Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
I want to buy a moisture meter for my MH. However selecting one appropriate for the purpose is a bit of a minefield. (I want to be able to check for damp whenever I want, and not have to rely on a yearly hab check). I know that prices start very low (£10 - is this type "mickey mouse"?) and go up to almost anything you want to pay (several hundred).
I also know that Protimeter make a non intrusive (no pin holes left behind) meter for about £200, but their Protimeter mini (the one with probes) costs about £119 ex vat.
What Im trying to establish is:
Whats the most reliable meter to get, and how much should I be spending on one.
Invasive versus non invasive type - any ideas
Any further info I should know.

Any help/info would be gratefully recieved
Cheers
Martin

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I think I paid about £20 for mine - pretty basic in so far a it using moisture to form a conductor between two points and although they come to a point - you do not need to actually puncture the surface - only hold it firmly with the two probes in place. indication is by noise and you soon get a good idea of what it is reading when the sound level and volume increase - check it against say wet paper, damp paper and dry paper and you can soon get the hang of it - I dont think it is important to know what percentage of moisture you have only that you have it and would rather not have it :thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I think there is too much worrying about moisture in new morothomes, if you are worried consider spending the money on a dehumidifier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think there is too much worrying about moisture in new morothomes, if you are worried consider spending the money on a dehumidifier.

Sorry Ralph , but I disagree ,

Unless it's damp from sources within the van..ie , bodies, cooking etc. otherwise it must be coming from somewhere.. better to find the cause than treat the symptoms ..

To answer the OP's question.. cheap and cheerful is all you need to detect damp..

jim

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User

Trouble with a dehumidifier is it will pull in moisture from the outside unless , unless everything is sealed .The other problem is , if it is completely air tight the dehumidifier will draw moisture from wherever it can until everything is absolutely bone dry , and what happens then is things start to crack timber etc.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I got one in Aldi in the "cheapie" bin for half price about £8 if my memory works better than usual. BTW the % of moisture is relevant, again from memory anything below 20% can be ignored above that needs to be investigated. :Smile:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
I got one in Aldi in the "cheapie" bin for half price about £8 if my memory works better than usual. BTW the % of moisture is relevant, again from memory anything below 20% can be ignored above that needs to be investigated. :Smile:

FINBY (and me too) would like the MAKE of a damp meter and where to get one:Doh:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
FINBY (and me too) would like the MAKE of a damp meter and where to get one:Doh:

Hi this is the one that I got from Aldi. Seems well made and works OK. There is some info about it in the link.

HomeNetProducts.co.uk - Admin

Can't help on where to get one try the web site. :Smile:

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
If you are serious about finding any damp in your van then you need to pay at least £200 for the right one. The cheaper ones will only find it when the percentage of damp is extremely high and by then it will be too late just to reseal any joints.
A few years ago I part exchanged a Caravan for a motorhome and I tested the van before I took it to the dealers and there were no signs of any damp. They tested it in my presence and the machine went balistic with the result that £1000 was knocked of the previously agreed part exchange price.

Mike

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
A few years ago I part exchanged a Caravan for a motorhome and I tested the van before I took it to the dealers and there were no signs of any damp. They tested it in my presence and the machine went balistic with the result that £1000 was knocked of the previously agreed part exchange price.

Mike

Mine does that if you press the test button at the same time as you do a test - worried the life out of the missus until I explained

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you are serious about finding any damp in your van then you need to pay at least £200 for the right one. The cheaper ones will only find it when the percentage of damp is extremely high and by then it will be too late just to reseal any joints.

Mike

Up to 20% is regarded as perfectly normal as virtually all materials have some water content. A cheap meter will detect this no problem ..

I'm not suggesting you were 'done' but some unscrupulous dealers will use readings of 10-15% to knock down the price allowed.

In reality this is fraud so complain to your local trading standards office if this happens.

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Up to 20% is regarded as perfectly normal as virtually all materials have some water content. A cheap meter will detect this no problem ..

I'm not suggesting you were 'done' but some unscrupulous dealers will use readings of 10-15% to knock down the price allowed.

In reality this is fraud so complain to your local trading standards office if this happens.

I can assure you that I was not done as I also used the meter myself, anyway if you believe that a cheap meter will do the job, which it will not, then carry on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back