nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would like to use my new motorhome throughout the winter on the smaller sites that continue to stay open but from my extremely limited experience these are usually grass. This may be a daft question but is it easy to get bogged down and sink on grass pitches and what is the procedure if you do?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The simple anwer is yes it is.

Depends upon the state of the ground obviousley.

The procedure for getting unbogged is to get a local farmer with a tractor to drag you out.

Make sure that you check out the ground before you park.

Check the forcast, it may be ok when you park but be soddden the next day when you wake up with mud up to your wheel arches.

Dont park in such a position that you have to drive uphill to get out.

Carry slip mats, something that you can put under your wheels to get a grip on when pulling out.

Its all common sense stuff.

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Plenty of CL/CS's (5 van sites) with hardstanding and leccie for around £8 in winter, these are what we use.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Do not know if it will be of any use to you but came across a web site yesterday Campfires.Co.CC sorry I can't put a link but it had all sorts of sites where you can light a camp fire good for winter camping and also had lots of links and telephone numbers so you could check before you go if the ground is OK. Carol.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do not know if it will be of any use to you but came across a web site yesterday Campfires.Co.CC sorry I can't put a link but it had all sorts of sites where you can light a camp fire good for winter camping and also had lots of links and telephone numbers so you could check before you go if the ground is OK. Carol.

Thanks Carol.. took a bit of finding.. useful site :thumb:

Campfires Allowed - Welcome to Campfires Allowed

jim

Upvote 0

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I would add that its worth carrying a tow rope, you can usually find someone to give you a tug, but never anything to tug with.

ROY

Upvote 0

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
I would like to use my new motorhome throughout the winter on the smaller sites that continue to stay open but from my extremely limited experience these are usually grass. This may be a daft question but is it easy to get bogged down and sink on grass pitches and what is the procedure if you do?
=Tony Hi Nigglynelly there is no way I would go on grass in the winter,
for one the weight of the m/h most are front wheel drive ,I have found from past experience ,the m/h will sink very lightly in the grass ,when you put it in first,second gear you will almost certainly get wheel spin even at low revolutions.
If this happens the breakdown company will not drive off the road to tow you out.
why do you want small sites?,there are plenty of sites open all year round with hard standings £8- £9 per night for 2 inclusive EHU,toilet blocks with central heating free hot showers, club house with bar,tv,food,why sit in your m/h when you can relax in comfort ? Tony

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I've got some sets of plastic garden temporary paths.

They lay down similar to caterpillar tracks. I always make sure I park on these when on suspect ground no matter what the weather. On grass they easily take the van's weight (3.5) as the ground yields a bit.

£25 buys enough to make up 2 x 6 feet lengths to park your driven wheels on. I have now got a second set, so if the need arises I can drive over any distance by laying the tracks in sequence.

They are lightweight and fold small enough to carry on the bike rack even when I am already carrying a bike as well.

The ones I use are made by Garland.....www.garlandproducts.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I always park with the rear end as close to the road as possible, if I have no alternative place to park, and suspect that it may get a bit slippy. Reverse gear is much lower than first and second, and consequently, it is less easy to spin the wheels when reversing on slippery ground.

I also ALWAYS carry a set of Fiamma anti skid mats. They take up very little rooms:Smile:

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I always park with the rear end as close to the road as possible, if I have no alternative place to park, and suspect that it may get a bit slippy. Reverse gear is much lower than first and second, and consequently, it is less easy to spin the wheels when reversing on slippery ground.

I also ALWAYS carry a set of Fiamma anti skid mats. They take up very little rooms:Smile:

I think you might be wrong in your logic. :Smile:

Reverse gear being very low will also have a lot of torque and increase the chance of wheelspin.

Many years ago when towing a caravan with a Renault 30, (almost unlimited torque!) I was having trouble getting off a sodden field. A fellow camper gave me the advice to try pulling away in second gear as this had the effect of reducing the torque.

Lo, and behold a miracle occurred and I was able get away reasonably easily.

So you actually need a lower torque to prevent wheelspin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all your replies

Thanks everyone for all the useful advice. Sorry I have been a bit slow to respond but I have just changed my ISP and despite them promising a seemless transfer I lost the internet from the middle of last week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
=Tony Hi Nigglynelly there is no way I would go on grass in the winter,
for one the weight of the m/h most are front wheel drive ,I have found from past experience ,the m/h will sink very lightly in the grass ,when you put it in first,second gear you will almost certainly get wheel spin even at low revolutions.
If this happens the breakdown company will not drive off the road to tow you out.
why do you want small sites?,there are plenty of sites open all year round with hard standings £8- £9 per night for 2 inclusive EHU,toilet blocks with central heating free hot showers, club house with bar,tv,food,why sit in your m/h when you can relax in comfort ? Tony

Hi Tony,
The reason I thought smaller sites would be better is that they may be quieter but I only have very limited experience at the moment to base that on.

Upvote 0

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Hi Tony.
Re sites with leccie, centrally heated toilet blocks, free hot showers, clubhouse with bar,TV and food for £8 to£9 a night.
I would LOVE for you to name a couple in Scotland, or even the top half of England for that matter.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Yes please to naming these sites. Are they non Caravan Club sites, as I am having difficulty finding a site around the Kent area for just after Xmas and New Year.

Upvote 0

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
Hi Tony,
The reason I thought smaller sites would be better is that they may be quieter but I only have very limited experience at the moment to base that on.
Hi nigglynelly we all had to start from the bottom of the ladder? the only way I learn't was to ask other people you will always find someome on site who will give you advice freely.
go out there and just enjoy yourself you will get used to it good luck to you in thr future.
Tony

Upvote 0

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
ANY info forthcoming on the sites you mentioned yet Tony?

Upvote 0

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
ANY info forthcoming on the sites you mentioned yet Tony?
Hi New Rover have found 2009 touring campsites (in association with the the caravan club,)there are C L's in Dumfrieshire open all year from £6 pn,I will keep looking for you, the sites up north cost a lot more than down here in the south, just found Bardsea Leisure Park Ulverston Cumbria LA12 9QE from £11 all inclusive 2 adults Tony

Upvote 0

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
Yes please to naming these sites. Are they non Caravan Club sites, as I am having difficulty finding a site around the Kent area for just after Xmas and New Year.
Hi gwnking try looking on the net caravan and camping parks in the Kent area, you should find something, If I can find a site I will post Tony

Upvote 0

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
My thanks also Tony.
I do have the CC and C&CC books. (member of both for CLs and CSs)
You might find 1 or 2 sites that are advertised for £6 but as the Club blurb says you have to phone and check.
The cheapest I have found so far is £8, but then again no showers, no toilets, no clubhouse, no TV nor food.
The furthest South I have been so far is the Lake district and have paid £15.50 per night (Braithwaite) so didn't find things cheaper in England.
I tend to wild it most nights so I still have a lot of catching up to do re site visiting.
Will check out the site you mention in Cumbria.
Once again thanks for taking the trouble.

Upvote 0

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
=

Thanks to Space Runner for his garden path tip, think thats the route we will go,
As for your post Tony.
We would much rather use the smaller quiet sites.
We can sit in "Luxury" not just comfort, we can relax with the TV or a dvd of our choice we can get a nice cool beer/ wine from the fridge and we have also had some lovely meals whilst using our MH
Oh yes then we can also have a shower and use our own loo without having to go out!
:thumb::thumb:
Its what we bought a MH for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread