Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Got this Sony Handycam but can't seem to burn the video to disk. Can any one tell me the best software for burning video to disk or any other help please.
Maureen

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Maureen... I use a programme called Cybershot (6). I only use this because it was the software than came with my JVC video camera.

Didn't your Sony come with any software?

JJ

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Like JJ says. You should have had the software with your camera. Another way around the problem if you have no means of burning to disc is , connect the camera to your TV. Go to AV2 and run the film on your TV screen and tape it on a normal tape recorder. Get someone to burn from tape recorder to DVD disc. Hope it helps.
PS: They do sell video recorder and CD/DVD in a unit. Cost just under £300 new. Cheaper for someone else to do it for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Hi Maureen,
I had same problem with mine and I had software etc. Was going to suggest same as beachbum.
I gave up in the end and used my Nikon camera which has a video option so Ill watch this thread with interest.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

What you need is an editing program of some sort, eg Windows Movie maker or one of the many video editing programs. These have a capture program that when camcorder is connected loads video into the computer. The only thing to watch is if it is HD as this requires a different program, and some of the basic units won't cope with it.

You can then edit into a film adding titles joining bits together with fades to produce a film without jumps, you can also remove any unwanted scenes, or rearrange to produce the required result

When finished they then have a section to burn to CD/DVD to produce your finished disc.

I would warn you this becomes a time consuming hobby which you will find needs a computer with loads of memory and the faster the better as you get into it but I have found it a great hobby, but it is possible to start with a reasonable computer, providing you have a reasonably large hard drive, as editing eats memory.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
I use Adobe Premier Elements for editing from my Sony Handcam. It's very time consuming - I'm not very good at it.
What I do is once I've edited the video using the Adobe I then send it to Windows Movie Maker, sort it out again and then save it in "Videos" on the computer. From there I can send it to a DVD.
I know that sounds a bit long winded but it works for me!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

What you need is an editing program of some sort, eg Windows Movie maker or one of the many video editing programs. These have a capture program that when camcorder is connected loads video into the computer.

You can then edit into a film adding titles joining bits together with fades to produce a film without jumps, you can also remove any unwanted scenes, or rearrange to produce the required result

When finished they then have a section to burn to CD/DVD to produce your finished disc.

I would warn you this becomes a time consuming hobby which you will find needs a computer with loads of memory and the faster the better as you get into it but I have found it a great hobby, but it is possible to start with a reasonable computer, providing you have a reasonably large hard drive, as editing eats memory.

Hi Dave , good advice

I have used both Windows Movie maker and iMovie on the Mac .. both are good and reasonable easy to understand.., however IMO, Apple iMovie is the better.

When shooting video, take lots of short clips of no more than 1 min, this makes it easier to edit..

Once you have imported all the clips, there is nothing worse than a long boring video.. people's attention span is short, so keep the finished product to a max of 3 - 5 mins. .. be ruthless, cut out all the bad bits, out of focus or shots of feet , peoples heads etc. you can also add still shots from your digital camera to use as transitions between video shots. .

Now add a good soundtrack, having a selection of music in iTunes makes this easy. .

You can save the finished product in several formats depending on how you want to use, ie .. internet, YouTube,email or for DVD, So, save the raw project in a master file for later use or editing.

good luck, it's a very time consuming hobby, but very rewarding

This one I made is less than 2 mins, but it feels quite long..
The Lodge CL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSoDN5CijlE]YouTube - The Lodge CL Colchester[/ame]
jim

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Dave , good advice

I have used both Windows Movie maker and iMovie on the Mac .. both are good and reasonable easy to understand.., however IMO, Apple iMovie is the better.

When shooting video, take lots of short clips of no more than 1 min, this makes it easier to edit..

Once you have imported all the clips, there is nothing worse than a long boring video.. people's attention span is short, so keep the finished product to a max of 3 - 5 mins. .. be ruthless, cut out all the bad bits, out of focus or shots of feet , peoples heads etc. you can also add still shots from your digital camera to use as transitions between video shots. .

