Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
york
Funster No
MH
not sure ??? c?
Exp
6 months
as i said im a little green when it comes to camper vans and had not realised how they suffer condesation when used in colder weather ,so now realising that i have to remove all the mattreses when not in use i come to discover black stains on the under side ,

is there any product that will remove this without resorting to getting the vax on it?

as said never owned so much as a caravan before so still learing :Blush:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Have to say we dont move our cushions/mattresses out in between trips, couldnt if we wanted to and our van(5ver) is in storage inbetween trips Do you store the van at home if so get some heat and a dehumidifyer running in it, to dry it out properly
Make sure there is ventilation around and under the cushions/mattress when not in use.
No doubt someone will be along shortly with the same or similar motorhome that can give you advice.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i have to remove all the mattreses when not in use i come to discover black stains on the under side

We leave ours in. We do have a small (200W) heater on all winter. And internal silver screens.

Our mattress is on slats, I don't know if that makes a difference. The seats, on plain board don't seem a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We leave ours in. We do have a small (200W) heater on all winter. And internal silver screens.

Our mattress is on slats, I don't know if that makes a difference. The seats, on plain board don't seem a problem.

Very similar here no problem

and I don’t think the back marks come off

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I leave the rear roof vent open very slightly, I also leave the bathroom and wardrobe doors open, fridge and freezer doors left open on catch, also same as above.

John.

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Put sea salt in dishes around the van[4 should be enough] this will soak any moisyure in the air also as said leave most of the doorrs open too let air circulate as for matrees ,vax job,in winter prop it up so its not laying flat...bear in mind this was what we did in our static:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
as i said im a little green when it comes to camper vans and had not realised how they suffer condesation when used in colder weather ,so now realising that i have to remove all the mattreses when not in use i come to discover black stains on the under side ,

is there any product that will remove this without resorting to getting the vax on it?

as said never owned so much as a caravan before so still learing :Blush:

This is reply I gave to a previous thread to a fithwheeler.

Hi REX
This was a old trick caravaners used to do (I know it will not help on the large scale but it might help in some small corner or a out of the way spot, dashboard, in a cupboard, in a bedroom, toilet,) put some table salt in a container....the salt draws out the moisture from inside of the van...empty and replace..Salt is cheap enough...also they make a similar item over here in France you can buy from all the Supermarkets and Brico shops....it is a plastic container about 6" to a 9" cube with slots in the top and you put inside a sachet (most likely salt crystals inside, then change the sachet when full......(they also sell replacement sachets)........

YES the salt trick does work

there are many in france and at all prices and sizes....

These are some web sites that might help and explain what they look like and what to ask for in france (I would think they would have them in B&Q but just in case)

"+titre+"

"+titre+"

Absorbeur d'humidité - Comparer tous les prix de produits neufs et d'occasion

this a homemade somebody has made and put on the internet

Absorbeur d'humidité Ecolo fait maison ...par Miss Cookliquot - Cookliquot - Elodie Joy
I agree with other people (my work before I retired was Joiner/builder/and electrical ) and the most important part to combat damp is ventilation ...but the you loose all your heat as the condensation comes when it is cold, just try and strike a happy medium...it is easy to say but hard to do without loosing all your heat.....also the person that vented below his bed ..that is spot on .. To keep a circulation of air around your 5-er is crucial
Mel
This just something of YouTube

YouTube - eva dry video new

it was for a RV on you tube
Rex............. the beauty about the salt it does not need electric.....so if you are not on a site with electric or you need to save your batteries (not running a mains dehumidifier) or over winter to keep your van dry when not in use........use the salt method you will be surprised.........
Mel
__________Rex..........another tip you might need......before I retired we had flats and cottages we rented out........the only trouble was people never looked after them....one problem was the shower/bathroom even though they had fans in to remove condensation people would disconnect to save heat or not switch them on......so inside the shower cubicle you would have black mould forming around the edges.........I tried many products to combat this and none worked except one.........DETTOL anti bacterial MOULD & MILDEW remover....This is the Tops and works brilliant +++++ to remove but also as a preventive method +++

Also people would use the LPG bottle mobile heaters (so they only use what they could pay for) instead of using the heating supplied in the properties...now because they throw out a lot of water it does not take long for rooms to start to get black mould.....and you need something to prevent and remove

The Dettol, I also use over here in France to remove the green mould that forms on the out door vinyl canvas sun canopies...it works a treat, and again tried many products that are supposed to remove that does not ........the only trouble is I have to have the DETTOL imported from England as they do not sell the product over here..

The DETTOL is in a Lime green spray bottle....just becareful as it has a active bleach content in it

Hope that is some help to you
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi.....I have sent the threads I posted to Rex try putting the salt under the beds to help remove the moisture.....try useing the Dettol to get rid of the black marks ....I know it works on showers and canopies....just becareful as it as bleach in its make-up so have some warm soapy water to wash out...hope the items are not coloured ...so just try a small spot that is not seen....MEL

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this was the subject of a thread about a year ago....

the replies seemed to point to solid bed bases causing damp/mildew on the mattress/cushions as there is no air flow.

the solution was either drill a series of 2" holes in the base to let the mattress/cushions 'breath' or replace the solid base with open lathes.

