Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We are hoping to spend Feb and Mar at Tavira in Portugal. According to my Boy's Own atlas we have to cross the Pyrennees somewhere/somehow and, in case global warming is a myth, we have to carry snow chains.

Never having needed them I know nothing about them so would welcome your advice on snow chains generally and also on the "best" non-toll route from the A20 north of Cahors. Our MH is an FWD Fiat Ducato with 16 inch wheels, can't remember tyre spec.

Thanks in advance.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you cross at either end of the mountain range I doubt you will need snow chains

We came though Spain (Bilbao/Torre del mar) last year in early March and whilst there was plenty of snow on the hills the main roads were clear.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My comment "we have to carry snow chains" is not based solely on a perceived need but rather the risk that an officious gendarme will turn me back just because I don't have them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
If you are driving down through France you should be able to buy chains from a autoroute service station. The fiat wheels are pretty common.

Having said that, the Pyrenees have some pretty long tunnels that will bypass the snow. Very much doubt you would need chains on the main routes.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I bought our last pair from here < Broken Link Removed>; delivered from Germany in a matter of days.

We have a Ducato FWD also on 16" wheels and ours are the Weissenfels Rex TR 17mm.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You need specific chains for your tyre dimensions.....not just 16" chains.
Too slack and tyre, and possibly wheel arch, damage will be possible.
Too tight and you won't get them on the tyre.

I have a pair of Thule chains, specifically for 265/60/18 tyres....they fit like a glove.

Reactions: f6c

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In 17 years of coach driving, most of the winters doing ski trips, I only ever put the chains on once and that was only because we had an early evening departure from resort and the snow ploughs had finished for the day.

You'll find that even in bad weather the authorities keep the main roads clear and chains are only required if you decide to be, shall we say, a little adventurous. There will be signs saying if snow chains are required. Safest to go round the ends or use Somport Tunnel.

But if you decide to purchase do make sure you get the right size for your tyres and get for both front and rear no matter what end your driving wheels are at.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
On the France/Spain border, You'll be almost at sea level. Not much snow around ;)

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
If you are driving down through France you should be able to buy chains from a autoroute service station.

But as a mean buffer I do my best to avoid tolls so don't see too many 'A' service stations. I plan to buy the chains before departure so that if we encounter snow or officious officials there won't be a last minute panic trying to find them.

You'll be almost at sea level. Not much snow around ;)

Good point, IIRC Scott etc worked on that principle when holidaying in Antarctica.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

My comment "we have to carry snow chains" is not based solely on a perceived need but rather the risk that an officious gendarme will turn me back just because I don't have them.

Yep , this is the right thing to do! Carry them and don't listen to who ever tells not to. Being myself an old froggy, I usually tend to say , forget about the rule. Except that this one might just stop your travel. Gendarmes won't let you carry on with your travel. better be safe than sorry. If no snow.... good for you, but at least if any , you'll wave at all the ones who didn't want to bother and who will stay stuck on the edge

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi LL
When you need chains you need chains.
Gendarmes apart. If you get caught in a dump even slight slopes become very very tricky without chains
and bearing in mind you may have a queue of traffic behind cursing you. Buy easy fit chains
and at least have a good look at them before starting out
ideally have a practise putting one on.
Its a world of difference fitting them when its wet with cars whizzing past and your fingers are frozen
kev

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Its a world of difference fitting them when its wet with cars whizzing past and your fingers are frozen
kev

Had to have a bit of a chuckle - we had occasional training days when new drivers were trained how to fit snow chains. A coach wheel and tyre were brought into a nice warm training room and the trainee was given a bag of chains which had, of course, been stored overnight in the training room. I used to get on the instructors wick when I told them what they should do is take the trainees outside in their shirtsleeves to a coach parked on the wash, blindfold them and turn the wash on. Now fit the chains 'cos that's the more likely scenario!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have started a separate thread on snow chains/alloy wheels which might be of interest.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi LL
When you need chains you need chains.
Gendarmes apart. If you get caught in a dump even slight slopes become very very tricky without chains
and bearing in mind you may have a queue of traffic behind cursing you. Buy easy fit chains
and at least have a good look at them before starting out
kev

Yes you're right , snowy slopes being dangerous for your life are far more important than gendarmes! Things is people tend to forget about danger and seem to be far more concerned by fines and being stuck .....

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I don't worry about getting stuck - I just don't go there. And whilst I would never deliberately go into snowy conditions, I've got snow rated winter tyres which should help as long as it doesn't get silly.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Terry
Yer dead right mate
I also laminated the instructions and have a copy in the storage box
my memory being what it is.
I watched a group trying to fit chains in the pouring rain and snow as the instructions they had disintegrated in their hands
lol

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
I also cut a small piece of camp mat that fits inside the box holding the chains
Better to kneel on than a wet road at - something degrees

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
At last I have begun my search and I note that some have "automatic tensioning" and some "manual". I am guessing that the former would be more suitable for the maladroit - is it really that simple a choice?

TIA

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Would snow socks not be an option, they are a bit easier to fit but would they satisfy the Gendarmes?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Neil snow socks are a get you moving on a nice smooth snowy surface option
Alpine roads are frozen rock solid with jagged holes in them covered by a layer of ice
on top of which is snow compacted by 52 seat coaches and wet slurry.

Chains ocassionally snap
Snow socks are not a replacement for chains
Kev

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
we are off through France and down to Benidorm area next thursday....THIS IS WORRYING I did not know snow chains would be mandatory? I have no plans to travel in heavy snow as the ducato is bad enough on wet grass or a wet greasey inclines so snow is deffo out. Should we rethink our plans?

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Would snow socks not be an option, they are a bit easier to fit but would they satisfy the Gendarmes?
Really a waste of money.
Just a set of self tensioning chains at about 70/80€
The problem is you are driving on snow, ice, tarmac, snow, tarmac, ice etc. A very variable surface as the snow/ice melts in the sun.
Living in the Pyrenees, and skiing regular, snow chains are a must.
When you have them, driving in the snow is nearly like driving on good road, plenty of grip with them, when correctly fitted.

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Snow chains are not mandatory in the Pyrenees France, but you could be turned back if the roads are bad in the mountains.
Common sense really.
If you are worried take the main roads / Autoroutes near the coast either side of the Pyrenees, they are always clear.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We actually take a slightly longer route to Beni so as to avoid the higher regions.. Drop down through Toulouse and then over to Perpignan
So far ( he says touching wood and whistling ) even when it has been snowing we have not had a problem

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Snow socks may be an option but my French friends say that they are not chains.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
we are off through France and down to Benidorm area next thursday....THIS IS WORRYING I did not know snow chains would be mandatory? I have no plans to travel in heavy snow as the ducato is bad enough on wet grass or a wet greasey inclines so snow is deffo out. Should we rethink our plans?
At Oloron-Sainte-Marie & Col du Somport last week it was sunburn that was the problem.:laughing:

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Snow socks may be an option but my French friends say that they are not chains.
Would not waste my money on them, they are NOT chains and I have seen them last 5 mins before disintegrating on icy tarmac and gravel!!
Ok if you want to stop every 5 minutes and put them back on in virgin snow!!
Really a waste of time. Chains are the best, I have done 100's of km with chains and never a problem. Only cold hands lol !!

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012

Mick choose the coastal routes you should be Ok
and listen to the weather forecasts

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Mick we are snow hunters not snow avoiders
so please do not worry too much. Enjoy your journey and holiday.

if the weather is particularly bad pull over where its sense and make a cup of Tea
Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back