Air ride suspension (1 Viewer)

paddiesdad

Free Member
Apr 30, 2008
Funster No
Hi all,
I have a 1999 Hymer A Class motorhome which I generally find very good, except for the ride. This is rather harsh over all but the smoothest of roads and the body roll on roundabouts or cornering alarms my better half.
This all seems to scream out for air ride suspension, but before I go to the £400 + expense of installing the system, could anyone tell me if they've had such a problem and has air ride helped?
Cheers m'dears.
Peter:Smile:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I had air suspension aids fitted to the rear leaf springs of my MH at theShepton Mallet show earlier this year. Simple installation (foe them) with a gauge and air fill/deflate point at the drivers step. This allows a certain amount of "Levelling" on site by adjustment of the air in either side if required.
I have seen improvements in the ride, both on cornering and on the motorways etc, where the van is no longer deflected by large vehicles coming past.
Certailnly was a worthwhile investment from my point of view. :Smile:

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
hi peter
best 400 you will ever spend increaces road holding and improves cornering and you can use it to level the van on site.i use mine set at 35psi and carry a cheap tyre inflator to add or take out air and control left and right lift. it must add to your tyre life aswell
colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I had air suspension aids fitted to the rear leaf springs of my MH at theShepton Mallet show earlier this year. Simple installation (foe them) with a gauge and air fill/deflate point at the drivers step. This allows a certain amount of "Levelling" on site by adjustment of the air in either side if required.
I have seen improvements in the ride, both on cornering and on the motorways etc, where the van is no longer deflected by large vehicles coming past.
Certailnly was a worthwhile investment from my point of view. :Smile:

hi peter
best 400 you will ever spend increaces road holding and improves cornering and you can use it to level the van on site.i use mine set at 35psi and carry a cheap tyre inflator to add or take out air and control left and right lift. it must add to your tyre life aswell
colin

Concur with both of these. An immense improvement. We used GB Services in Honiton.

John

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi all,
I have a 1999 Hymer A Class motorhome which I generally find very good, except for the ride. This is rather harsh over all but the smoothest of roads and the body roll on roundabouts or cornering alarms my better half.
This all seems to scream out for air ride suspension, but before I go to the £400 + expense of installing the system, could anyone tell me if they've had such a problem and has air ride helped?
Cheers m'dears.
Peter:Smile:

Hi if you can DIY it is simple ,and you dont need the compressor , then check out Driverite website you should get all the kit delivered for just over £300.:thumb:

meggie

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
milford haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8y
i had it fitted at shepton by air ride on my roasatar 780 great improvement,
i carry a scooter on the back which i can add more air to levellthe van
money well spend:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Air Rides

Yes air rides are a great improvement to any van. I had air rides fitted about 9 years ago due to the need to carry a scooter on the rear, I find 40 psi does a good job and tends to force the front downwards on account of increased rear height.
My van is a CB with bed at the front which was removed and a storage area established to increase load on the front axle. After a number of goes of distributing the load I was able to get both axles in tune, with many weigh bridge tickets to prove.
Having looked at new vans a high proportion are low profiles and like the A Class have no loading facilities at the sharp end, so the carrying of a scooter on the rear would appear to me to be impossible.
Ron

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi, I had the same problem on my van and at 4.5 ton the standard suspension was struggling.
After experiencing the bolt on air bags dropping off I was reluctant to fit them again. Some long thinking and research saw me having AS Suspension Services at Warrington fit a full kit. Not cheap but a very good job and I am extremely satisfied. At last a reliable company, excellent service and the product does the job with an amazing difference to roadholding and cornering. The ride quality is now how it should have been if the manufacturers could build them properly.
Wiljoy:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back