Wales - Pembrokeshire Coastal Path (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I’m looking to do a bit of semi-strenuous walking next year and the Pembrokeshire Coast Path National Trail, in conjunction with the Coastal Bus Service, looks like an ideal place to stretch the calf muscles and reduce my girth.

186 miles in length but with the hail and ride bus service along the coast road it appears to be feasible without using 2 vehicles or backtracking the path.

Walk for the day, bus back to starting point, drive to next overnight spot along the path route and repeat (or say “Sod it”, that’s enough!).

But, being Wales, I will definitely need a Plan B – I really wouldn’t be overjoyed trudging along in wind and rain.

So, anyone done it?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have done bits of it in South Pembrokeshire.

I would be a little bit wary of the hop on hop off bus service because I suspect it isn't very regular.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I have done bits of it in South Pembrokeshire.

I would be a little bit wary of the hop on hop off bus service because I suspect it isn't very regular.

Thanks. Their website says 7 days a week, May to September.
I wouldn't be doing it until June so plenty of time to check out the service reliability

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks. Their website says 7 days a week, May to September.
I wouldn't be doing it until June so plenty of time to check out the service reliability

Yes it is 7 days a week, but I meant I am not sure how often the bus actually runs during the day so there might be a long time between hopping off and hopping back on.

Stunning scenery though. Some sections of the coastpath are a bit of a challenge though.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks @Chris. Early days yet. I've just started looking at this as a possibility and a loooooong winter ahead to check out all the pieces of the jigsaw to see if they fit together.
There's so much info available on-line, I find the research is half the fun of the trip.
On this trip I'm also planning to realise a 50 year old wish/promise, to pay my respects at the Aberfan cemetery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Shirley has walked the whole of the Welsh Coast from near Barmouth to Chepstow, she did it a few years ago with my brother in law, but one thing they did learn very quickly was to park up at the finish point, then get the bus to the start point and walk back to the car.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Shirley has walked the whole of the Welsh Coast from near Barmouth to Chepstow, she did it a few years ago with my brother in law, but one thing they did learn very quickly was to park up at the finish point, then get the bus to the start point and walk back to the car.
Cheers
Ed

That sounds very much like wise words - thanks.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Hi. If you haven't already, get yourself ordnance survey leisure maps for you intended route=they will be invaluable to your safety and enjoyment. Also be sure to consider what safety equipment you may need. A smartphone if you have one with a gps app. will(depending on reception which varies) pinpoint your actual location and can be vital in an emergency. A reasonable first aid kit(and include a loud whistle to summon assistance) should also be on the list as the paths are very, very craggy/ steep/muddy in places depending on the weather, which can change in an instant. Lightweight, breathable, quality waterproof clothing is a must too. A good pair of binoculars and camera for the fantastic views, flora and fauna and your favourite walking boots. A 30 to 35 litre backpack will be sufficient to carry everything(a tiny gas stove is good for making a welcome cup of tea en route.) Walking there in June you will see lots of others doing the same but on occasions you will be completely alone. Occasionally, people do 'come a cropper' and its good to not only have your safety equipment but also to be able to help someone else. There are more things to consider, do your research well and do it right. Remember, its quite a task to take on so don't fail to prepare properly. Above all, enjoy the wonderful experience that you will never forget. Last time I did a similar walk, I took a telescopic walking pole and a large poncho-great for helping uphill or down and sudden rainstorms(which you can usually see coming from miles away) and I even used them as a makeshift 'teepee' for breaks in the journey. Have a great time and watch those pounds fall away hey?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Getting back to van is what has always concerned me about doing coastal paths as Im hopeless with buses, always just miss last one ! but parking at finish point and getting bus in morning to a start point seems like a good idea, just wish I'd thought of it !
Good advice on map and kit @sewinlynne2

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
As far as Pembrokeshire goes and as @Jill says, there are coastal bus services( they are very local services e.g. Cardigan area has 'Poppit rocket' St. Davids has 'Puffin bus' etc.) Other counties on any intended route on the coastal path run similar schemes. Its up to individuals to look at these online resources and plan their trip. That can of course include parking/pitching in an area at the end of your intended route, getting the bus back to the start and walking back. They all tend to run infrequently if at all in winter but, between 1 and 2 hourly, daily in the summer.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We did some of the coastal path. Based ourselves at St David's and used the puffin bus service to either go out on a bus and walk or the other way. St David's seemed to be a good hub point for walking trips.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Jenben makes a very valid point too. You don't have to do a massive section of the coastal path all in one go. You could choose a section of it that you would like to visit say for instance from Nolton haven to St. Davids head, a walk of over 10 miles but with a nice break at roughly halfway at Solva. If that sounds easy, its not because the ground is rough, its not flat or straight; you might have high winds and or rain against you or it might be blisteringly hot weather. A lot depends on how far you might be comfortable walking at length, bearing in mind those possibles. A good plan B here might be(eg if you are overheated, blistered foot, twisted ankle, feeling slightly unwell etc.) would be to have planned, marked routes away from the path to the nearest road you can catch a bus back to base or wherever else! I would also consider the direction you might take. The route is south to north then turning west. If you were to go that way, you'd have the sun at your back until you turned west, where it would then be facing you, in your eyes. 1. Take sunglasses! and sun block! 2. Decide how much of the day you can stand squinting into the sun(or it might be rain!!) 3. Make your decisions and go for it!!

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
We do have dogs at home but I don't take them on such long hikes-the coastal paths are extremely dangerous for pets for obvious reasons-there have been many dogs lost to the sea and high cliffs over the years(chasing rabbits, balls etc.) so, if you are considering taking yours on a coastal path walk, be sure they are fitted with strong and secure harnesses and leads and try not to have them do too long a walk. As far as I know, the local buses do allow dogs but, you can always telephone the relevant council/bus company to make sure before you go. Hope that helps.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've planned (extensively) to walk it (unaided and camping) but Ive just never found the window of time required. Made harder for me by the lack of internet and even a regular phone signal on much of the route, something I can't do without for quite a while yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back