Habitation door needs hefty slam (1 Viewer)

darlobob

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Northwich
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2013
The habitation door on my 2013 Flash 10 needs a hefty slam (very loud at night, and flyscreen comes loose) to close it properly because it is bowed. The dealer tells me they are all like that. Has anyone else had the problem? Is there a fix?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Have you tried adjusting the striker plate? My Chausson was the same. I spent a few minuets adjusting it and it now closes fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ours needs a hefty slam shut as well. I'm conscious of it at night as it's very loud. It's a 2013 Majestic 185. Will check it tomorrow and adjust if I can. Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Although not a Chausson, I'm another for the adjustment of the striker plate.

Our large habitation door can be quietly pushed shut, with only a tiny click to be heard, as the mechanism engages. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

darlobob

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Northwich
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2013
The dealer got a new door for another customer but it was just the same. The people who do my habitation service say there is no more adjustment on the striker plate. I don't know which way they wanted to move it but it seems to me you would let in a severe draught because of the bowing. I'll have another look myself.
Thanks for speedy replies.
Bob

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
On our 2014 Flash 10 it also has a bowed door, the handle bit sticks outwards more than the top and bottom of the door. I did adjust the striker plate a bit which improved it a little. If yours is same bow direction you might find that if you press hard onto the handle of the door when shutting it that it engages just as well as slamming it and a lot more quietly !!

PS, did you know if after locking the hab door from the outside with your key, if you remove the key with it horizontal it makes it impossible to open the door from the inside, ie like it's deadlocked ? Found that out by accident.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We had that on our Hymer, loose bolts on the hinges was the problem. Check those, they may look ok, but investigation with an Allen key may suggest otherwise.

Existedsteed1

Free Member
Nov 21, 2016
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530
Exp
Since 2016
The habitation door on my 2013 Flash 10 needs a hefty slam (very loud at night, and flyscreen comes loose) to close it properly because it is bowed. The dealer tells me they are all like that. Has anyone else had the problem? Is there a fix?

Existedsteed1

Free Member
Nov 21, 2016
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530
Exp
Since 2016
I took delivery of my new Chausson 530 two weeks ago - The habitation door only closes too after an unnaturally hard slam (and usually after 2 or 3 attempts) it actually pains me to slam it so hard, but the door seals don't come together fully unless I go for it! I've reported this to the dealer who can only fit me in to look at the issue in late January 2017! The comment from them was "it probably needs a slight adjustment". I don't feel particularly good about leaving it so long, mainly because we are planning to get out and about in it most weekends. I suppose it is possible that I'm doing further damage. I plan to call the dealer again and request they look at it much sooner. Judging by the amount of similar posts, i imagine it must be a recognised fault!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This may not be relevant but it's worth a look. I've noticed of late that the hab door needs a good (noisy) slam to shut it properly and even then there's a gap at the bottom. Had the van at home to do some bits ready for annual service a couple of days ago and decided to strip the door to try and adjust the remote locking mechanism that is sticky and doesn't always operate properly.

Once all the tiny screws were out I noticed that both the top and bottom latching mechanisms on the door were loose - thinks, I didn't unscrew anything there! So finished stripping the door to find that the metal plate holding all the door mechanism was delaminating from the door itself. There doesn't seem to be any fixings as such, it just being bonded - yup, cheap Swift construction! Not having any Sikaflex (other bonding agents are available!) to hand I tried No More Nails which appears to do the same job and after letting it cure properly it seems to have done the trick, the locks are firm and once I'd put it all back together the door looks to shut much closer and without having to slam it. There didn't seem to be any way of using some form of mechanical (i.e. screws) attachment so we'll have to see how it goes.

And the remote door locking works better now, even though all I did was clean it and operate it free of load a couple of times. Mind, be careful when reconnecting the power cables - it will work both ways but if they're reversed, so is the operation i.e. "lock" becomes "unlock" and vice versa so central locking is wrong. Don't ask how I know..............:rolleyes:

Existedsteed1

Free Member
Nov 21, 2016
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530
Exp
Since 2016
Terry - One particular thing you just mentioned in passing is a special interest - The habitation door on my new Chausson doesn't lock with the remote, as the other doors do - I have to lock it separately with the key - I found this out by when returned to the MH after having left it unattended and "locked up" (not!) for about 4 hours - Tried the cab door and it opened without unsetting the alarm - So I thought this must be normal and by-design! I wonder if that is the case on the Chausson(?) - I must ask the dealer the question I suppose.

