vista (1 Viewer)

stevew451

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
county durham
Funster No
Exp
new
is this the worst computer poerating service ever made constant downloading takes ages to boot up and always trying to make windows add ons your prime operating services

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
is this the worst computer poerating service ever made constant downloading takes ages to boot up and always trying to make windows add ons your prime operating services

Totally agree! Absolutely SICK of updates EVERY SINGLE time I log on!:Angry:

OP
OP
S

stevew451

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
county durham
Funster No
Exp
new
yes jim that is true but not being a techno buff how can i tell what is important and what isnt ?? ita the same with norton have noticed when the software renewal time is coming up this thing also starts to play up its a funny old thing
coincedence or what

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
yes jim that is true but not being a techno buff how can i tell what is important and what isnt ?? ita the same with norton have noticed when the software renewal time is coming up this thing also starts to play up its a funny old thing
coincedence or what

Hi

I'm no techno buff either, in fact I use a Mac most of the time because I hate Windoze and can't get on with it.. however, IIRC the Windoze updates are usually marked, optional or important .. if unsure you can look at the update on the Windoze site to see what it's for..

jim

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
coincedence or what

Norton will slow your comp down,it uses a lot of memory to run,if you want to speed Vista up a bit,heres a site you can use that shows what you basically can turn off and dont need,www.blackviper.com:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yes jim that is true but not being a techno buff

So you can condemn Vista yet you are not a techno buff.

Norton does not enjoy a good reputation amongst the IT folk I know. Why would anyone use it when AVG is free ?

I've just spent days training a man on a PC controlled machine, he has a PC at home which from what he says he often just pulls the plug in frustration. He certainly tested me, I had to tie this PC down tighter than ever before because he did things I would not consider doing. I wasn't his fault, he was just experiment or blundering around depending on your point of view.

So the bottom line is Vista might not be the best thing ever installed but it gives me no trouble and people ( in general, not you personally ) are the ones that cause the problem, not the operating system.

So how can we help you ? There are quite a few IT people on here will help you. First dump Norton and get AVG Free - V9 is out and it has already had the FUN seal of approval.

Then turn off automatic upgrades.

Find and run spyware removal tools . Find and run a registry cleanup.

Run the minimum programs at once.

You can make it work better.

Things are looking hopeful for W7, favourable comments in here, BUT, a user who can drag down Vista will almost certainly drag down W7.

OP
OP
S

stevew451

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
county durham
Funster No
Exp
new
the reason why i say this about vista brian is i have a pc with XP and a laptop (used most) with vista only one winner there and it aint beginning with V

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Most operating systems have regular updates but as Jim says you can choose to disable and install only those you want rather than letting windows dictate.

I find it's just the same with many upgrades to various programmes you might be running. Just as you have got used to the layout of certain sites/progs, along comes a daft upgrade which when installed does little more than totally change the style that you have been used to. It is rarely an improvement.

This is a useful site worth keeping which enables you to download older previous versions which of course are often far better than the later ones....OldVersion.com

Another bug of mine is how website designers like to fiddle and fart around with sites. Anyone regularly use AutoTrader? If so you will already have experienced the total mess of the current site. The older style worked absolutely fine, but it's now a complete utter shambles.

As the saying goes....'if it ain't broke dont fix it'.

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'll come clean, I'm a real Geek :Blush: - I write Computer Software and I am a Network Administrator.:Eeek:

Vista is a dog, no two ways about it. But, some of the things that it does is the way the computing world is going.

1. Automatic Updates - Most (not all, Most) are important and should be installed
  2. Antivirus, Anti-Spyware and a Firewall are essential and you should take time to understand how they work - it'll be worth your while in the long run.
  3. Avoid Norton/Symantec as it is a real dog in using computer resources. AVG, AVAST, PANDA are just 3 free for private use antivirus programs you can use (there are others) which don't hog resources. I used to have the Network Version of Symantec and binned it because it was too resource hungry. I use the Paid For AVG Network Version now.
  4. Vista can be horribly slow when copying files because of those prats (use appropriate expletive) in the Recording Industry. This one isn't really M$ fault.
  5. Put all your files in the Documents Folder (or a sub folder off this folder). Any files you want to share put in Public. Don't put them anywhere else (Vista can have a hissy fit).
Those of you with recent computers (i.e. not over a year old) should ugrade to Windows 7 if possible. It is, in a nutshell, Vista Fixed. It is fast, seamless and easier to use (my opinion). I have had the full (legal - I'm on Microsoft's Partner Program) version since July and it has been a joy to use.

