caz

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Have spent a whole afternoon trying to help a French couple with their new drive away awning. None of us had used one before and they didnt speak English - needless to say, we dont speak French.
The instructions were a complete waste of time. We eventually managed to put it together but then what???? We were left with a large flap with holes along the bottom of it and flaps down the sides. Do we put the flap onto the roof of the motorhome and throw ropes over the room - what do we do with the flaps at the side.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated - they are hoping we will be able to help tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

caz

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Not sure of make but will check in the morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may get a better idea from this photo.

the flap goes over the top and the side flaps are pegged top the ground..

Attachments

• movelitexl_doors (Large).jpg
    movelitexl_doors (Large).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
C

caz

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks for this. I can see that the flap would go over roof - do we throw the ropes over the top.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Awning

The awning is clipped to a U shaped channel screwed to the side of the van, in our case the channel was at pull out awning level and about 7 feet long.
The edge of the awning has a rope insert, similar to a caravan awning and is inserted into a plastic strip about 7 feet long. The end view of the strip has two channels that allows the rope insert to be pulled through one channel and the other one to be clipped over the U shape on the side of the van.** The awning side is then pegged down to the ground almost under the side of the van to keep out the weather.To move off unclip the plastic strip from channel, less then a minute and your off.

** Imagine two C's back to back welded & feet long. The channel is U shape one side of the U screwed to the van. All to be bought at the caravan shop.

Difficult to describe hope you overcome your problem.
Ron

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
years ago in the days of van conversions ruled .a driveaway was like a frame tentwith a joining peice you clipped on to the gutter of the camper. with the h section op mentioned. you may have had side peices to stop wind entering the closed area. harrison were a big favourite.

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
awning

The awning looks like a movelight xl same as mine like the posts above say either throw the orange tapes over or attach using the figure of 8 to rail by the way if you put a few twists in the tapes they dont whip so much when its windy

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Throwing ropes over the roof and pegging down doesn't work well if you have a pull out awning .. and it also looks blooming awful.. .. I fitted an awning rail .. :thumb:

As you can see, it fits snugly with no gaps down the side of the RV ..

Link Removed

Last edited:

JAY KAY

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Shotgate, Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
15+
We have used a drive-away awning for a few years now and we attach three cords to the flap and throw them over the roof, we then attach them to bungy cords which clip to the under side of the valance. This method keeps the flap fairly tight but also gives me a bit of leeway when reversing back onto the pitch and with my reversing skills I might make it into The Red Arrows next year. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope that wasnt taken this afternoon Jim. :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have used a drive-away awning for a few years now and we attach three cords to the flap and throw them over the roof, we then attach them to bungy cords which clip to the under side of the valance. This method keeps the flap fairly tight but also gives me a bit of leeway when reversing back onto the pitch and with my reversing skills I might make it into The Red Arrows next year. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
John

only if you change your name to JOAN and wear a dress....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
awning

ScotJimLand did the door catch on the canopy looks steep, In your picture the van looks a lot higher than my old autosleeper and it used to catch the canopy everytine i opened the door

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ScotJimLand did the door catch on the canopy looks steep, In your picture the van looks a lot higher than my old autosleeper and it used to catch the canopy everytine i opened the door

Hi

I set the rail at the maximum height that the awning could accommodate .. the door is about 12" lower than the rail and just clears the fabric when opened.

you can see the gap in this picture

Link Removed

jim

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
drive away

:Doh:I had one of those probably the wrong one for my coach build I had at the time I tried the awning rail and the throw over straps but I could not get a satisfactory fit it always caught the door top, and just looked a mess, I solved it by selling and buying a different type. Pete :Doh:

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
awning

Thanks for that Jim one came with my pilote not tried it yet but I think I will have same prob. as only about 9 inches between door and wind out

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Alternatively.

If your roll out awning has a channel along the front you need a strip of double sided beading.

One side goes into this channel and the other takes the figure-of-eight sections and these in turn accept the beading on the driveaway awning. You wont get a perfect seal to the van sides but it does keep the weather off the door. The awning should have its own zip up doors at the rear to keep it cosy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may get a better idea from this photo.

the flap goes over the top and the side flaps are pegged top the ground..

an even better idea from this photo.

without an awning you will get a good fit down the sides but an awning will cause a gap at the top tapering down to the bottom.

Attachments

• awning.jpg
    awning.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back