Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Charvil, Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute 736
Exp
Waiting Delivery April 2016
We have a six year old Labradoodle called Molly who always goes everywhere with us. She jumps into the hatchback of our cars without any problem whatsoever excited to see where we are going. During the journey she sometimes pops up to look but most of the time she remains curled up asleep.

Last week we went away for the first time in our first motorhome and Molly was so frightened she was shaking. Eventually we had to stop so my Wife Kathy could go back and strap into one of the travelling seats to sit with her and try to calm her.While we were away she had no problem sleeping in the motorhome and was happy to jump in and out cheekily even jumping up onto the seats but the stress on the return trip was no better. Why does she react so badly to the movement when she is so good in cars?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our Cocker Spaniel was the same, she's done thousands of miles in our cars with zero issues - we think it was the rattles & bumps in the MH - now she's done a few trips she's fine.

Hope yours will be too :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think it's the sheer size of the motorhome. If you think about it, a dog probably thinks of the motorhome as a room. Looks like a room, feels like a room, smells like a room - and then it moves, and it rattles as it does. One dog on its own is probably at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I think the reason I never had any problems with mine was because 2 dogs, 2 cats made their own pack and they just curled up together.

Try a travel gate, or some harness/restraint where she's close to you. And there was lots of advice on other thread as well.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Our youngest dog was the same the first time we took her out last year and now she travels better than the older dog. She now makes sure she is the first one in the motorhome when we go away.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Aaaw that's a shame for Molly. Maybe try putting in her dog bed from home so that it's familiar. The one thing not to do is pet the dog. Our trainer told us just to ignore the dig when he's scared otherwise they see it as being rewarded for being frightened.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi mike
always a worry
However I am sure she will adapt
stack lots of familier things around her
and then as she gets used to the van you can remove a few at a time
Kev

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ours loves it in the motorhome I suspect because he feels on of the gang rather than shut up in the back of the car travelled 300 miles on Tuesday no problem!!. Try stopping at Greggs next time for a pasty its his favourite bit of the journey!!

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We put our dog into a padded collapsible crate whilst travelling. She is more than happy to enter the crate of her own accord, but she never sleeps, and is laid down but always with her head up.

Once we are pitched up she settles down unless there are fireworks, or as recently happened, a numptie Funster decided to bang the van several times as he walked past. This did wonders for our already firework stressed dog. :swear2:

OP
OP
Mike W

Mike W

Free Member
Feb 4, 2016
Charvil, Reading, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute 736
Exp
Waiting Delivery April 2016
Things have moved on a bit now......

We have managed to do quite a few trips so far this year. Molly is still reluctant to get into the motorhome when we set off, and she doesn't really relax while we are moving, but now at least she has stopped the shaking which means that Kathy can ride up front with me.

We have had some amusing incidents. Once in Wales she made us and the other people on the small site we were on laugh by laying in the middle of the field as far away as possible while we packed up. It took several calls and the promise of a gravy bone to get her to join us!

Next trip is to Salisbury on the 24th for the Christmas Market.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We put our dog into a padded collapsible crate whilst travelling. She is more than happy to enter the crate of her own accord, but she never sleeps, and is laid down but always with her head up.

Once we are pitched up she settles down unless there are fireworks, or as recently happened, a numptie Funster decided to bang the van several times as he walked past. This did wonders for our already firework stressed dog. :swear2:

I have had a silly funster do that on my van in the past ... iriot. :( .. guess they are everywhere these days.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our terrier Murphy is nervous when in van we put a small cage in for him to travel in as it makes him feel a bit more secure, but he is still restless has been for last four years, as soon as we stop he's up like a shot can't wait to see where we are but much like yours he's very reluctant to get back in.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Things have moved on a bit now......

We have managed to do quite a few trips so far this year. Molly is still reluctant to get into the motorhome when we set off, and she doesn't really relax while we are moving, but now at least she has stopped the shaking which means that Kathy can ride up front with me.

We have had some amusing incidents. Once in Wales she made us and the other people on the small site we were on laugh by laying in the middle of the field as far away as possible while we packed up. It took several calls and the promise of a gravy bone to get her to join us!

