Q2 Drinking water, an easy one I think (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
OK, carrying around around 100 litres of water, do you drink it from tap or filter it? thinking uk water top ups and Europe? Other options could be carry separate drinking water or buy bottled water. not sure what you generally do??

Is tank water safe to use? any advice greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
So safe to use.. I just thought stored water in a tank is a good breeding ground for, well the shytes etc!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
bottled all the time for us to drink, not worth the risk, although if on a site were we trust the water we do refill our bottles (y)

without a filter I would not risk it, but we do leave our water tank full at all times

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We drink from tank if I know it was filled with good clean water
Only time we did not was in Morocco
I do tend to flush and clean tank about once a month and drain it down if van is going to be Stood for over a week

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We only drink bottled water as its so cheap in France and Spain just use tank for anything else

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Ideally you should avoid mixing water from different supplies. It can cause taste issues.
Personally I have topped up the tank and not had an issue up to now

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Thanks

I think in the whole scheme of things, I think its worth fitting a water filter / purifier. But its good to know what you normally do!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have never had any problem drinking from the tank but nowadays usually only for boiling first and have bottled for straight drinking, which usually lives in the fridge. Started this when first visiting Morocco and although their water is normally perfectly safe decided not to take the chance - it doesn't amount to huge volumes. I generally flush it out a couple of times a year and empty it if in storage for longer than a couple of weeks.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Tank water for toilet ,shower and washing up but bottled for drinking and cooking. Although we have found what looks like a filter next to the boiler but never changed it so unsure.

Have seen some unsavoury usage of hoses cleaning out cassettes when attached to the drinking water! Ugh won't fill up then.

We usually take our Yorkshire water in a container for the first 2 days so my Yorkshire tea tastes the same! Off to Norfolk and don't like that water!( plays havoc with my hair!!)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I would drink it from the tank if fresh, but my wife likes to play safe, so we fill other containers from the same supplies and drink that (the only difference is that it is no more than about 2 days old when drunk).
We don't buy bottled water (in the past I have not got on with some bottled water when in France).

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Why does Volvic bottled water, which they boast has been filtered through volcanic rocks for millions of years have a sell by date?

Your right of course, but I and others have been pi**ing in mountain springs for decades :LOL::ROFLMAO:

:);)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a look at the filter which you might find on the inlet side of your pump. I've had leaves coming out of a tap where we were filling up. I think it was stored in a tank with a badly fitting lid .  :) But we didn't die and providing you drain the tank after each trip if you are not going to be using the MH for a while you should be safe.
However, we only drink water, unless it is to be boiled for tea, from bottles which we fill from taps. If there's nothing visibly floating in the water it should be safe and has been for us so far. :)
A filter which will remove bugs is a good investment, the naturepure (?) ones are well regarded if expensive. There are cheaper alternatives.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why does Volvic bottled water, which they boast has been filtered through volcanic rocks for millions of years have a sell by date?
While its passing through volcanic rock its in a dark cold place....stick it in a bottle on a shop shelf or fridge and its exposed to light and sun.
Algae and mold need air and light to grow....and its stagnant.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If drinking water go in the tank then drinking water comes out the tap..(y)

Ditto - but some older tanks do taint the water, refill a couple of 5ltr tesco water bottles for drinking if it does.
Almost all the water we drink has been boiled first any way.
We never sterilised our tank or have a food grade hose and have never had a problem in 15 years - home or abroad.
Some people really do get neurotic about being poisoned by their water tank.:Eeek:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It's a funny one this, how many of us can remember in the old days drinking from the upstairs tap where it came from a cast iron rusty tank in the loft with all sorts in it, from the garden hose, from any tap we could find and we stuck our lips round it..! :eek: From swimming in rivers, lakes and the sea.....

It's probably why kids have no immunity to viruses and bugs these days.... :unsure:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It's a funny one this, how many of us can remember in the old days drinking from the upstairs tap where it came from a cast iron rusty tank in the loft with all sorts in it, from the garden hose, from any tap we could find and we stuck our lips round it..! :eek: From swimming in rivers, lakes and the sea.....

It's probably why kids have no immunity to viruses and bugs these days.... :unsure:
And lead pipes!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I rarely have more than 30 litres in the tank, just used for washing and flushing. For cooking and drinking we use a 5 litre water carrier and a couple of water bottles, just from habit. I always drain off residual water if the van is standing for more than a few days, before leaving home we put 30 litres in the tank. It is never full, we find 10 litres every day or every other day suffices. When in the western isles earlier this year we did tend to carry a little more drinking water but need not have bothered as there is water everywhere.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I opted to install the nature pure water filter to be on the safe side, don't want to have to worry about having dicky tummies whilst away on holiday. Although you could buy an awful lot of bottled water for the cost of the filter, I'd personally rather have the one off payment then continually purchasing bottled water(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Because our Moho wasn't new when we bought it we don't know what's gone on in tank so we use either bottled water or refill a bottle when in the uk. People will tell you that the water is safe to drink on the continent, this maybe true, but why do the locals only drink bottled water?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back