First trip in hired motorhome (1 Viewer)

Gordy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
benfleet Essex
Funster No
Hi all new to this so bare with me. We have just got back from a week touring Suffolk & Norfolk in a hired peugeot 130 wife and I had great time parking and hooking up on 4 different sites.It was all a trial to get some idea before buying one iam glad we did,the 130 we found was a bit on the small side in each others way but we did have a laugh especialy wife climbing onto the cab bed. We are hooked know and could not wait to have alook around a motorhome sale site near where we live, and we have seen one, so I would like your opions on this model its a Lunar Roadstar 780 6 berth 2001 fixed bed which we like, it has a few extra like saterlite dish fixed on roof sat nav and reversing camera its pretty tidy for year 36000 miles asking price ok £24000

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi all new to this so bare with me. We have just got back from a week touring Suffolk & Norfolk in a hired peugeot 130 wife and I had great time parking and hooking up on 4 different sites.It was all a trial to get some idea before buying one iam glad we did,the 130 we found was a bit on the small side in each others way but we did have a laugh especialy wife climbing onto the cab bed. We are hooked know and could not wait to have alook around a motorhome sale site near where we live, and we have seen one, so I would like your opions on this model its a Lunar Roadstar 780 6 berth 2001 fixed bed which we like, it has a few extra like saterlite dish fixed on roof sat nav and reversing camera its pretty tidy for year 36000 miles asking price ok £24000

For circa 24k I would be expecting a 2005 - 2006 maybe even a 2007. have a look on german site Link Removed for a price comparison. and also ebay, but make sure they are genuine private sales

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit I am inclined to agree with the Judgemental on the price of this van, but depends on condition etc.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gordy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
benfleet Essex
Funster No
Thanks for response I have looked on internet sites just found a couple around same year at £22500 but they did not have as much extra, like no satnav/rev camera, bike rack,dig tv and one did not have a yawning. It might be more because its a dealer it still wont put me off in buying motorhome thanks again

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Gordy.

You are in the best position to decide as you have seen the van and the extras with it, a dealer will charge what he thinks he can get. It might be worth seeing if you can get any goodies with it as you are just starting out, or maybe a discount on them, they will often play ball this way. It all helps.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Gordy,

We had a 780 from new in 2001, your choice is a good one, they are a very practical rig. It was a good workhorse for us for nearly five years when we traded it in.

The window screen price is the dealers starting point, as already said, see what you can get as extras, and another point is, you are in the market to purchase, no part exchange, make him an offer....and be prepared to walk away, to let him think about your proposal.

Is it one owner from new, that can have an effect on asking price.

I would agree with others, its about £2K over priced, but you should be able to secure a good settlement, in the current climate.

Good luck:thumb:

Nomadic

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gordy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
benfleet Essex
Funster No
Test driveing motorhome tommorow thursday, I know its shot notice but apart from obvious is there any think else should look out for.
He said we can drive back to my house and try and reverse up the drive to see if ok thought it was good of him, I know he is trying to do a sale but i thought it was good of him seeing we live a 20mins away, looking forward to it

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Sounds like a reasonable dealer, see how it goes.

Check service record check for damp use meter and nose look everywhere for signs of damp, if it still seems good then best of luck.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Gordy

I personally think thats a decent van at a sensible price. You pay your money for what you think its worth. A friend of ours on here has paid nearly twice that ammount for an older van but it of top spec and very plush. 2001 will be on the old fiat chasis so reversing wont be a problem.

The van has a few worthwhile accessories on it that could/would justify the price. Remember though the accessories are only any good if you want them. No point in having an expensive kayak carrier if you dont kayak. That said, only a fool would not want a sat system.

Ok so 36k on a 2001, its about right for a motorhome and of course although people will use there vans differently, I for one prefer a van that has some miles on it so its not been standing. As for checks to make? well all 2.8 and 2.0 of our make are prone to suffer the odd wheel bearing failure. I had one go on my last van with a lot less miles. so listen for any odd sounds from that direction. Check the tyres not just for wear but for age. Very important in negotiating later, its considered good practice to change your tyres after 5-6 years regardless of tyre depth due to load pressure. at 2001 I would want new camping car tyres on for sure if they have not been changed from new. As for anything else? the cam belt should of been changed by now, due to age so of course check it has been and check what the service history is like.

