Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
just phoned fiat up to see how much to fit cam belt to my fiat ducato 15 jtd lwb they came up with a price off£468. can any one recommend any one ells in farnworth bolton:whatthe:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just phoned fiat up to see how much to fit cam belt to my fiat ducato 15 jtd lwb they came up with a price off£468. can any one recommend any one ells in farnworth bolton:whatthe:

We paid half that for a 2003 2L JTD. Keep trying. The parts are a bit over a hundred from memory. I also think it's only a 3 hour job so looks like they want £100 an hour. I may be a bit out.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
you could try a trip down to Geo's garage to get it done.
My experience is, many can and will do it cheaper but make sure you use someone you can trust. I done my last one myself with the help of a friend. Next time I will just take it to a Garage/person I can trust.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
you could try a trip down to Geo's garage to get it done.
My experience is, many can and will do it cheaper but make sure you use someone you can trust. I done my last one myself with the help of a friend. Next time I will just take it to a Garage/person I can trust.
and where is Geos garage then :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why do manufactures still use belts and chains, direct drive seems to work well and should be maintenance free for the life of the engine.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Why do manufactures still use belts and chains, direct drive seems to work well and should be maintenance free for the life of the engine.

Being a cynic, I'd guess for two reasons. First is that it's the cheapest way for them, and the second is that it guarantees income when the owner comes in to have a cam belt change.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Being a cynic, I'd guess for two reasons. First is that it's the cheapest way for them, and the second is that it guarantees income when the owner comes in to have a cam belt change.

:RollEyes: Or a NEW Engine or Re-build. Then again. To some, that is ONE way to make money. :thumb:

melr

Free Member
Oct 22, 2009
Funster No
motor industry code of practice
if you type this on a search engine you will find an approved garage under an industry regulated scheme where you can leave feedback of your experience with a garage who is on board with them, there is a garage finder on their website to locate one near to you
mel

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Martin/Lynn, The quote you got must have been from a Prawn Sandwich type Red supporting, more money than sense type place (same as Old Trafford).

After changing my cam belt on my Iveco myself twice and thus knowing exactly what was involved I asked for a quote at Locksbrook Garage in Bath and they quoted me £100 plus parts. (They claimed it was the book price) Needless to say I left the Wagon there and let them get on with it. Picked it up at 5.30 that evening all sorted!

JJ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The commercial rate for that job is circa £250 +vat inc parts and labour,
and that includes the all important pulley kit too, and inspection of the water pump, there are many reasons a cam belt fails in service the belt itself is the least likely cause:Eeek:

The bigger the establisment the bigger the bill is not always the case, shop around

Trade bodies and codes of practise
Don't make me laugh:Doh:

I have been trading many years without the benefit of membership to the so called organisations
I can join any or all at the click of a button and a credit card No:RollEyes:
So what does that say for the quality or standard of workmanship, not a lot in my book Any business that feels the need to pay for accreditation is already suspect in my opinion
my customer base is wide and varied and I have no advertising expense, word of mouth and recommendations are worth far more, ask your friends and neighbours they will soon tell you who to go to and who to avoid
Geo
Just as an aside
I have been asked more than once to join the "Good Garage" scheme, run by Forte
Now I am a big suporter of their products and use a fair amount,
I can joint the "Good Garage Scheme " Free
All I have to do is promise to use two of their products on every service,
Free to me, but it costs you the customer £20 extra,
So the "Good Garage Scheme" is Good for who!!!
I prefer to give you the option of using their products

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back