Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi There,
can anyone assist with suggestions for engine oil for the Fiat Ducato 2.3litre 2008 model. I enquired at a Fiat dealer who suggested their oil a "5/40 wide range", had never heard of wide range before. over £60 plus vat! for about 6 litres
My Mechanic has suggested an alternative should be available but his suppliers have never heard of "wide range" before either.
Are any of the fully synthetic oils suitable as an alternative?
Regards, Weejohnw
:RollEyes:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
oiul

Not an expert but as the vans are based on commercial vans check the yellow pages for any garage that deals with commercail vans etc. They should know, Dealers only want to sell you expensive things and Oil aint that expensive!!

I dare say an expert will come on soon and give the correct answer.:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi There,
can anyone assist with suggestions for engine oil for the Fiat Ducato 2.3litre 2008 model. I enquired at a Fiat dealer who suggested their oil a "5/40 wide range", had never heard of wide range before. over £60 plus vat! for about 6 litres
My Mechanic has suggested an alternative should be available but his suppliers have never heard of "wide range" before either.
Are any of the fully synthetic oils suitable as an alternative?
Regards, Weejohnw
:RollEyes:

Wide range it is probabally called because it is from a low 5 to a high 40 .So it's an oil that is suitable for a wide temp range I think. Anyway if you get a good quality semi - synthetic or for £60 you should be able to get a good quality fully synthetic ,:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i just googled 5/40 engine oil .came up with opie oils not far from me. they do it starting at about 30 qoid discount is available check itout.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not a big fan of Halfords but punch in your reg here for the recommended oil

Link Removed

also Google " what oil for my car" , that brings up several manufacturers sites..

jim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it should tell you in the Fiat owners manual which grade is suitable...

look for the SAE numbers.

i Use Valvoline synthetic Blend SAE 5W-30..around £22+vat for 5 liters from the local motor factors.

2001 Fiat 2.8td engine

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
opie oils are very good , only sell quality products , oils , filters all sorts of bits ...prices competitive

they also give discounts to club/forum members if the site is registered
a couple of months ago I did send a message to admin here suggesting registration , but nothing happened and motorhome fun is not in their list

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I use fully synthetic from my local motor factors, Unipart,

Never let me down yet and nothing like that in terms of price but you did say fiat Garage.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I notice that the last time my VW T5 was serviced the 6 liters of oil cost £70 inc the vat. I only pay £22 for 5 litres for the oil we use to top it up.

Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I notice that the last time my VW T5 was serviced the 6 liters of oil cost £70 inc the vat. I only pay £22 for 5 litres for the oil we use to top it up.

Andy

thats garage pricing for you.:Angry:

unscrupulous garages may put cheap oil in and charge you a premium oil price.

better off supplying your own oil.

garage i worked at in my recovery days had a bulk tank of semi-synthetic and that went in everything....petrol and diesel, including the recovery fleet (except the merc, that had special oil), unless a customer supplied their own oil.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
5/40 fully syn cold climates
10/40 fully syn moderate climates
either of the above
the wide range and VW @£60-£70 are long/extended service oils
5/30 fully synth oils are specified for your vehicle as a moderate climate alternative
gear box oils 75/80 fully syn
power steering dextron ll
Geo

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi Folks, thanks for all your information
I thought £68+ vat was sticking the arm in
Think my mate supplies Vavoline oil, so will likely go with that
Many thanks
Weejohnw

kandave

Free Member
Aug 29, 2009
Northants
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
started 2009
Correct oil spec for Fiat Ducato 2.3 litre 2008 model

Hi, I checked this out with a contact at Chevron Texaco and they confirm the following:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The oil requirement for this model is for a synthetic meeting ACEA before – our recommendation would be Havoline Ultra 5W-40
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hope that helps. I have a pdf copy of the spec sheet (too large to upload) but PM me if you want a copy or info on where to get hold of it near you.

Keith

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you are buying Havoline, buy it at Asda! They sell it there, cheaper than the garages can buy it from their suppliers - so you will save a fortune!

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
wide range

wide range to me suggests multigrade.
a good synthetic motor oil wil be just as good.
check your manual for the base vehicle it should give you the correct specification for the oil for the van

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
personally I change my oil every year at 10/12,000 Km

any decent semi=synthetic oil is more than capable of that

if you wish to use longer oil change intervals then it is perhaps worth using fully synthetic oil for it's long life qualities , otherwise don't bother , you are wasting your money

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
The vehicle maker will specify the cheapest oil that gets well clear of the warranty period, certainly not the best. This is to enable as cheap a service cost as possible in a competitive market. The dealer could well sell you a much higher quality oil, but is unlikely to use this in a cost controlled service.

Don't skimp on engine oil as your vehicle can't rid itself of heavy duty work, the weight is always there and in most cases you also have turbos and the issues that brings. The oil cost is trivial in the whole picture given the massive cost of the finished MH and its other costs of ownership.
It should also be remembered we have a higher cold start to mileage ratio compared to commercial users and this is about the most brutal part the oil is subjected to.

I would not dream of using either a non fully synthetic or non premium supplier's oil for my personal MH use, but that's not the choice I would necessarily make for my commercial use decisions.
In my working life amongst other things I used to be responsible for specifying the oils to be used by our customers for a multitude of different equipment fitted in our companies products.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back