Your Beer of the week (3 Viewers)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
As you probably know my hobby is beer, so how about just once a week we post about a beer we have had during the week (good, bad or indifferent beer or lager), not a your favourite beers but as I said, one you have had during the week.

Let me make a start, this week I have had a bottle of

Thwaites, Golden Wünder, England

It is supposed to be an Oktoberfest beer, 4.6% very pale yellow with a very thin head, slight sweet hop aroma, rather watery initial taste but with a bit of a citrus aftertaste. I found it to be very ordinary but not a bad beer.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'd like to take part Ralph but the only bottled beers I can drink are naturally conditioned ones. Any artificially carbonated drink (soft or alcoholic) gives me stomach pains. I think there are more hens' teeth on Tees-side than naturally conditioned beers :Sad:

Graham

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Abbot Ale

Abbot Ale - Perfect Real Ale

A fine brew, which not only goes back 1000 years in itself, but it has also been suggested (I do not know the evidence) that this ale is the closes recipe to what was believed to have been drunk 2000 years back.

On another note, back in 1982 I was a paramedic, and having sat for 90 minutes on the Hogs Back near Guildford on area cover, we returned to base in Godalming via the old A3 and the junction with Compton. As we came close to the junction where we would turn right off the A3, there before us was a very large canvas sided lorry, on its side, having turned over. It was a Newquay Steam Brew Beer Lorry, and the entire load was strewn across the road. 100's of bottles and amazingly the majority were not broken, laying on the road. We were quickly joined by the fire brigade, who started to clear the area up, as we took the driver to Hospital with luckily for him only a broken nose.

Less than 90 minutes after leaving the scene to go to the Hospital we went back past the place to go back to base........................

7 fire appliances, and LOTS of smiling firemen, and not one single bottle of Newquay Steam Brew Beer left on the road for anyone to see.

Probably the fastest clear up by the fire brigade ever.:winky:

Adge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Not just bottled beers, there are plenty of draught and bottle conditioned beers available, even around here on Teesside.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I drank 8 cans of Stella last night, does that count? Amazingly I havent got much of a hangover but dont stand behind me for long!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Brimstage brewery Trappers Hat, Wobbly Bob and my local is now serving Tim Taylors Landlord-mmm nice. When in Yorkshire my favourite is Riggwelter and Old Peculiar.:thumb:

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
John Smiths smooth served by a smiling bar maid. Nice frothy head (the beer) that clung to the inside of the glass till the last drop.

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
A nice long, cold pint of Leffe Blonde, on draft of course. Our local won't sell pints, so I have two halves in a pint glass!! Followed by a pint of Hobsons, a pint of Abbot and another leffe. MMMMM lovely. The foods good too. :thumb:

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Yes Blond Leffe is good, but the dark is even better.:thumb: There are more than 250 different beers overhere in Belgium. Most of them of the strong side. (Mort Subite is only 15%, stronger than wine :shout:)
Hopeless to stay sober in Belgium :Eeek:

and here are some of them Belgian Beers - a set on Flickr

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I will get back to you soon Graham

Thanks Ralph.

I go out with my mate once a week. At his local there is a choice of Tetley Imperial and John Smith's Smooth (neither of which I particularly like). My local has real Banks's Original but it's quality is variable and it's a bit too malty and under hopped for my taste.

Otherwise I drink cans of Boddingtons Draught because it uses nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide to give a head but I'd prefer to drink a similar strength, nice and hoppy, real beer :Smile:

We had a few days in Peterborough about 15/16 months ago and there happened to be a farmers market on where Tunnel Brewery had some of their beers for sale. I can certainly recommend the varieties they have around 3.8% to 4.2% :Smile:

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Had a Thwaites double century last night and a couple John Smiths today all OK ::bigsmile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Teribble night last night.

Wife dragged me to Sainsburys...........

4 for the price of 3 on...

BOTTLED BEER!:thumb:

So, 4 Thwaits Wainwright, recently discovered and quite awsome, 4 Fursty Ferret, a recent reaquantance and, mmmmmmmmmm!
2 Spitfire, 2 Blacksheep, 2 Oxford Gold and 2 Puddles County.

Apparently they are for the weekend, so I'll just have to manage with the Bank's bitter 'till then!

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
A friend of mine has a brewery in Burrough on the hill in Leicestershire, and he has just purchased and renovated the pub next door (was stag and hounds, now renamed GRANTS)

The beer he brews and sells in the pub are
Parish special bitter 3.9%
Parish farm gold 4.2%
Burrough bitter 4.8%
Poachers ale 6%
and the amazing Baz's bonce blower 12%

he is also in the guiness book of records for the strongest beer in the uk at 23% Vol

not bad aye

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
A friend of mine has a brewery in Burrough on the hill in Leicestershire, and he has just purchased and renovated the pub next door (was stag and hounds, now renamed GRANTS)

The beer he brews and sells in the pub are
Parish special bitter 3.9%
Parish farm gold 4.2%
Burrough bitter 4.8%
Poachers ale 6%

he is also in the guiness book of records for the strongest beer in the uk at 23% Vol

not bad aye

There isn't field out the back that would be suitable for a rally is there:ROFLMAO:?

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

not bad aye

Thats got to be one named after me then!! Tonight I am mostly drinking Martens Pils from Belgium. Hope I either get some work to do soon or I will become an Alcky:Smile:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I'm just having a drink of GOLIATH by Wychwood Brewery 4.2%, 99p from Home bargains, a very nice drink.

It states on the bottle A refreshing classic ruby bitter brewed to deliver a robust palate of rich satisfying malty flavours balanced with a moreish thirst quenching bitternes from styrian golding hops.

Very nice, Hic!

John.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I said its not about favourite beers, its about a beer you had this week and wanted to tell us about it.

if it aint one of my favorites i dont drink it....end of !!!!

cant see the point in paying £3 or £4 for a beer thats brewed in a rain butt with twigs and baler twine in it only to find it tastes like horse pee and i wasted my money....been there, done it, once!!!!!

chemical beers, consistant beers, way to go hardhat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back