Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
A bit of advice please.

Having never bought a motorhome before, how much would you expect to haggle on price of a dealer's secondhand motorhome?

I am interested in one about £25k and do not have anything to part exchange.

Appreciate every vehicle/dealer is different but any advice would be welcome

Garry

S

stagman

Deleted User
A bit of advice please.

Having never bought a motorhome before, how much would you expect to haggle on price of a dealer's secondhand motorhome?

I am interested in one about £25k and do not have anything to part exchange.

Appreciate every vehicle/dealer is different but any advice would be welcome

I have been told from a very good source that a dealer will put £5,000 on to the price of a px van . Therefore he probabally would have allowed £20,000 on the van you have in mind . So realistically he may knock 2-3k off . But remember try for 6-12 months tax , warranty , and any other bits and bobs you need , hook up cable , ramps etc. :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I myself dont like haggling. Normally I will pay the price thats asked. If I were out buying a mh I would offer the price that I thought was fair. If it wasn't good enough, go elswhere but wont haggle.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
At the moment secondhand vehicles are in such short supply dealers are paying silly money for them. They also seem to want part exchange deals so that they will have a vehicle to sell. Even new vehicles are on back order and in my case for example the waiting list is so long I have to wait 8 months for my new vehicle to arrive.

What I'm leading up to is the fact that it is a sellers market at the moment meaning that great deals on secondhand vehicles are difficult to achieve.

That does not answer your question I know but I think you might be better off trying to negotiate extras rather than a cash discount.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
As Monty Python said in the Life of Brian "You've got to haggle!"

I always try to haggle. Decide what you want to pay and haggle but start at a lower figure than you want to pay. You will nearly always get some money off. I even did it in Comet once for a washing machine. Got £100 off because I told them Id seen a similar model for £100 less round the corner. Do it with mobile companies every year or two and even managed to get a reduction on a holiday to Tenerife last Christmas / New year although this was directly with the owners not an agent.

I understand that some people are uncomfortable with haggling but I quite enjoy it.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
haggle

i'm with stagman on this one most dealers will make at least 5k on a secondhand van.
so haggle if you see what you want.
there are hundreds of seconhand motorhomes for sale.
look on autotraders website.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I feel that in the current position re sales of motorhomes you are far better going for goodies, tax etc. dealers seem far happier to oblige in this respect. If you can't get anything then be prepared to walk, there is always another van.

Dave

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi i would haggle all the time but i find as long as your not cheeky about it the salesman will want to do a deal dont pay first price he asks for and dont get over excited in front of him as he will know you want van.

Good luck and happy haggling

Gerry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As Monty Python said in the Life of Brian "You've got to haggle!"

I understand that some people are uncomfortable with haggling but I quite enjoy it.

I just cant be bothered, in fact it really gets me down. For anybody who thinks its worth it then fine, haggle away.

I dont have money to burn but I think I know a fair price when I see one.

Strangley, Ive found that the less I haggle the more persistant the seller is and will often drop the asking price sraight away.

My daughter in law is the worst. She will haggle over the cost of the morning newspaper. I dont think she ever pays the asking price for anything. (Now thats embarrasing) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim
:RollEyes:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm certainly of the mind that the dealer has a windscreen price, and a selling price, and I'd guess that on 25K, the margin would be around 3K.

As a cash buyer, you be at an advantage, and I certainly wouldn't consider offering the full price.

If you don't ask, you don't get, so go for it.

I'd also be looking for some free goodies - particularly a wind out awning if one isn't already fitted.

Good hunting.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Know EXACTLY what you want - never shop aimlessly for such a large purchase. If the dealer starts steering you away from what you want, no matter how good his reasoning sounds. Tell them you are not interested and continue to negotiate for the vehicle you want.

People worry about haggling IF YOU DON'T ASK YOU DON'T GET! Look the saleperson in the eye and ask for a discount, they are expecting you to do that! They will secretly think what a plonker you are if you don't!

On your 25k MH i would offer 19k- No matter how dismissive they are do not be dissuaded. If you can build a little rapport with salesperson that is good. remember that asking for a discount won't sound insulting as long as you are not blunt or aggressive; that won't get you anywhere.

Get someone else involved, tell them, you would like it but your Mrs will go spare if you spend more than 19k. Ask them what can they do to help. At this point the sales person will probably try to steer you towards another motorhome. Let the salesperson know that you only want to purchase that particular motorhome.

Never, ever. ever, except the salesman's first offer, he will always have a more to give. Thank him for his offer but tell him it's still too much and your wife will still kill you! Don't be frightened of a little silence it's all part of the negotiation. Remember that the price you end up paying will be somewhere between what you first offer and the price in the windscreen so make sure your first offer is low.

Best of luck:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We had a budget of £20K back in May 08 and I wanted a Swift Kontiki 640. For that sort of money I could get one on a dealer forecort on a 95-97 plate. Problem was some of the dealers at that sort of price were not the best and some where real sharks. A lot of the vans I saw were quite ropey as well. what I did discover however was that the same van and year private was considerably less. In the end I bought a really good one private for £16250 and spend the rest of the budget on a scooter and rack and a satellite dome. I reckon if I sold it now I would get somewhere near what I paid for it. I still haggled as well!

OP
OP
MrJinks

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Thanks for all your views.

I am definately not a haggler ( I hate foreign markets where things are not priced) but would hate to think I could have got it a couple of grand cheaper if I had asked. Good to know that there may be a negotiable mark-up

Will go and view tomorrow so if we like it I will set Mrs Jinks on the poor salesman...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

:thanks:

Garry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
We bought our first motor home in April; I thought it would be like buying a car but bigger+ more expensive and that dealers would be falling over themselves to deal with us as first time buyers.
They weren’t most had a take it or leave it attitude, we travelled many miles all over the country to see vans that weren’t what was advertised or were disgusting. We only found about 3 dealers that we would have bought from had they have had our requirements, in the end we bought privately, but thats not without pitfalls, but there are companies who will do inspection reports on prospective purchase’s so it’s not as daunting as it seems.
If you do buy privately make sure you test EVERYTHING. If buying form a dealing get a warranty that will still be in force next year when you use the van, a 3 month warranty now is not worth too much (DEC JAN FEB) Shows are great to view lots of different vans, we spent ages looking for what we thought we wanted, only to dismiss it when we found one.
We were looking at van circa 30K I rang a few dealers pretending to want to sell the same van and was offer £20-£22k. They do need to make a profit to function and if you need hand holding it’s the way to go, but research the dealer as much as the motor home
Layout layout layout ,it must come first, its expensive to change if you make a error

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back