Now add a good soundtrack, having a selection of music in iTunes makes this easy. .

You can save the finished product in several formats depending on how you want to use, ie .. internet, YouTube,email or for DVD, So, save the raw project in a master file for later use or editing.

good luck, it's a very time consuming hobby, but very rewarding

This one I made is less than 2 mins, but it feels quite long..
The Lodge CL

YouTube - The Lodge CL Colchester
jim

Hi Jim

See you have been bitten by the bug, like the film. I now tend to make films for my own use, best way I have found to keep records don't use still camera any more thats the wife's job.
Have you ever tried mounting camera on tripod and filming as you go along, we did the trip from Fort William to Mallaig on a sunny spring day made a great film, bit long but a wonderful keepsake, have done this on quite a few road trips in Scotland.
I use Sony Vegas editing program a bit complicated but great when you have mastered it, but expensive to buy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim

See you have been bitten by the bug,

Have you ever tried mounting camera on tripod and filming as you go along,

Hi Dave,

thought about it but never got around to doing it .. Jan has tried it just holding the camera.. :Doh:
Jim (the boss) has a video taken from the suicide seat of his RV .. makes for good viewing.. must see if it's on YouTube yet .

Would love a new Sony handy cam ,( I'm still using a 10 year old Sony 8mm Camcorder with tapes) but it's not on top of the list of 'must haves' yet ..

jim

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Dave,

thought about it but never got around to doing it .. Jan has tried it just holding the camera.. :Doh:
Jim (the boss) has a video taken from the suicide seat of his RV .. makes for good viewing.. must see if it's on YouTube yet .

Would love a new Sony handy cam ,( I'm still using a 10 year old Sony 8mm Camcorder with tapes) but it's not on top of the list of 'must haves' yet ..

jim

Have seen Jims (Boss) tape very good.

I am using Panasonic NV-GS330 This is also tapes but that was by choice as don't like disc or memory cards have been told they are more difficult to edit, don't see why but that's what I have been told.

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Maureen
I bought a little gizmo called a Video Grabber, off the TV ,but they prob have them at Maplins etc, easy to use connect to camera & computer, then from computer to a disc. Pete

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks all for your replies. Yes I have the software that came with the camera but it seem quite complicated for ME not that brill with computer. You have to get streaming so I thought there may be something a little easy for idiots. If I take a little video with my digital camera I can pick it up with Picasa 3 no problem.
Jim I would just like to say you have a beautiful daughter with the most gorgeous hair and smile.
Thanks All
Maureen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
hi, we had problems burning photos to dvd, ended up burning to CD no more probs.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
hi, we had problems burning photos to dvd, ended up burning to CD no more probs.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Did you have the correct DVD blanks? There are two, DVD+R and DVD-R on some writers only one is compatible.

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Desco
Tried both and also CD 's
I can show them on the TV through the handycam but it means keeping all the little video's

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Did you have the correct DVD blanks? There are two, DVD+R and DVD-R on some writers only one is compatible.

Hi, Dave -they are Sony DVD-RW, I think the problem is us- my son came over a while back & managed to copy pics on one- but we can't suss out how!....clever little *****
Dave:thumb:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
You can use Nero to do thats what i used for our Sony also if you have a dvd recorder for the telly just put it through that watch while it records:thumb:

R

richardhomas

Deleted User
Roxio works well, the latest version burns to BlueRay

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have the Roxio software on this computer. OK I will give that a go see if it works for me Thanks
Maureen

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Desco
Tried both and also CD 's
I can show them on the TV through the handycam but it means keeping all the little video's

As you say you are not up on computers it is difficult without being with you in person to explain. Do you have Windows Movie Maker on your computer that is fairly easy to work worth looking at. They have quite good explanations.

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Desco Dave
Yes I have Windows Movie Maker Just had a look at it I will have a go at it 2morro and let you know how I get on Thanks for that.
Maureen

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Mikeandcarolyn
If you start a blog post the link so we can enjoy.
Maureen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back