You don't see many of these!! (1 Viewer)

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

I came across this Setra motorhome at Avignon at the end of September. Looks to be sixties, or at a pinch, early seventies.

Definitely coachbuilt, and not a van conversion. Fiberglassand steel panels, and monocoque construction. It was in beautiful condition, and obviously well loved. The extremely large rack at the rear was carrying a full sized motorcycle. I'm afraid I can't say who converted it.

I've never seen such a huge casette awning:whatthe:

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0282-1.jpg

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
Very interesting. I believe that this is probably a converted motor coach.

Oddly, it doesn't have a 'habitation' door, does it? Explanation? I think that it is rear engined* and the entry / exit for coach passengers would have been via the 'nearside' front door. This basic design is from the mid-fifties but I think this is a slightly later model.

* see the small grill on the drivers side at the rear and the corner access panels.

EDIT: if you look here, there is one in the same livery: it could even be the same one in a former life.

Link Removed

Interesting .........

Harvey

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most used an aircooled motor .i think it is an early one .a friend of mine uses a 66 setra, you may have seen it around its got a version of picaso,s spanish civil war painting in the side and desert scene on the other. he took it to the states afew years ago. he said they were quite impressed but the police didnt like the artwork and moved him on a fair bit. there is a nice blue one travels spain and portugal everywinter. cheers alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Very interesting. I believe that this is probably a converted motor coach.

Oddly, it doesn't have a 'habitation' door, does it? Explanation? I think that it is rear engined* and the entry / exit for coach passengers would have been via the 'nearside' front door. This basic design is from the mid-fifties but I think this is a slightly later model.

* see the small grill on the drivers side at the rear and the corner access panels.

EDIT: if you look here, there is one in the same livery: it could even be the same one in a former life.

Link Removed

Interesting .........

Harvey

I think that you are quite right in supposing that this is a coach conversion. I still think however that this is a professional conversion on a coach body. It's just too good to be a one off, though I may of course be wrong.

When you look at this, and similar offerings from UK converters of the same era, there is absolutely no comparison in terms of style and build quality!!

Whatever it is, it's a real gem, and it'll probably still be around in 20 years time.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I Love those retro coaches, here are a couple of my favourites.

Link Removed

836.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I Love those retro coaches, here are a couple of my favourites.

and whats wrong with the red and white one at the bottom then.....not enough curves ?...:winky::roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with headlamps ike that i,m sure you would remembered. did you take any photos. we are all interested. cheers alan.:Eeek::shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back