Thanks Terry!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
6 month old Chausson 515, similar issue with hab door. Not bowed, but closure isn't very positive and tends to need a bit of a slam

Going in for a few bits and pieces to be snagged (Elite at Banbury - who have been very good) - silly stuff like missing sink stoppers, replacement window surround, wobbling water pump (grommets need refixing). I will ask them about the door

The central locking/unlocking works well on all doors, so there's something wrong there

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Terry - One particular thing you just mentioned in passing is a special interest - The habitation door on my new Chausson doesn't lock with the remote, as the other doors do - I have to lock it separately with the key - I found this out by when returned to the MH after having left it unattended and "locked up" (not!) for about 4 hours - Tried the cab door and it opened without unsetting the alarm - So I thought this must be normal and by-design! I wonder if that is the case on the Chausson(?) - I must ask the dealer the question I suppose.

Thanks Terry!

Including hab door in the central locking wasn't always standard, but I'm pretty sure it is now. Think you've got another thing for them to look at.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
There is no central locking on the hab door of Flash 10s.

Existedsteed1

Free Member
Nov 21, 2016
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530
Exp
Since 2016
6 month old Chausson 515, similar issue with hab door. Not bowed, but closure isn't very positive and tends to need a bit of a slam

Going in for a few bits and pieces to be snagged (Elite at Banbury - who have been very good) - silly stuff like missing sink stoppers, replacement window surround, wobbling water pump (grommets need refixing). I will ask them about the door

The central locking/unlocking works well on all doors, so there's something wrong there

I also collected my new 530 from Elite of Banbury 3 weeks ago - Our snagging, including the stubborn Hab door, some carpet piping that's unraveling, and missing scatter cushions(!) and a sharp shard of metal on the bathroom tap handle! But overall - really happy so far!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I also collected my new 530 from Elite of Banbury 3 weeks ago - Our snagging, including the stubborn Hab door, some carpet piping that's unraveling, and missing scatter cushions(!) and a sharp shard of metal on the bathroom tap handle! But overall - really happy so far!
Have to say I was very impressed with Elite. No pressure, very helpful. Chausson do need to up their game with quality control, but I suspect they're all much the same. So far we've averaged 1,000 miles a month and thoroughly enjoying our new van

Existedsteed1

Free Member
Nov 21, 2016
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530
Exp
Since 2016
Have to say I was very impressed with Elite. No pressure, very helpful. Chausson do need to up their game with quality control, but I suspect they're all much the same. So far we've averaged 1,000 miles a month and thoroughly enjoying our new van

We've done 300 miles in 2 weekends in Gloucs and Wilts (Cant wait for Friday nights now and escaping the office!) I'll be having to up the 6000 mile annual allowance on my insurance if this carries on!

Existedsteed1

Free Member
Nov 21, 2016
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530
Exp
Since 2016
We've done 300 miles in 2 weekends in Gloucs and Wilts (Cant wait for Friday nights now and escaping the office!) I'll be having to up the 6000 mile annual allowance on my insurance if this carries on!
re:- quality control, yes agree. We looked at a Rapido and an Auto-sleeper before we opted for the Chausson and they were a cut above - but a lot more money too....You pays your money and takes your choice, I suppose!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Is there a fix?
Had the very same trouble with our Hymer last year. Went out late to the loo, came back, and the door wouldn't shut properly. Couldnt work it out. After about ten 'SLAMS', the wife pointed out that the dogs tail seemed about four inches shorter then normal.........:cry::cry::cry:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We've had no real problems to be honest. There is a side panel by the passenger door where the graphic needs replacing, and Elite have managed to get a replacement panel from Chausson, the sunk bungs are missing, and a few bits and pieces, but it's going in on 5th. Paul is very good, and I'm really pleased with them as dealers.

Our first overnight trip was to Portugal via Spain, we kind of jumped in feet first. After 5 months out there we're really just back for the snagging and we'll then do a few family visits to Wales and Edinburgh. As we live most of the year out in Portugal, the van was more for touring, and it's worked out really well for us (longer stay on the road was 5 days). Next year we're planning to take it back out and explore Spain, as I love driving it.

On the quality side, Chausson are pretty much mid range. You get a lot of van for your money, we didn't need a 1 m "garage" with a massive overhang, so I can live with a bit of snagging here and there

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Had the very same trouble with our Hymer last year. Went out late to the loo, came back, and the door wouldn't shut properly. Couldnt work it out. After about ten 'SLAMS', the wife pointed out that the dogs tail seemed about four inches shorter then normal.........:cry::cry::cry:
:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back