and tested lpg pump than a line on a bottle ; I know it means you need to know your 2 times table but I can still cope with that personally

Totally agree but have you been near a lorry tyre at 110 psi when it goes bang - it still hurts - anyone filling a container with a pressurised liquid that gasses needs to be aware that there is some considerable danger attached to that especially when using what is in effect unapproved systems that could affect their insurance in event of a disaster . Having said that everyone has to assess their own needs and risks IMO the risk of filling a bottle that has no means of accurately assessing the 80% fill is unacceptable filling one that you can assess is perfectly acceptable hence my suggestion that the BP Gaslite bottle which allows you to see the fluid level is a good option.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the risk of filling a bottle that has no means of accurately assessing the 80% fill is unacceptable filling one that you can assess is perfectly acceptable hence my suggestion that the BP Gaslite bottle which allows you to see the fluid level is a good option.

Totally agree landy,

when you first 'buy' a new 'gaslight' bottle simply mark the level with a permenant marker pen and just refill to that level and no more.
cant go far wrong then.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'v never filled anything with lpg but i thought it was a completely hands free operation......connect to pump, enter amount required and push delivery button.
pump turns off when amount reached or container is full.

am i wrong ? (probably:Blush:)

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
nope , just like other normal fuel pumps , no preset

wouldn't use one if there was .....if I made an error I might overfill , better to watch the gauge and stop at the required amount

don't forget the gas factories use the weight/volume method because it is the safest method far more precise and much less dangerous than using a device that SHOULD cut off at 80%

when a gas factory fills a bottle it MUST contain the volume stated under the sale of goods act
when a lpg pump delivers at a filling station it MUST deliver the stated volume

as I know from my own experience the 80% cut out devices are only approximate
I prefer the precise and therefore safer method

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
for filling the butane bottles .i use a butane clip on to old threaded type adaptor. i am then left with the continental thread i took a propane bulk head fixing and had a machined brass bit made that can take the correct lefthand thread nut .(taken from an old reg. it also as the rubber seal. )this then takes our uk propane pol fitting .
i also have spanish clip on top left hand butane thread i have also an other one for some italian or an odd english, 20mm and 21mm and i think spanish is 27mm clip on.
i would like to say i can fill every bottle but sure someone comes up with another one.
i do have some spare machined bits if our paths cross and you need one .the bulk head fixings can be giot from BES. on google.i remove their threaded bit and screw in mine.
i have also had a discussion with one of the makers of the adaptors he said he as never been asked for one but could makeone if the demand increased. reimo used to list all the bits in their catalogue.either to fill german bottles outside germany or convert other bottles to suit german regulators.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nope , just like other normal fuel pumps , no preset

i know you dont hold the filler nozzle, i can imagine it gets a bit chilly, so you must have to keep the 'delivery' button pressed and release when you have what you want.

correct ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
correct .just come back from filling 2 x 47 kg bottles .actually we put 80 litre in each. cost 52.9pence a ltr.neighbour trying out a fill up . think its something like 49p when they fill my big tank in garden. ley it nearly run out now .dont want a big bill just before leaving .ha ha.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
correct .just come back from filling 2 x 47 kg bottles .actually we put 80 litre in each. cost 52.9pence a ltr.neighbour trying out a fill up . think its something like 49p when they fill my big tank in garden. ley it nearly run out now .dont want a big bill just before leaving .ha ha.

probable price difference will be the vat.....5% on domestic fuel and 15% (for now) on road fuel.

garage forecourt pumps will be road fuel vat regardless of what you say its for.

bit like saying the 5ltrs i just put in the can is for my lawnmower, can i have some vat back.:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa ,how do i get 2 x47kg bottles in the gas locker?
may put one underneath .weld a nut on a side callit the top drillit and make an outlet. easy. couple of bungies to the chassis got me sen a time bomb. ha ha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back