Next trip is to Salisbury on the 24th for the Christmas Market.
I have every sympathy, our Springer is the same. We usually have to go pick her up and put her in the MoHo when setting off. I agree with Hollyberry, the noise in the back of the MoHo is greater than I expected, even with everything "padded" to reduce the rattling.
Still doesn't really settle when travelling, 4 years now, but enjoys all other aspects of our travels.
Doesn't seem to affect her in any other way so we have had to give up worrying, or try to
Chris

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
No expert (mine haven't travelled in my, currently being converted, van yet) but lots of experience of retired greyhounds who associate vehicles with bad things. Things I'd try:

Building an insulated frame around the crate or bed. Those foam floor squares built as a cube or thick carpet would block out a lot of the rattles and also create a more car like environment.

a treat feeder in there. If very stressed they'll not be interested in it, but when slightly less stressed they might. Settle into the van eating from feeder before beginning journey. Eg a Kong with something extra special, or a kitchen roll inner with fish biscuits - or if you're my two a kitchen roll ...

ADAPTIL (pheromone) spray throughout the van and especially in their bed. If on hook up you could use a diffuser, if not the spray is same stuff.

Lots of short journeys to local and positive places - with my Berty Boo greyhoudn, who hated the car, he and I would make a weekly trip to the chippy, he'd have a fish I'd have the chips, whilst sat in the boot of the car.

Calm reassuring confidence from yourselves. They look to us for cues as to what to think of situations, don't totally ignore the fear but let them see that you're not afraid.

One word of caution, the no longer trembling might not be as positive as it appears, sometimes it reflects resignation to the fear whilst still being just as afraid.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Labrador ( who sadly died a few weeks ago) hated travelling in the car and was very anxious in the motorhome, wanting to be as close to us as possible when we were driving. The only way she would settle is if she was lying between the front seats between us, and we accepted this was the only way we were all going to travel together. Our other dog, ( a beagle) travels in his bed in the front passenger footwell and as he is the only dog now, we can move his bed across a little so Mrs A finally has room for her feet.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Would it help to go on the van when at home, take the dog and have a cuppa so they get more familiar with it?

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
We have a retired greyhound and she loves cars, vans whatever. As soon as I open the MH door, she's in like a shot, on the sofas and settled. When travelling she lays between the front seats but slightly behind on her soft bed and only moves to stretch out further. She has a harness and lead on which is fixed round the passenger seat arm but is not restrained. I think that generally greyhounds are used to travelling as they go from Kennels to race track backwards and forwards from the time they are only a few months old. We would NEVER leave her in the van on her own. Although she has never barked, she gets very stressed if left so like a child we wouldn't dream of leaving her.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
There was a thread last year suggesting an antihystamine tablet which allowed our 9yo lab to be relaxed enough to travel. Prior to that she was shaking uncontrollably as soon as the van started and we could not take her anywhere.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I've had Reg (Springer) 9 months now and we must have travelled about 6K miles in the campervan. He's 8 years old. He loves the van and jumps into it readily and is fine "living" in it. He doesn't mind the engine being run (in winter to charge batteries up a bit).
However as soon as it starts to move he gets upset, crying, panting and won't settle. I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. He's the same in the car, but oddly is fine on buses and in other people's vans. I do drive very carefully round bends! He gets calmer at steady speeds over 55 mph but as soon as I slow for roadworks etc he's off again.
Giving him something to chew on seems to calm him - but he can get through a pig's ear or a goat's ear before I've even got off the drive, they say not to give rawhide chews and hard bones aren't recommended for dogs over 8 because they could damage their teeth (and he had to have one out last year).
It upsets me when he's upset, so it's probably a viscious circle.
Maybe I will try the anti-histamines next time.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Would this make her feel likehome?
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-carry-dog.html

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete had a springer pup years ago, wanting to train her to the gun. Unfortunately - she was carsick every time he tried to take her anywhere. Hopeless... so he tried all the recommended things, feeding her in it and all that jazz - nope. They were all going on holiday soon taking the caravan, so there they all were in his Range Rover towing the caravan down to Devon - he and the first Mrs C in the front, His mam and their two daughters in the back with the Megan the springer bitch pup and and Flint the lurcher dog behind them. They got on really well at home so not too bad.

His mam said a bit later when they were halfway down the M5 , Megan's got a most odd look on her face, Pete - stary eyes. I hope she isn't going to be sick... Should be replied her son, I took her to the vet and he gave her something. Oh what was it? asked mam. Largactyl replied he. Oooh said mam They gave your dad that when he was suffering (he died of pancreatic cancer) - he didn't like it, said it gave him hallucinations ....

Just on it, all hell breaks loose behind her. Pete looks in the rear view and Meggy has gone for Flint - poor ole Flint - he didn't know what to do except growl and bark and try and fend her off in the confined space - he was a lover, man - not a fighter - and never reacted to such things, he walked away. Or tried to. So Sandra had to climb over the backs of both sets of seats to physically part them - and Meg then crashed out. Flint was Ok too.

Had their holiday, NP. Came back in the car, NP. Never ever car sick again !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back