As others have said, they would expect a newer van for that money and its up to you which way you go. An example would be that our last van (a CI) was ace nearly new when we got it but a budget van. For us we wanted to rack up plenty of miles which we did so it was important not to have anythin more than a few years old. However with quality comes more cash. Im sure there are plenty on this forum that have splashed out on a older hymer for more money,

One thing for sure is that it sounds like your going to love it so good luck.

The above is only what I would be looking for if I was buying, others will have there own way.:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gordy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
benfleet Essex
Funster No
Hi All

Had test drive drove really nice took a bit getting use to 26ft long
But everythink went well no noises from engine,steering ok could not fault it,reversed up drive ok bit back forward but got there

Deposit down pick up end of year. New M O T and engine battery varies bit to do in van.Then ready for the off in new year probably do local sites first couple of months to get use to it then of to Scotland for 3/4 weeks cannot wait thanks for all your info

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi
Glad you have found the van OK and all looks set fair, you will enjoy Scotland we do 6 weeks at a time, normally twice a year, you should enjoy it, Don't forget your midge repellent if going later than end of may,especially if going west coast, better still take it any way.

Hope all goes well

Upvote 0

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
Hey Gordy,

Would that be a 2001 on a Y plate?

We toured Scotland in an exact same model in 2004 and it was fabulous. Though when it came to buying one our kids are now less likely to come with us so with changed needs we brought something a few feet shorter.

Come to think of it we hired it from a place in Rainham, Essex - it's not the same van is it?

TJ

Upvote 0

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months

Hi We've just bought a Lunar Roadstar 780 6berth its a bit newer than yours but we are delighted with it The one you've mentioned sounds like a good buy with the extras..although we're no experts you def need to have a good look around and compare prices etc The Lunar 780 are a very good model I think your wise to buy from a reputable motorhome dealer I would definitely haggle with the price though whether its worth the money or not.. we did and got a few thousand off ours! Like you we hired a Motorhome first and looked at loads and yeah the fixed bed is such a bonus..esp if you've had a glass or two before bed..couldnt bear the thought of having to make the bed up then!
Anyway happy motorhome hunting&good luck (ps hows Canvey Island these days?..used to live there and Southend years&years ago :Smile:Rainy&Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gordy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
benfleet Essex
Funster No
Hi
Spoke to dealer had a word about price again and he is going to think about it.

But we have set how heart on the van. They are good dealers there,ve put 2 new batteries on new cam belt (peace of mind) cannot fought them really M o T when we pick up end of year

As send previosly we are going to Scotland any tips like campsites roads ect.

Rainy.. Canvey is a busy place now to many houses, job to get on and off the island

Upvote 0

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
Hi All

Had test drive drove really nice took a bit getting use to 26ft long
But everythink went well no noises from engine,steering ok could not fault it,reversed up drive ok bit back forward but got there

Deposit down pick up end of year. New M O T and engine battery varies bit to do in van.Then ready for the off in new year probably do local sites first couple of months to get use to it then of to Scotland for 3/4 weeks cannot wait thanks for all your info

Wow well done..you will love it and you will soon get used to handling it. Have fun. Rainy
(Poor ol Canvey..was pretty quiet there 30 years ago!)

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi
Spoke to dealer had a word about price again and he is going to think about it.

But we have set how heart on the van. They are good dealers there,ve put 2 new batteries on new cam belt (peace of mind) cannot fought them really M o T when we pick up end of year

As send previosly we are going to Scotland any tips like campsites roads ect.

Rainy.. Canvey is a busy place now to many houses, job to get on and off the island

Hi just a quike the A82 in Scotland can be hairy around Loc lomond area due to narrow road and ROCKS sticking out of the wall, but generaly Scottish roads are narrower than down south and parts of the A9 up the top where it runs along the coast line.

Just take it steady and you will enjoy yourself

Brian

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back