:thumb:

kandave

Free Member
Aug 29, 2009
Northants
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
started 2009
moisture absorption

Hi, interested to see the problems with condensation as this will be our first winter.

I share the following in case it is of interest:

Link Removed

Keith

OP
OP
R

richyork

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
york
Funster No
MH
not sure ??? c?
Exp
6 months
main problem area was the over cab double bed as the part of the base that over hangs the cab is solid with no slats same with the top single bunk which has a base that is basically conti board and this has sufferd the same ,i think having some kind of heat in there must be a good idea ,ill try the vax and maybe see if theres a stain devil product that will get it off

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
This is reply I gave to a previous thread to a fithwheeler.

Hi REX
This was a old trick caravaners used to do (I know it will not help on the large scale but it might help in some small corner or a out of the way spot, dashboard, in a cupboard, in a bedroom, toilet,) put some table salt in a container....the salt draws out the moisture from inside of the van...empty and replace..Salt is cheap enough...also they make a similar item over here in France you can buy from all the Supermarkets and Brico shops....it is a plastic container about 6" to a 9" cube with slots in the top and you put inside a sachet (most likely salt crystals inside, then change the sachet when full......(they also sell replacement sachets)........

YES the salt trick does work

there are many in france and at all prices and sizes....

These are some web sites that might help and explain what they look like and what to ask for in france (I would think they would have them in B&Q but just in case)

"+titre+"

"+titre+"

Absorbeur d'humidité - Comparer tous les prix de produits neufs et d'occasion

this a homemade somebody has made and put on the internet

Absorbeur d'humidité Ecolo fait maison ...par Miss Cookliquot - Cookliquot - Elodie Joy
I agree with other people (my work before I retired was Joiner/builder/and electrical ) and the most important part to combat damp is ventilation ...but the you loose all your heat as the condensation comes when it is cold, just try and strike a happy medium...it is easy to say but hard to do without loosing all your heat.....also the person that vented below his bed ..that is spot on .. To keep a circulation of air around your 5-er is crucial
Mel
This just something of YouTube

it was for a RV on you tube
Rex............. the beauty about the salt it does not need electric.....so if you are not on a site with electric or you need to save your batteries (not running a mains dehumidifier) or over winter to keep your van dry when not in use........use the salt method you will be surprised.........
Mel
__________Rex..........another tip you might need......before I retired we had flats and cottages we rented out........the only trouble was people never looked after them....one problem was the shower/bathroom even though they had fans in to remove condensation people would disconnect to save heat or not switch them on......so inside the shower cubicle you would have black mould forming around the edges.........I tried many products to combat this and none worked except one.........DETTOL anti bacterial MOULD & MILDEW remover....This is the Tops and works brilliant +++++ to remove but also as a preventive method +++

Also people would use the LPG bottle mobile heaters (so they only use what they could pay for) instead of using the heating supplied in the properties...now because they throw out a lot of water it does not take long for rooms to start to get black mould.....and you need something to prevent and remove

The Dettol, I also use over here in France to remove the green mould that forms on the out door vinyl canvas sun canopies...it works a treat, and again tried many products that are supposed to remove that does not ........the only trouble is I have to have the DETTOL imported from England as they do not sell the product over here..

The DETTOL is in a Lime green spray bottle....just becareful as it has a active bleach content in it

Hope that is some help to you
Mel

I have re-done the links below for you
Mel

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma4rGb01C7g]YouTube - eva dry video new[/ame]

bazil750

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Ashford
Funster No
Exp
6 months
We are in the middle of a trip in a new van and discovered yesterday that the cushions on the bed in lounge area and also the matress over the cab by the roof wall are both wet with condensation in the mornings. we have been having heating on for the last few days and are concerned that if cant sort the problem while being in the van we will end up with mildew and mould. we can understand if the van was shut up for the winter but not sure if it was an issue with insulation or a common problem, the only people we have spoken to on sites dont seem to have a problem that they know about. Help!!

thestoneroller

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
Ok, here is what i know it might help,
Condensation is caused by the cold air on the outside walls of the van hitting the warm air on the inside walls, most houses have a cavity wall which lets air circulate between the cold and warm air so stopping condensation,vans do not have this cavity, so the only way to stop condensation in a m/h is to have your heating on by all means and keep warm but now here is the biggy you will need to keep open a window or vent to let the air circulate or turn the heating down,
if the inside temp is simular to the outside temp then you will not get condensation.
If the temps are simular then you will only get condensation on the windows which is normal.
I have learned this through years in the building trade, i hope this helps a little.

chris:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back