Hard wiring a dash camera from the mirror feed. (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've recently acquired a new, to me, car and am in the process of moving my dash cam to the new car.
As usual, it's going to be a fiddly job routing the wiring from the camera to dash mounted cigar lighter socket.

.......... and then I noticed - my "new" car has an ignition powered auto dipping rear view mirror :)

That seems to be a perfect place to take power for the camera and eliminate all that wire routing.

Anybody done that successfully?

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Is it permanently live ? If the car is fairly new it may operate on a Canbus wiring system so may not be a full 12v

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is it permanently live ? If the car is fairly new it may operate on a Canbus wiring system so may not be a full 12v
Agreed.
I was going to use the mirror supply on my Chrysler but information on the Chrysler owners forum stated it was a much lower voltage....from memory 8v.
You'll need to put a meter on to check first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

No, it's not permanently live. It has an on/off switch but once the switch is switched on it remains in the on postion and becomes live when the ignition is switched back on. Not necessary to keep switching back on.
The car is 2006 vintage Toyota Rav4.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Both the dash cams I have are powered by USB so require a 5 volt supply, so are you wiring in some sort of voltage regulator?

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Both the dash cams I have are powered by USB so require a 5 volt supply, so are you wiring in some sort of voltage regulator?

I hadn't got that far. The camera is a bog standard dash cam and has been running straight off the 12v cigar lighter supply of my other car for the last 2 years. If I can't take a lead off the mirror feed then I'll just go back to burying the wire in and around the dash.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

Sorry Steve - I was reading your words but not taking in what you were saying.:(

Yep, the output coming from the cigar lighter adaptor to the camera is indeed 5v. The supply to the mirror where I'd like to link the camera is 12v so yes, some sort of regulator required.

Now I suppose I could cobble something from the cigar lighter adaptor, on the other hand, I bet someone here will have a better solution? :)

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
What you need is one of these,
Link Removed
They are small enough to tuck in behind the roof lining near your mirror. I have been using one for about two years now with no problem.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It all depends, If you are handy with a solder iron?. Many years back, I dismantled a "Cigar Lighter" car adapter. Soldered a Live and Negative wire to the Board, put a line fuse (1amp) in the Live feed and used it to charge my "ANALOGUE" Mobile! in the Caravan. so it can be done!. I suspect that it still lies somewhere in my "box of bits"!!.

The car is 2006 vintage Toyota Rav4. Possibly canbus?. best to check.

Pete

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Can bus wires only generally carry a signal to tell something to switch on and off and provide feed back to the ECU they do not carry the 12 volt feed, can signal wires are normally 2 wires twisted together so fairly easy to identify.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Can bus wires only generally carry a signal to tell something to switch on and off and provide feed back to the ECU they do not carry the 12 volt feed, can signal wires are normally 2 wires twisted together so fairly easy to identify.

The two mirror feed wires are separately sleeved and show 12v. I have a little regulator on order.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the Motorhome I used one of the 3 quid eBay USB supplies fitted under the dash wired to the igniton switched radio feed.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
OK, I have the wiring plan sorted, now to pick a replacement sat nav - the original one hangs too low on the screen and anyway, I want something a big better and I have a short list.
I've been using sat navs for a good number of years but have only ever had ones with screens. I have never used them to replayed any video but I do find a screen "necessary" to check that the camera is pointing in the right direction (it helps). Adjustable mounts do loosen sometimes.

With the restricted amount of space I have on this new vehicle it looks likely that I'll be going for a camera without a screen and possibly adhesive mounted too.

My question is - in general - if you have a screenless camera how do you check it's aimed correctly without running some video on another device?

I'm not looking for any recommendations for particular dash cams - just "how do you do it?"

ps - I'm not into smart phones or the like so using a wifi connection to the camera is not an option for me.

Last edited:

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
No need for a regulator, dismantle cigarette type plug, if required a reducer built in, that is why some plugs are a bit bulky, cut feed wires to reducer from the plug.
Wrap up WELL reducer already in the plug in insulation tape.
Make connections to your ignition switched supply, and your done.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
All sorted (my posting of Sept 30 made some references to sat navs, that's because I'm a plonker).

My new dash camera, Mobius 1080, is up and running. Wired into the 12v mirror feed through a tiny DC converter. Neatly tucked behind the mirror and almost invisible from the driver's seat. No wires trailing anywhere. Well pleased. Nice little camera.
Now for my next task - where on earth can I find space for a second battery in an already full campervan? I think my only chance is a couple of 2" sky hooks. :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
All sorted (my posting of Sept 30 made some references to sat navs, that's because I'm a plonker).

My new dash camera, Mobius 1080, is up and running. Wired into the 12v mirror feed through a tiny DC converter. Neatly tucked behind the mirror and almost invisible from the driver's seat. No wires trailing anywhere. Well pleased. Nice little camera.
Now for my next task - where on earth can I find space for a second battery in an already full campervan? I think my only chance is a couple of 2" sky hooks. :)

Got any Space Under the floor of the Wardrobe?. That where my second one went, in a closed box with a vent through the floor.

Pete

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

HSE Warning Use only metric 50mm Sky hooks for lead acid batteries as per EU Directive 363635/65
G
PS I just happen to have two for sale;)

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Got any Space Under the floor of the Wardrobe?. That where my second one went, in a closed box with a vent through the floor.

Pete

Wardrobe? What's that?
I do "real" motorhoming - in a campervan! No such luxuries as wardrobes.
I've had some experience with gin palaces but found their equipment and fittings became more important than the journey and destination.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
HSE Warning Use only metric 50mm Sky hooks for lead acid batteries as per EU Directive 363635/65
G
PS I just happen to have two for sale;)

I assume they have "Type approval" and are C-E marked?.:whistle::whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back