Windows 7 makes Vista look like a pile of poo and the Mac like something you wouldn't want to stand in :ROFLMAO:

My advice get Windows 7 as soon as you can.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the reason why i say this about vista brian is i have a pc with XP and a laptop (used most) with vista only one winner there and it aint beginning with V

Funny you should say that. Here I type on XP-Pro and my laptop came with Vista Home Premium.

Neither give me any trouble. There are no "frivolous" programs on them ( well, OK, Tombraider on the XP ) . My wife's PC on the other hand, makes me cringe, loads of junk, but it works and that's on W2K.

I am very limited and choosy where I go on the internet, so I just don't bother with updates, I rely on my router and AVG to catch any nasties. I'm very careful with spam, if I'm not 100% where it's from I just junk it.

I've had good results from Uniblue Registry Booster. This desktop does get software loaded and disguarded and this usually leaves junk behind, a cleanup is a_good_thing.

And just in case, loads of backups.

Occasionally I go into Task Manager and look what is running, I google some of to see if they are needed but it does not take long before "Oh *&*&*& it, life's too short" and I admit defeat. You could try this, see what programs are running and do you need them.

It's good to look in STARTUP and see what the *&*&*^%% have slipped in there behind your back.

Then Add/Remove programs - "do I use that any more" down the list.

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I thought I was reading an objective sensible post till I got to that bit :RollEyes:

But it is... :RollEyes:

Here, in France, they like their Mac computers and you see a lot more of them than in the UK. Even the company I work for use Mac Books more or less exclusively.

The reason, the French don't really like computers and use them under sufferance mainly as glorified typewriters and email clients which is exactly what Mac Books are best at doing. This is not meant as being derogatory, just my observation of their use in France.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
But it is... :RollEyes:

Here, in France, they like their Mac computers and you see a lot more of them than in the UK. Even the company I work for use Mac Books more or less exclusively.

The reason, the French don't really like computers and use them under sufferance mainly as glorified typewriters and email clients which is exactly what Mac Books are best at doing. This is not meant as being derogatory, just my observation of their use in France.

yes, they do that very well, a classic case of .... pearls before swine..

I have an 18 month old Sony, about £1200 when new, I bought it to replace an aging Mac Power book.. don't ask me why, it must have been a moment of madness, the Sony now languishes in a drawer and I'm back on my old trusty Mac..

Any one want a cheap Sony ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My HP running on Vista Premium with Kaspersky runs fine, only allow downloads when I'm ready, no problem. Also have a Toshiba on Vista premium with AVG, it is slow in comparison perhaps because less ram and cheaper build.
Are the slow ones due to hardware not Vista ?

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
My HP running on Vista Premium with Kaspersky runs fine, only allow downloads when I'm ready, no problem. Also have a Toshiba on Vista premium with AVG, it is slow in comparison perhaps because less ram and cheaper build.

The best answer is...

wait for it...

It depends on what software is running on which machine, but usually, yes.

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
yes, they do that very well, a classic case of .... pearls before swine..

I have an 18 month old Sony, about £1200 when new, I bought it to replace an aging Mac Power book.. don't ask me why, it must have been a moment of madness, the Sony now languishes in a drawer and I'm back on my old trusty Mac..

Any one want a cheap Sony ?

Which one is it? I may know someone who's interested

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs

Which also brings in to wquestion why some comps do run slow,basic single cpu wont handle using vista and norton,if you really want a comp to be fast etc you have to pay the £££ for it most budget PC or even most laptops are low cost components,want to run well build your own comp,cheaper than shop one :thumb:
Basic home comp from shop :
Intel core duo -slow as snails
Ram 2gb wow but run only at 400mhz= bottleneck[756mb needed juyst for vista]

My comp quick as a bat out of hell:ROFLMAO:

Amd PhenomII tri core £98
Am3 motherboard £143 i know but into gaming lol
DDR3 1666mhz [4gb] £70
Graphic card GTX 260 extreme OC £143
Case Antec 900 £75
Power supply 750 watt £45
320gb HD £48
Total £512